Switching back to Japanese Cars

Pss2

After driving conti for sometime, i think i will switch back to Japanese car (used). Anyone had experience with the following:

Toyota Mark X (2005 to 2011) and Nissan Teana 2.5 (previous model). The Teana is Japan made right? I don't want to buy a Thai made car. Drivers who owned these before please reply. I like to know the fuel consumption and the reliability of these vehicles.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Own the Mark X for 10 years till scrap recently. The V6 engine is sweet sounding and always eager to go. The 6 speed Aisin gear box is super smooth. Till scrap, still cannot feel the gear change. Maybe it's because I do ATF change every 20,000km. Downside: Cam gear cause heavy rattling sound during engine start, cost around $1k to change the components causing the noise. Alternator don't last as changed once after 5 years. Belt tensioner changed once. Fan motor changed once. The rest all lasted 10 years, even the coolant didn't changed at all. Overall a nice car to drive, maybe the chassis needs a bit strengthening.

Edited by Vertiga
  • Praise 5

Previous model of Teana is Jap made.

This version is Thai made. Thai car at Jap price. Not really worth it imo

Turbocharged

Mark X quite shiok car drive. Fav with MY car thieves though.. Teana current version made in Thailand.. Very good drive. Not popular with MY thieves.

Shud look at Infiniti.. Half bred. Body Jap.engine Conti. Price somewhere in between

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Bro, Buy pre-owned LEXUS

At least you wont feel the downgrade

post-161721-0-02718900-1466236000.jpg

After driving conti for sometime, i think i will switch back to Japanese car (used). Anyone had experience with the following:

Toyota Mark X (2005 to 2011) and Nissan Teana 2.5 (previous model). The Teana is Japan made right? I don't want to buy a Thai made car. Drivers who owned these before please reply. I like to know the fuel consumption and the reliability of these vehicles.

• Praise 22

Just change from A6 to 8 years old Lexus IS250 , 2.5 liter V6 sweet engine , gearbox very smooth and cabin super quiet . Although still love the A6 turbo feel , acceleration and long distance driving comfort . 

For the 8 years old Lexus just change the fuel pump and top gasket replacement due to some engine oil leak to the exhaust create some smoke from bonnet when stop . ( minor wear and tear issue ) 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

A Japanese once shares this with me. He was back in Japan to visit his main production line. All production workers to supervisors were non Japanese. Only those sitting in the office not directly involve in production are Japanese.

So although product came out of the plant in Japan, there is no difference from that same factory in another country. The only reason there are differences, cost cutting due to the sale price.

• Praise 3

A Japanese once shares this with me. He was back in Japan to visit his main production line. All production workers to supervisors were non Japanese. Only those sitting in the office not directly involve in production are Japanese.

So although product came out of the plant in Japan, there is no difference from that same factory in another country. The only reason there are differences, cost cutting due to the sale price.

Which brand is this? Personally I don't quite believe.
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged

Bro, I didn't say car. I mentioned product. What I am trying to illustrate is, if a particular brand treasure their brand, they won't want their product to be manufactured in sub standard quality even if it is make elsewhere. Ultimately, it is what you pay.

Generally it takes time to establish the quality control standards in a factory. The Toyotas made in Thailand are pretty good quality now. Compared to the first batch of Altis that rolled off the plant more than 10 years ago.

• Praise 4

Seems to be a story to shoot down Jap cars

Bro, I didn't say car. I mentioned product. What I am trying to illustrate is, if a particular brand treasure their brand, they won't want their product to be manufactured in sub standard quality even if it is make elsewhere. Ultimately, it is what you pay.

Not true.
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

JPN is not open-border SGP leh.

It is not easy for them to hire even 1 foreign worker.... let along replace their entire production lines with aliens.

• Praise 7

It is not easy for them to hire even 1 foreign worker.... let along replace their entire production lines with aliens.

Not true - they can hire ethnic Japanese from South America and that is one source of labour that has been tapped on for supporting manufacturing. 

I kinda agree with the person on the quality nowadays for japanese products. Used to work for a large Japanese company, I would say quality control is an issue nowadays especially in plants outside Japan. We handled too many quality issues and worst, they do not admit it is their problem until threaten with line down compensation and detail FA analysis. I am not trying to bash the brand but this is based on my personal experience working for them.

(edited)

It's not a unique Singapore problem whereby we don't want to work in production floor, Japan and elsewhere in most developed countries are facing the same issue. Sama sama even in Malaysia.

They may look Japanese, but many are PRCs,..... as what you will encounter in restaurants and customer service counters in Tokyo....

I have a friend with factory in Japan, can't get any Japanese to work at the shop floor. He has to import his 'talents' from his own kampung from MY. His only Japanese employee is the chai hoo (clerk/sexcretary).

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement