2nd Generation Audi A5 / RS5

Carbon82

The new generation of the Audi A5 will be officially revealed on June 2 with the company live-streaming the event online.

The two-door version of the A4 is expected to be lighter by up to 100kg (220 pounds) and offer more room inside, courtesy of a longer wheelbase.

The engine range will mirror that of the A4 as well, meaning a wide selection of turbocharged four-cylinder petrol and diesel engines, with more expensive versions coming with either a petrol or a diesel V6 turbocharged unit.

Audi has been teasing its new coupe with a series of animated gifs on its social media for a while now, revealing design details like the front headlight treatment and the curvy rear quarters of the bodywork.

Features like the Virtual Cockpit digital display is also present as expected. Apart for the two-door bodystyle, the new A5 will also get a convertible and a Sportback variant. Audi has been caught testing the range-topping RS5 which is reportedly going to use a turbocharged 3.0-litre V6 unit in the place of the naturally aspirated 4.2-litre V8, with an output close to 500hp.

2016-AudiA5Teasers-02.gif

2016-AudiA5Teasers-03.gif

2016-AudiA5Teasers-05.gif

2016-AudiA5Teasers-06.gif

2016-AudiA5Teasers-04.gif

2016-AudiA5Teasers-01.gif

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

I think the full body character line starting from headlight to rear lamp and in between the metallic emblem.. look quite nice.

But other than that, very safe & conservative design from Audi yet again.

A very interesting article on the new A5.

With most Audis these days, it’s not a question of “if”, but just “how much” their exterior design is reminiscent of the cars they replace, and in the case of the otherwise all-new A5, the answer is almost confusingly too much.

Now, we're not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, especially if you’re among those who are extremely fond of the original and admittedly elegant A5 Coupe that was presented nine years ago in 2007, and which, Audi former design boss, Walter de Silva, has always described as his ‘masterpiece’.

If you belong in this camp, then you’ll probably appreciate Audi’s near-facelift like approach with the exterior of the 2017 A5 and S5 Coupe duo. Unless you delve into details such as the pinched belt-line that’s more swelled around the wheel arches, door mounted mirrors and fender trims, the only other way to easily tell them apart from the outgoing models is the front end with the much lower and wider grille and bulged bonnet with added creases.

On the other hand, if you’re the type who thinks that an automaker should renew their designs with every model change - let alone after nine years, then you might want to move along, but before you do, you may want to take a look inside the new A5/S5’s cabin.

You see, if there’s one thing you can’t fault Audi for is having stale interior designs. Yes, the dashboard is identical to the latest A4, but that’s because the A5 is in essence, the coupe version of the family, just like BMW’s 4-Series and Mercedes’ C-Class Coupe are the two-door interpretations of the 3-Series and C-Class sedan respectively, so that’s to be expected. Otherwise, the cabin has been thoroughly renewed over the previous A5/S5.

For the past couple of decades, Audi has made some of the best interiors in the business and the A5/S5 continues this tradition, blending a Teutonic design with the latest gizmos in the industry and understated yet high quality decoration. Easily, the biggest highlight of the new layered dash is the available Virtual Cockpit display featuring a 12.3-inch TFT display with a resolution of 1,440 x 540 pixels. You also get a more simplified and uncluttered center console along with a bit more legroom due to the 12mm (0.5 inches) longer wheelbase and 10 liters (0.4 cu ft) of extra luggage space at 465 liters (16.4 cu ft) over the previous model.

What else is new about the new A5/S5 series? Well, among many other things you can't see, it’s based on the German group’s lighter yet slightly bigger MLB platform that helps shave 60kg or 132 pounds, it gets a newly developed electromechanical power steering, while Audi is promising significant efficiency gains from the latest powertrains that are currently topped off by the S5’s 349hp (354PS) turbocharged 3.0L V6.

After taking a first look, do you think that the undeniably familiar exterior design is a pro or a con here and what’s your overall impression of Audi’s new coupe?

• Praise 5

I can understand German brands having the copy & paste method for all their cars just lengthen or shorten according to the segment they are trying to fulfil.. but must have slight differentiation mah.

The interior 99.9% the same.. actually I can't spot anything different from my 2016 A4 interior.

Like that if I upgrade to the A5/S5 one day.. like driving same car lol

• Praise 1

I can understand German brands having the copy & paste method for all their cars just lengthen or shorten according to the segment they are trying to fulfil.. but must have slight differentiation mah.

The interior 99.9% the same.. actually I can't spot anything different from my 2016 A4 interior.

Like that if I upgrade to the A5/S5 one day.. like driving same car lol

The seats n steering wheel in a5 are different based on my quick observations
  • Praise 1

The seats n steering wheel in a5 are different based on my quick observations

A4 steering wheel have a few versions. The one shown above is S-line steering wheel for the S5.. which is 99% same as the S-line steering wheel in the A4.

The seats.. sad to say is also S-line sports seat found in the A4. A4 have another version of seats.. the standard non S-line, found in local trims for the base 1.4 TFSI models.

The new C-class coupe look more seksi.

Between A5, 4 Series & C-Class Coupe, my pick will be 4 series.

• Praise 5

Engines

The new Audi A5 Coupé will launch in Germany with five engines: two TFSI and three TDI units. Their power output has increased considerably and is now between 140 kW (190 hp) and 210 kW (286 hp). Compared with the previous model, they offer up to 17 percent more performance while consuming as much as 22 percent less fuel. All the engines combine high efficiency with sporty power development and smooth running - especially the two 3.0 TDI six-cylinder engines.

With its newly developed 3.0 TFSI, the Audi S5 Coupé is now in a league of its own. The turbo V6 exhibits highly efficient, sports car-like performance. From its 2,995 cc of displacement, the boosted six-cylinder engine produces 260 kW (354 hp) of power, which is 15 kW (21 hp) more than the engine in the previous model.

Drivetrain

The new Audi A5 Coupé comes with a drivetrain solution tailor-made for each engine variant. The manual six-speed gearbox and the seven-speed S tronic are used with the four-cylinder engines as well as the 160 kW (218 hp) 3.0 TDI with front- or all-wheel drive. The eight-speed tiptronic is reserved for the top diesel with 210 kW (286 hp) and the S5 engine. Both engines come standard with quattro all-wheel drive. Audi also offers the optional rear-axle sport differential for even more dynamic driving and precision.

The new quattro with ultra technology is also available for the first time. At the moment it can be combined with the four-cylinder TFSI and TDI engines with manual transmission. Optimized for efficiency, the drive system does not exhibit any perceptible differences to permanent systems in terms of traction and driving dynamics.

Chassis

The all-new chassis is among the strengths of the Audi A5 Coupé. It offers the driver optimal comfort combined with a high degree of agility. The A5 thus handles narrow, winding mountain roads and long trips on the Autobahn with equal aplomb. Audi offers a suspension with damper control as an option. This is integrated into the dynamic handling system known as Audi drive select, which enables the driver to modify the basic characteristic in multiple steps.

The electromechanical power steering is also a new development from Audi. It adapts according to the vehicle's current speed and provides highly precise road feedback. Optionally available is the dynamic steering, which varies its gear ratio depending on the speed and steering angle.

Body

The Audi A5 Coupé is significantly more efficient than its predecessor. This is due in large part to a reduction in weight as well as sophisticated aerodynamics. The engineers were able to trim the curb weight by as much as 60 kilograms (132.3 lb). The body is the lightest in the competitive field thanks to an intelligent mix of materials and lightweight design. With a drag coefficient of 0.25, the A5 Coupé is also the segment leader with respect to aerodynamics.

Interior

The interior benefits from the increased dimensions and longer wheelbase. Space for driver and passengers is more generous. The

horizontal architecture of the instrument panel and the continuous air vent strip create a wide sense of space.

As is typical for Audi, interior build quality is uncompromisingly high. High-quality materials in a wide range of colors provide for a particularly pleasant ambiance and underscore the premium character of the mid-sized model. Optional ambient lighting highlights the interior with a choice of 30 adjustable shades. The new A5 Coupé also redefines the class benchmark for aeroacoustics. The acoustic comfort is almost that of a luxury class model.

The luggage compartment offers a volume of 465 liters (16.4 cu ft), 10 liters (0.4 cu ft) more than with the previous model. The rear seat has a 40:20:40 split and can be easily folded forward using levers in the luggage compartment. Audi also offers the two-door coupé with optional gesture control for opening the luggage compartment lid via a foot motion. The optional trailer hitch is electrically released at the press of a button.

Display and controls

The A5 Coupé is now available for the first time with the optional Audi virtual cockpit, a 12.3-inch TFT display with a resolution of 1,440 x 540 pixels. Together with the MMI navigation plus including 8.3-inch monitor on the center console, it forms the central information unit. The focal point of the MMI terminal is the round rotary pushbutton. Its surface is home to the touch-sensitive touchpad. The touchpad is used to input characters and also for multifinger gestures, enabling the driver to zoom in on the map, for example. The whole MMI control logic is similar to that of a smartphone, including the intelligent free text search function. The new, more natural voice control system can recognize input made using everyday language, such as: "I would like to call Peter."

