Studied too much, stuck in an unstable dead-end job...how?

Zyklon

Thanks for all the relevant comments.

To be honest, the one that sounded the most useful to me was Jamesc, simply reminding me about not having true values to companies.

All the bashing and mocking started after someone went to do a post search and started making certain assumptions. Personally, I do not see how consumption behavior is relevant to looking for a job.

To set things straight, typical PhD fresh grads are offered around 4.2k-4.5k on 13-16 months package, often on renewable contract basis. So really, there is nothing to haolian about. I am not looking at jumping to a senior position and have no intention of doing so, simply because I do not think I have the experience or knowledge to fulfil the role. So really, the positions I applied to and have no news are pretty much entry or mid, no managerial role. This is troubling.

As to why not teaching, I don't think it is something that I have the capacity to do full time.

And as to why do a PhD, the question at that point in life was more of "Will I be able to graduate", rather than "why do a PhD". Perhaps, when many of your peers go on to do it, it became almost like the next natural thing. It is just like doing a degree after JC.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

I have a PhD. I have been through much difficult times.

I have typed a page of advice but deleted it, to avoid potential misinterpretation.

I joined a LinkedIn network of PhD folks that can support each other. PhDs or students who are keen to join pls PM me your LinkedIn email. Or just search for 'Singapore PhDs' in LinkedIn and join it. Good for sharing advices, career tips and opportunities etc.

The group was set up as we found that this group faces unique career challenges and opportunities.

For those who are thinking of doing PhD, u can also contact me, I may be able share info w u. The problem is some of us go in blind. PhD is not like a Master. It has a much more profound impact on your career, for better or worse. Always good to know more about the prospects.

Edited by ECONOMIC
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

I started off as bachelor

Then I have 2 MBAs (married by accident+married but available)

Now PhD (permenant head demage)....Heng not Probably Heading for Divorce

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

As to why not teaching, I don't think it is something that I have the capacity to do full time.

Why not? Quite a routine job with regular hours.

I considered doing PhD after getting post-grad masters by research. But what scared me most was that I maybe couldn't survive at univ level because of the research that must be generated in order to maintain the job.

Teaching was not a problem. But generating new research work and original ideas worthwhile to be published and recognized... another story. I am honestly quite amazed that my supervisor can keep on publishing in one or two specific areas, by investigating into niche techniques / methods that apparently has not been done before. So can always generate journal articles regularly.

I think there seems to be misconception that getting PhD is just "study hard, a lot" but as far as scientific/technical PhD is concerned, it is more about being able to come up with original, new areas to work on that has not been thought of, and therefore, worthwhile to do and will be worthy of publishing. On top of that, the scope of work must be feasible, given the support and equipment, etc. otherwise can never graduate! This scared me a lot too...

So never did the PhD... [laugh]

• Praise 2

Today ST reported that China also produced 'fake degree' at the cost of S$32/- ... :XD:

Maybe a PhD from China cost $64/- ..... :slow:

heng ah i prembaree tree oni

If you take a walk at Biopolis and u throw a stone, chances are u will hit a PhD holder. That is how common it is.

I read your post 20 times and my conclusion from reading is stones are rarer than PhD.

[laugh]

But on a serious note:

We know not all schools are the same.

Eg if you score an A grade in a kampong school and an A grade in an elite town School. High probability is a student with an A grade from a kampong school will likely to get a B or C grade if he were to take the test in the elite town school.

So for PhD obtained from various universities, how does an employer knows exactly for similar or equivalent PhD which is better and better prepare the candidate for the job.

Eg. Another observation, if a student is from RI or ACS even though he may get real bad results but in general society has this opinion there are smarter than even if the student from a Christian Brother school like St Patrick's School has obtain multiple A grades. So school branding important.

I am guessing that is why we still have top schools and universities in the world.

• Praise 4

Hypersonic
(edited)

heng ah i prembaree tree oni

And yes I also PhD (pizza hut delivery)....... what is your engine cc?? Mine Honda Cub [:p]

I deliver to your house . PM me for special deals for Prembaree 3 stulents [scholar] ;

Must show Leport Buk   

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 2

Every School Is a Good School

Not I say one.... ask them:

https://www.moe.gov.sg/education/education-system/every-school-a-good-school

http://www.pmo.gov.sg/mediacentre/prime-minister-lee-hsien-loongs-national-day-rally-2013-speech-english

http://www.pmo.gov.sg/mediacentre/prime-minister-lee-hsien-loongs-2014-new-year-message

:grin:

I read your post 20 times and my conclusion from reading is stones are rarer than PhD.

[laugh]

But on a serious note:

We know not all schools are the same.

Eg if you score an A grade in a kampong school and an A grade in an elite town School. High probability is a student with an A grade from a kampong school will likely to get a B or C grade if he were to take the test in the elite town school.

So for PhD obtained from various universities, how does an employer knows exactly for similar or equivalent PhD which is better and better prepare the candidate for the job.

Eg. Another observation, if a student is from RI or ACS even though he may get real bad results but in general society has this opinion there are smarter than even if the student from a Christian Brother school like St Patrick's School has obtain multiple A grades. So school branding important.

I am guessing that is why we still have top schools and universities in the world.

• Praise 2

Understand there are quite a few old birds in MCF, will be grateful if anyone can shed some light on this situation. Facing some employment crisis...

A bit of my background, I graduated from a local university with an engineering degree a few years back. My GPA wasn't the best, but it was good enough for a first class honors and was in top 10% of the cohort.

From there, I went on to work at a SME providing engineering services (basically, big companies outsource their engineering design needs to us), while doing a part time PhD at the same local university. Within 3.5 years, I ticked all the KPIs required for graduation and submitted my thesis. Reviews for my thesis were extremely positive and I was then able to graduate. This was by no means an easy feat because most full time students struggle to even produce a proper thesis in 4 years. I reckon that credit should also be given to the massive support I got from my professors at school and my ex-bosses at work.

Upon graduation, I moved on to another company. Salary isn't high, but I really wasn't expecting too much considering that I was "new" in their domain- Same type of work, but in a different domain. In layman terms, it will be equal to domestic helper cleaning home vs. hotel chambermaid cleaning hotel rooms. Things were fine in the beginning, mostly because I lacked the knowledge in the new industry and also their business processes. Aong the way, I learned and learned, and eventually got the hang of things after a few months.

Herein, the problem set in. Being a new guy, I was always assigned to some "senior" staffs under a couple of new area projects, playing the role of "assistant", which I am perfectly fine with. I do not mind being a follower, if the project leader is capable of teaching me something. However, in this cases, the project leaders knew nothing about the domain, nor the process. It was actually their first time running such projects too. What this effectively meant was that I was doing all the leg work, mind work and practically everything, while not a single credit was given. When things were not perfect, I had to take the blame because it was my work. When things were great, suddenly I was forgotten. At the same time, my company started looking at restructuring and I couldn't be sure when it will be my turn. Dejected, I started looking for opportunities outside.

Despite numerous attempts at dropping resume and cover letters, I just couldn't find another job. After 5 months of job seeking, I got interviews with three companies. Weirdly, all gave the same conclusion, " We like you a lot, but your area of expertise...". This is despite my attempts at making clear that I was willing to learn and am a quick learner.

I am wondering what exactly is my problem in preventing me from moving on or getting a chance for an interview. Is it the advance engineering degree? Or my current over-inflated job title? Or do I give off the vibe that I am expensive to hire?

What will you do if you were in my shoe?

*Disclaimer, I am really cheap to hire. My peers, who started PhD together with me and graduated 1 year later (Remember...I took 3.5 years...most full time were taking 4.5 to 5 years), are easily drawing 10-30% more than me even without work experience.

Qualification and experience comes hand in hand, and interview skills plays a part too.

Maybe for now, your high education and no so high experience may not be doing you a favor. I will suggest you to ask yourself where us your interest at, and which area you can really excel in, then target companies along that line.

One of the experience i can see you had is you have good knowledge on how small companies can collaborate with big companies on projects, you may want to continue to excel in the SME space and grow up with them.

Companies are always looking at talent that can drives incremental growth to them.

Big companies, too many hierarchy, too many senior staff that is not aware on new ways to do things, yet relunctant to change. They might be sitting in that position by stepping on others, so you to be really careful.

One thing i always tell myself. When you are a fresh grad, learn as much about your industry as possible, when you are 30s, know as many people in your industry as possible and if possible, make your name a prominent 1 among the clients. When you are 40, when market changes, you have a good people resume.

• Praise 2

Today ST reported that China also produced 'fake degree' at the cost of S$32/- ... :XD:

Maybe a PhD from China cost $64/- ..... :slow:

Add $10 for the frame and $8 for a photoshopped picture of you in the graduation ceremony

Thanks for all the relevant comments.

To be honest, the one that sounded the most useful to me was Jamesc, simply reminding me about not having true values to companies.

All the bashing and mocking started after someone went to do a post search and started making certain assumptions. Personally, I do not see how consumption behavior is relevant to looking for a job.

To set things straight, typical PhD fresh grads are offered around 4.2k-4.5k on 13-16 months package, often on renewable contract basis. So really, there is nothing to haolian about. I am not looking at jumping to a senior position and have no intention of doing so, simply because I do not think I have the experience or knowledge to fulfil the role. So really, the positions I applied to and have no news are pretty much entry or mid, no managerial role. This is troubling.

As to why not teaching, I don't think it is something that I have the capacity to do full time.

And as to why do a PhD, the question at that point in life was more of "Will I be able to graduate", rather than "why do a PhD". Perhaps, when many of your peers go on to do it, it became almost like the next natural thing. It is just like doing a degree after JC.

Just curious. With first class Honours, why did you choose to go to a SME instead of a MNC?

Out of desperation? Or choice?

First job will have implication of the rest of the career...

• Praise 3

Like this? :grin:

article-2458303-18B86F2800000578-797_634

131015_officialsSilo_stonehenge.jpg.CROP

0013729e42ea0f738df619.jpg

Add $10 for the frame and $8 for a photoshopped picture of you in the graduation ceremony

• Praise 1

They didn't say that there are also tiers among all that goodness.

There are good, great, greatest schools ma.