First time car owner - what to get

Rachdanom

Will collect car on 8 or 9 June.  Thought I'd list down for fun what stuff I have planned to get ( some stuff may not be locally available I see a lot of Youtube).  These are basic necessities.  Not interested in nice to have items....

1.  Hozelock fitting for connecting hose to MSCP paid tap

2.  Hose - Prob like 10m long

3.  Pail with grit guard

4.  Car Shampoo - Optimum No Rinse

5.  Wax - Meguairs Spray Wax

6.  Microfiber cloths - 10 pcs (plan to use Single Bucket with several cloths for 1 wash)

7.  Leather cleaner  - Chemical Guys

8.  Leather conitioner - Chemical Guys

9.  Vacuum - I got a Dyson handheld so no need to buy

10. Brushes for tyres - I dont see much point in cleaning tyres to be honest...

11. Suction cup holder for phone for Google Maps navigation

12.  Sun shade - Need to install Blackvue first before buying to make sure it doesn't block the view

Planned regiment :

1.  Wash once a week or 2 weeks

2.  Wax after wash once a month

3.  Clean leather once a month (condition alternate month)

Thats all for now.....

Heard about Autobacs to will prob pay the place a visit this weekend.

Feel free to post :-)

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

In less than 6 months I have given up on the DIY car washing  [laugh]  Luckily I didn't buy too many products. Life is too short to be washing car!

I still have the interior cleaning products though, that one I do whenever the interior starts to look dusty.

For item 1 to 10, ignore it.

Juz PPS done once you collect your car.  After that, get groomer to wash it.  They do a better done than us.

I had nvr wash my car.  It takes 30mins from the point i arrive to collect a kim kim goot goot car.  It cost me $10 per wash.

Suction cup also useless after some time.  It will drop.  See whether there is any car specific phone mount available.

For item 1 to 10, ignore it.

Juz PPS done once you collect your car.  After that, get groomer to wash it.  They do a better done than us.

I had nvr wash my car.  It takes 30mins from the point i arrive to collect a kim kim goot goot car.  It cost me $10 per wash.

Suction cup also useless after some time.  It will drop.  See whether there is any car specific phone mount available.

Hi David,

You were the one who added me to the facebook page :-)  Thanks... I was Rachdanon on the Subaruclub page (typo so ended up with "m" here)

PPS all look so expensive.  Can't bring myself to part with it.

1.  Can recommend one that is not 4-figures or close to 4-figures? 

2.   Near Ubi ? 

These guys won't be negligent and put swirls on the car when they wash?  I walked past my neighbour's car and the swirls were so obvious..I wasn't even looking out for it, it just caught my eyes!

You can consider a usb powered mini fan. I got mine from japan store city square mall. $19.90

Thanks but I think I won't be lingering much in the car unless the aircon is on :-)..yeah I know the idling laws.

Blind spot mirrors

in-car video recorder

yeah never thought about those mirrors....are they really effective?

will be getting blackvue and cellink B.

Hypersonic

don't get too excited about washing/grooming your car

kilat kilat..but if got a dent....#&()$@&*! super sim tia to the max 

just go easy

nowadays im super lazy to wash car.  one month once go car wash at gas station (use credit card points..FOC)

• Praise 4

If buying a hose, why use Optimum no rinse?

Why not regular Meguiars Gold Class wash shampoo / Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo conditioner with a good quality wash mitt for wheels and body and drying towel for body?

Hi David,

You were the one who added me to the facebook page :-)  Thanks... I was Rachdanon on the Subaruclub page (typo so ended up with "m" here)

2.   Near Ubi ? 

These guys won't be negligent and put swirls on the car when they wash?  I walked past my neighbour's car and the swirls were so obvious..I wasn't even looking out for it, it just caught my eyes!

Thanks but I think I won't be lingering much in the car unless the aircon is on :-)..yeah I know the idling laws.

yeah never thought about those mirrors....are they really effective?

will be getting blackvue and cellink B.

I not that David.

I paid 4 figures for 6 session in Jan 2014.  As of now, i only used 2 session.  As my car is parked in MSCP most of the time, once 1 year is enough.

My car is carbon black.  There is no swirl mark.  Even when the car is very dirty, it still look kim kim goot goot.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Will collect car on 8 or 9 June.  Thought I'd list down for fun what stuff I have planned to get ( some stuff may not be locally available I see a lot of Youtube).  These are basic necessities.  Not interested in nice to have items....

3.  Pail with grit guard

6.  Microfiber cloths - 10 pcs (plan to use Single Bucket with several cloths for 1 wash)

12.  Sun shade - Need to install Blackvue first before buying to make sure it doesn't block the view

Planned regiment :

Thats all for now.....

You are totally out of focus. those are mostly wants, not needs.

These are what you really need:

- A good Torch light, LED ones

- Basic toolkit will screwdrivers and wrench, you never know when you need it

- 2 cash cards, 1 is for spare

- pouch to keep your cash cards and future petrol points cards, discount cards, club cards and parking cards.

- Cashcard cover, ask your SE to give, else you go buy fancy ones

- $10 coupons, orange and purple, and 1 night parking

- a notebook with 2x pen and a pencil in case the heat of the interior drys the ink.

- A bottle or water in the boot just in case with microfiber cloth.

- cargo net or bicycle hook

- tissue box, or tissue packs for cars. (don't bother wet tissue, they will dry up sooner or later with the heated interior while parking)

- In-car charger, never trust that USB port in your new car, it will take forever to charge even 1%

- Wide-angle rear mirror attachment, you have do away pesky blindspot mirrors with this

- Handphone holder, suction type. But please don't use google map realtime while driving, the GPS cannot keep up and you will get lost or miss a few turns. invest on a proper GPS.

- IN-CAR CAMERA. This is a 100% MUST to protect yourself from evil drivers who try to claim your fault during accidents.

- search, download and print accident/witness/private settlement declaration forms in case accident, you can get the other party to sign so they can't sabo you if there's an accident.

- copy of your insurance docs just in case.

- Air purifiers and sprays to remove odours

If you are hardcore:

- portable fire-extinguisher

- cross spanner for spare tyre change

- sunshade (check groovy shades) they are flexible and won't get in the way of the car cam.

Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 3

2.   Near Ubi ? 

Hi bro. Groomers Lab. Located at Synergy @ Kaki Bukit. Boss Rendall is fantastic with his workmanship and after sales service. Google them. Price won't break your bank. For the workmanship and price you will be paying for, I would say it is bang for the buck. No regrets.

@groomerslab 

Blind-spot mirrors attachments on ur side mirror.....for blindspot soso oni, but for parking (reverse or parallel) veri gd cos can see ur rear tires n bumper

Turbocharged

The 2 cashcards are a must for me. I like to leave 1 inside the IU and the other one as spare, sometimes run out of money can swap over while I top up the empty one when free. 

Don't be one of those blur kukus who get stuck at the carpark gantry and cause a huge jam behind.

Honestly, I did not think of the car engine off when idling rule when I got the usb fan. But it did come in very handy in such situations, basically just unwind window, off ignition and on fan.

I use the fan during night driving or rainy days like today. Totally switch off aircon. The fan is enough to make me comfortable.

Install door visor so you can unwind Windows slightly down to provide ventilation, the fan can help cool you down. Traveling at above 70km/HR windows down will create aero drag which increase your fc.

Normal day time driving, I use the fan with aircon set to weakest setting. The fan will amplify the aircon cooling without need to switch your aircon to higher power.

I do these when I'm alone driving. When I have passengers, I use aircon without fan. Anyway, I do understand what I'm doing is maybe a bit weird, but feel free to try it out.

Enjoy your new ride

(edited)

My Updated list :

1. Hozelock fitting for connecting hose to MSCP paid tap

2. Hose - Prob like 10m long

3. Pail with grit guard

4. Car Shampoo - Optimum No Rinse

5. Wax - Meguairs Spray Wax

6. Microfiber cloths - 10 pcs (plan to use Single Bucket with several cloths for 1 wash)

7. Leather cleaner - Chemical Guys

8. Leather conitioner - Chemical Guys

9. Vacuum - I got a Dyson handheld so no need to buy

12. Sun shade - Need to install Blackvue first before buying to make sure it doesn't block the view

13. Carpark coupons

14. 2x cash card

15. Private agreement form

16. Tissue box

17. Bottle of water (maybe with a dash of optimum no rinse)

18. Front and rear dash cam with extra battery (blackvue + cellink b)

19. Pen

Ps : 90% decided will save the money on a $600+ PPS

Edited by Rachdanom

3.  Pail with grit guard

Planned regiment :

Thats all for now.....

Must not forget the most important thing ... to collect car.

[laugh]

• Praise 1

The cleaning kit that I bought the moment I collected my car are still sitting in my boot... still look quite full and new after 8 YEARS.  [nod] 

The cleaning kit that I bought the moment I collected my car are still sitting in my boot... still look quite full and new after 8 YEARS. [nod]

Haha why am I not surprised... how often u clean and wax and any PPS?
↡ Advertisement