Infotainment and Audi connect

Customers choosing MMI navigation plus automatically also get the hardware module Audi connect and the new Audi connect SIM, a SIM card permanently installed in the car. The new Audi A5 Coupé uses this to connect to the Internet via the ultrafast LTE network. Use of the versatile Audi connect services is free of charge of three years, both in Germany and in most European countries. The respective national provider is selected automatically as needed.

Independent of the integrated Audi connect services, customers can also purchase optional data packages for individual Internet use using the Wi-Fi hotspot. This allows all passengers to surf the Web and send/receive email with up to eight mobile devices at attractive rates.

The A5 can also be equipped with the optional Audi connect safety & service package. This includes such functions as an automatic emergency call in the event of an accident, online roadside assistance and Audi service request as well as remote functions that can be used with the MMI connect app on a smartphone, smartwatch or - in conjunction with the fourth generation Apple TV - from a television.

Examples include locking and unlocking the car, checking where the car is parked and calling up the vehicle status.

With the Audi smartphone interface, Apple Car Play and Android Auto bring the familiar smartphone environment to the car, if desired. The optional Audi phone box with wireless charging in the center armrest uses near-field coupling to link smartphones wirelessly to the vehicle's antenna and enables inductive charging according to the Qi standard. For very discerning hi-fi fans, the Bang & Olufsen sound system with its innovative 3D sound is available as an option.

Driver assistance systems

An intelligent combination of different technologies enhances the safety, comfort and efficiency of the new Audi A5 Coupé. At the same time, Audi is also taking the next step toward piloted driving. The broad choice of innovative driver assistance systems sets standards in the segment. Compared with the previous model, nearly all of the systems are either completely new or have been extensively updated.

The predictive efficiency assistant helps the driver save fuel, Audi active lane assist helps keep the car on track in the driving lane, and the Stop&Go adaptive cruise control including traffic jam assist offers the driver relief in slow-moving traffic. New and important safety features include the park assist, cross traffic assist rear, exit warning, collision avoidance assist and turn assist as well as the Audi pre sense systems. Camera-based recognition of traffic signs rounds out the lineup.

The new Audi A5 Coupé will launch in Germany and additional European countries in fall 2016. Compared with the previous model, the list of standard equipment is even more generous. Among the features included are xenon headlights with LED daytime running lights and LED rear lights, LED interior lights, the Audi MMI radio plus with 7-inch MMI color display, Bluetooth and USB charging function, the three-spoke multifunction steering wheel (including shift paddles in models with automatic transmission), height-adjustable belt feeds, the Audi drive select dynamic handling system and Audi pre sense city.

New trim lines provide numerous customization opportunities, for both the interior and the exterior. Besides the base model, there are also the sport and design lines. The S line sport package and the Audi design selection are available for sophisticated customization, particularly for the interior. Audi offers the S line exterior package for a particularly dynamic appearance.

The Audi S5 Coupé

From 0 to 100 km/h (62.1 mph) in 4.7 seconds. The new Audi S5 Coupé combines dramatic elegance with the performance of a sports car. Its newly developed, turbocharged V6 engine produces 260 kW (354 hp) and consumes just 7.3 liters of fuel per 100 km (32.2 US mpg). The sharper S exterior design and the S-specific details in the interior underscore the dynamic character of the Audi two-door sports coupé.

• Praise 4

Neutral Newbie

Between A5, 4 Series & C-Class Coupe, my pick will be 4 seriC

C Class coupe for me win hands down

• Praise 1

More interested to see the Sportback...

I don't mind upgrade from B9 A4 to the new A5 sportback next time.. 2.0TFSI quattro version  :wub:

While I like the new digital screen dash, anyone else find the 2 plastic gauges for the temp and fuel to be too small and looks to be of cheap plastic? Spoils the otherwise nice instrument cluster. Cant tell from the pics but in real life I found em ugly.

Edited by Ake109

While I like the new digital screen dash, anyone else find the 2 plastic gauges for the temp and fuel to be too small and looks to be of cheap plastic? Spoils the otherwise nice instrument cluster. Cant tell from the pics but in real life I found em ugly.

I don't think they are plastic analog gauges.. Everything in the centre stack of the driver's view into the speedo cluster should be digital. Like the new Q7, TT, A4 and FL A3.

I could be wrong though hehe.

I don't think they are plastic analog gauges.. Everything in the centre stack of the driver's view into the speedo cluster should be digital. Like the new Q7, TT, A4 and FL A3.

I could be wrong though hehe.

I test drove the 2.0 Quattro at PA. The fuel and temp at the sides are plastic analog gauges.

↡ Advertisement