All Road Accidents Involving Cyclists

Sabian

Turbocharged

Was searching for a suitable thread to post this but found threads about cyclist accidents on specific roads or in the complaints section about cyclist. So here goes...timing is quite tragic.

http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/woman-killed-cement-mixer-while-cycling-yishun?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1463443842

Three women were cycling across a pedestrian crossing in Yishun when tragedy struck.

A cement mixer turned into their path and collided with the woman in the middle.

It then ran over the same woman, Madam Lin Shui Yu, 59, killing her on the spot.

Madam Lin was on her way home with her two friends when the accident happened at the T-junction of Yishun Avenue 9 and Yishun Central, her family members told the media.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force was alerted to the accident at 11.25am, and pronounced her dead at the scene.

DISTRAUGHT

Madam Lin's family members who were at the scene were distraught. They said she was taking care of her grandchildren and had celebrated her birthday last weekend with her grandson.

A female relative knelt at the spot where Madam Lin was hit and wailed: "Why did you have to go?"

She had to be supported and moved away by other family members when the pedestrian light turned red and vehicles started turning into the junction.

Madam Lin's daughter, who declined to be named, said she wanted justice to be served.

"I just want to know why the driver did not stop. He should have been able to see my mother," she said.

The driver of the cement mixer, a 50-year-old male, was arrested by the police.

A reader who wanted to be known only as Ms Ho, 34, called The New Paper hotline when she saw the blue tent along the road.

Police are investigating.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Supercharged

Yup this is the accident that I drove pass during lunch time yesterday. 

The bicycle was completely mangled. I only recognize it as a bicycle after I saw the twisted wheels and the handle bar.

RIP.

• Praise 1

Vehicle approaching junction to do a left turn with green in his way, turn left to check blind spot, then turn right to check for approaching vehicle on the right. All these done with foot on brake slowing the vehicle, all is clear then release brake to complete left turn.

Suddenly a bicycle/e scooter/ roller blader appeared from nowhere speeding across the pedestrian crossing…….

I remember some time back there was an accident involving a heavy vehicle and 2 brothers on a bicycle. Similar scenario. Nowadays, drivers have to really come an almost complete stop before completing the left turn.

The rule by right is that cyclists got to dismount when crossing the road, right?

Was it because so that they are slower & easier to judge for other road users, in this case, vehicles that are turning into their path.

Sad accident. Nobody deserves to go like this. RIP.

Turbocharged

3 cyclists were cycling across the pedestrian crossing...

The cement mixer collided with the middle cyclist.

She just celebrated her birthday. [bigcry]

• Praise 1

Vehicle approaching junction to do a left turn with green in his way, turn left to check blind spot, then turn right to check for approaching vehicle on the right. All these done with foot on brake slowing the vehicle, all is clear then release brake to complete left turn.

Suddenly a bicycle/e scooter/ roller blader appeared from nowhere speeding across the pedestrian crossing…….

I remember some time back there was an accident involving a heavy vehicle and 2 brothers on a bicycle. Similar scenario. Nowadays, drivers have to really come an almost complete stop before completing the left turn.

I think even complete stop also no use, we all knows that bicycle or worst still, those e-bicycle is fast. They are not like pedestrian where the walking speed is less than 4km/hr.

When the driver check and clear all blind spot, and start to move off, there could be suddenlly a bicycle dash out from no where. Unless the driver is mentally prepared for such situation. Otherwise, sure bang onto the bicycle.

This is very true if you stay in Yishun, I have not once, not twice but many times, almost bang onto e-bicycle that dash out from zebra crossing, dash out pedestrian crossing, and better still, some even cycle on middle lane and zoom thru the red light, thinking that their Chingay decorative LED light could grab attention of the rest of the road user and siam their fast and furious e-bicycle.

• Praise 15

I think they need a public awareness program like send flyer to every household and put big sign in front of the traffuc light pole, to educate pedestrians or cyclist have to be very very careful when crossing these junctions.

I agree cyclist are taking this for granted and also pedestrian walk across with their eyes on the phone.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Its time to start education ... provide education to all road users ...

Maybe a "Road Safety" programme being rolled up in schools?

This is precisely why cyclists should dismount and push their bikes across the pedestrian crossing. The risk accidents would then be very much reduced.

• Praise 1

yup, but how often do we see cyclists dismount and push .... ?

this is what happen if they dun, they have to wake up and take the risk of been knock down if they dun.

• Praise 1

(edited)

"I just want to know why the driver did not stop. He should have been able to see my mother," she said.

Im not trying to be sour, but if he's able to see her mother, he would not be so crazy purposely run over her

Her mother should be more able to see the truck, dont ride over the road until the truck move off 

Edited by Dfx16

yup, but how often do we see cyclists dismount and push .... ?

EXACTLY!  Only takes 1 incident for them NEVER to have that opportunity to ever learn and do it right.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Im not trying to be sour, but if he's able to see her mother, he would not be so crazy purposely run over her

Her mother should be more able to see the truck, dont ride over the road until the truck move off 

That thought crossed my mind too. But what about the other 2 cyclists whom the deceased was cycling in between? Did they not see the truck? Very sketchy details in the article. 

Hopefully, the investigation sheds more light on the tragedy.

↡ Advertisement