The 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

Nostalgia

Tis is truly amazing how desktop warriors, who never drove, much less own an Alfa, can freely give their expertised opinions (largely negative) on Alfa cars. My relative's, my firend's, my friend's  friend's Alfa got this and that

Just wanna chalk up points?   Oh ic

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

(edited)

Tis is truly amazing how desktop warriors, who never drove, much less own an Alfa VW, can freely give their expertised opinions (largely negative) on Alfa VW cars. My relative's, my firend's, my friend's  friend's Alfa VW got this and that

Bro.. I help you do correction liao. No need to thank me.

Yours sincerely,

A VW owner petrolhead.

Edited by Jellandross

Bro.. I help you do correction liao. No need to thank me.

Yours sincerely,

A VW owner petrolhead.

[wave] [wave] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Hypersonic

Tis is truly amazing how desktop warriors, who never drove, much less own an Alfa, can freely give their expertised opinions (largely negative) on Alfa cars. My relative's, my firend's, my friend's  friend's Alfa got this and that

objectively speaking, we are the "difficult, dunno what true petrolheadism is like" mass market consumers that AR are literally DYING to win us over  [nod]

And well, they better produce a better product than the Germans can offer. Cos almost as good or just as good doesn't cut it anymore. Doesn't include the other companies like Jaguar etc out there.

(edited)

I have had some intimate knowledge of Italian cars, having dealt with them and owned a few, including a joyful turbocharged Lancia which I took to 250k km. Haven't owned an Alfa though, even if I had driven many.

They are (usually) a joy to drive, with fizzy, engaging engines which begs to be revved, and keen, safe handling. Reliability issues mostly are related to build quality. Interiors do squeak, suspension squacks, panels can be misaligned, doors wont shut well and paintwork is variable. Electrics may also fail. Every car seemed to be built differently.

The ownership experience can be sorely tested due to these irritations. My Italian cars gave me pleasure and pain in equal measure.

However though, the drivetrain seemed very robust - their engines and gearboxes are strong and do not fail prematurely and expensively like some Teutonic brands I hear and read of. Like the early MB272 or BMW M60 or more recently, the infamous VW DSG. It seemed Italians get their fundamentals right but do not grasped the importance of the ancilliaries.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 5

Supersonic

objectively speaking, we are the "difficult, dunno what true petrolheadism is like" mass market consumers that AR are literally DYING to win us over [nod]

And well, they better produce a better product than the Germans can offer. Cos almost as good or just as good doesn't cut it anymore. Doesn't include the other companies like Jaguar etc out there.

Alfa has degenerated into rebadged Fiats which are 3rd rate at best. What's there left to argue?

Alfa has degenerated into rebadged Fiats which are 3rd rate at best. What's there left to argue?

Hehe if let you choose boring usual Japanese make vs Alfa at a slight premium, which will you choose?

Then again, if let you choose Alfa vs German marque like Mercedes Benz, which will you choose, if affordability no issue?

Turbocharged

blown head gasket, broken gear guide, faulty abs sensor that causes car to jerk erratically right, mutliple upper and lower linkage arm changes, worn drive shaft, selespeed pump and actuator, sticky trims and panels that leeches black paint mark on contact, power window motor.

These occurred within 7yrs of ownership and arguably is less than what others have encountered. Getting their basic right? Pretty meh IMO.

Character? That's usually how a not-so-pretty girl is described .很有个性. I guess in application to cars, this is how a problematic car would be described as.

The only saving grace was the twinspark, but even that is gone now.

Hypersonic

Tis is truly amazing how desktop warriors, who never drove, much less own an Alfa, can freely give their expertised opinions (largely negative) on Alfa cars. My relative's, my firend's, my friend's friend's Alfa got this and that

Just wanna chalk up points? Oh ic

How did you think expert negative opinions of Chinese cars came about?

We are all hypocrites aren't we?

Supersonic

Hehe if let you choose boring usual Japanese make vs Alfa at a slight premium, which will you choose?

Then again, if let you choose Alfa vs German marque like Mercedes Benz, which will you choose, if affordability no issue?

I had MB b4 this. It's reliable.

Twincharged

blown head gasket, broken gear guide, faulty abs sensor that causes car to jerk erratically right, mutliple upper and lower linkage arm changes, worn drive shaft, selespeed pump and actuator, sticky trims and panels that leeches black paint mark on contact, power window motor.

These occurred within 7yrs of ownership and arguably is less than what others have encountered. Getting their basic right? Pretty meh IMO.

Character? That's usually how a not-so-pretty girl is described .很有个性. I guess in application to cars, this is how a problematic car would be described as.

The only saving grace was the twinspark, but even that is gone now.

u would think that rust would be the biggest topic .

I had one that the Door hinge broke on an alfa 33

Turbocharged

Seems to me that Alfa owners are quite a defensive lot, but i guess it's the same for any other brand  [laugh]

My family used to be an Alfa family, i think the last count is 14 Alfas owned from the 70s to late 90s. All i can remember are the Gulias, Guliettas, Berlinas, 33 QV, 75 and the last one was the relaunched Gtv from 1996. Fun cars (i loved the 75 and the Gtv)but  i managed to blow a headgasket/overheat the Gtv and the sunroof would always have issues.

Ask me to buy an Alfa now? Errr no thanks.

• Praise 3

I had MB b4 this. It's reliable.

One swallow doesn't make a summer...

My MB had more major issues than my Alfa...

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Bro, think I gotten the strut bar from you when you dekitted

Bro, think I gotten the strut bar from you when you dekitted

My car was quite stock then ley, don't think its me la

Hypersonic
(edited)

Lol. nowadays with reliability surveys, we also know the summer lah.

But here is some people are saying summer is not the swallow, swallow is not the summer, a swallow is also not a swallow [laugh]

Anyway it's a perception issue lor.

If the koreans can make their cars become accepted in europe. I don't see any reason why Alfas can't unless too many people have said never again.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Lol. nowadays with reliability surveys, we also know the summer lah.

But here is some people are saying summer is not the swallow, swallow is not the summer, a swallow is also not a swallow [laugh]

Anyway it's a perception issue lor.

If the koreans can make their cars become accepted in europe. I don't see any reason why Alfas can't unless too many people have said never again.

Bro, coz many ppl know that the world has moved on and "character" in a disguised fiat juz doesn't cut it anymore.
↡ Advertisement