Switching back to Japanese Cars

Pss2

i know, jus bein kinda paranoid. n not that comfy knowin payin 100 grand or more. mayb older become more ngiao or kiasi.

That's my sentiment for Toyota in particular. For Nissan, I think they're still good, their 2.0 L class always has the luxurious quality mark, same for Honda. Subaru is also ok, build quality is good but basic - no frills. Mitsubishi has lost their way a bit but their quality seems intact, again basic and no frills. Mazda has improved a lot, feels good, solid and well put together. Class leader now I feel among the Japanese.
↡ Advertisement

I am confused now. Anyway you carry on......

I did mention I wasn't referring to Toyota. Having said that, if the Japanese is so patriotic and proud of their products and will not let others 'touch it'. You won't find their plants overseas. Aren't these plants manned by non Japanese?

As someone here mentioned. Maybe they try to control the QC by getting their Japanese staff to carry out this role. Can't their overeating plant also have Japanese QC?

I am not trying to run down on Japanese products. To me, it is about what you willing to pay most times.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Lousy racist discussion. Japanese on the assembly means quality will be great ? American on the assembly line menas quality will be great ? Grow up. Made in USA, Made in Japan, doesn't mean anything in the 21st century. Each product in the 21st century has its own merits, and likely will be a global product, Chinese funds, American marketing, Vietnamese workers, Japanese QC, German architects, whatsoever .. whoever gets execution right gets the right product.

how come no Sporeans in your example? Haiz... Look down on Sporeans see la.. But then how many Sporeans know how to assemble a car? Only know drain oil put oil.. Put solar film, put visors..Fix dents, knock panels and paint.. But wait those all done by Malaysians.. Edited by BenTong

Twincharged

how come no Sporeans in your example? Haiz... Look down on Sporeans see la.. But then how many Sporeans know how to assemble a car? Only know drain oil put oil.. Put solar film, put visors..Fix dents, knock panels and paint.. But wait those all done by Malaysians..

Supercharged

I am sure if you guys know in the early 60 or earlier. You don't buy Japanese products. They are inferior as compared to American and British. It took them many years to command the right price before their quality improved.

this is one factor why the jap invaded the asia becos they wanted to conquer the asia and make all the people to buy only MIJ products. no, this was not told to me by a japanese. i think the one who knew this had bring the secret with him to the underworld liao.  [knife]

That's my sentiment for Toyota in particular. For Nissan, I think they're still good, their 2.0 L class always has the luxurious quality mark, same for Honda. Subaru is also ok, build quality is good but basic - no frills. Mitsubishi has lost their way a bit but their quality seems intact, again basic and no frills. Mazda has improved a lot, feels good, solid and well put together. Class leader now I feel among the Japanese.

agree bro. but recently witnessed a client's 8yo sylphy with dashboard crack lines along centre area where HU panel trim running vertically n oso long instrument cluster curve - kinda concerned current one may have similar after few yrs, still i find nissan car design nowadays inclined to prc taste.

subbie n mit is no frills but the interior panel very plasticky n thin (compared to my current 8yo tucson, plasticky but thicker) after few times remove can rattle. but these r small issues as long as their drivetrain reliable.

agree mazda closest to conti standard but roominess n servicing cost fail imho.

now i pro-korean until witness / proven otherwise :)

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I am confused now. Anyway you carry on......

Sorry to have confused you. Maybe generation gap is the issue here haha. Toyota is a great brand and they have built a very reliable brand over time. No just because the product is from Japan or it is Japanese who manufactured them. Of course it is originated from Japan.

The standard has dropped again not due to the above same reasons but due to competition to lower cost and make higher margin. Branding cost $ but some brand would secrify quality to make that extra margin. Just like what Alibaba CEO is trying to says recently about fake products.

A Japanese once shares this with me. He was back in Japan to visit his main production line. All production workers to supervisors were non Japanese. Only those sitting in the office not directly involve in production are Japanese.

So although product came out of the plant in Japan, there is no difference from that same factory in another country. The only reason there are differences, cost cutting due to the sale price.

The end product still marketed as Made In Japan....we don't see a product that says Made by Japanese.

The end product still marketed as Made In Japan....we don't see a product that says Made by Japanese.

Just based on my observationsas  a tourist, I see hardly any foreigners, and those I see most can tell are tourists.  What I heard they are rather protective of their culture and language and dont embrace FT, definitely the opposite of Sg.  Not sure based on statistics how much this holds true though.

agree bro. but recently witnessed a client's 8yo sylphy with dashboard crack lines along centre area where HU panel trim running vertically n oso long instrument cluster curve - kinda concerned current one may have similar after few yrs, still i find nissan car design nowadays inclined to prc taste.

subbie n mit is no frills but the interior panel very plasticky n thin (compared to my current 8yo tucson, plasticky but thicker) after few times remove can rattle. but these r small issues as long as their drivetrain reliable.

agree mazda closest to conti standard but roominess n servicing cost fail imho.

now i pro-korean until witness / proven otherwise :)

Actually I was very impressed by my Impreza's build quality. Right up to the 9 year mark when I traded in the car for my current Sonata in April, the car exhibited no creaks and squeaks in the interior. The dash was still solid. Pressing hard against the different parts of the dash yielded no noises. Everything was in very good shape, no cracks or hazing or breakdown of the plastic surfaces. And I park under direct hot sun with zero shade for 9 years at work - at least 6 hours a day. And for the first 8 years, park at home with no shade cos open car park. The paintwork is also still very good. I didn't take the trouble to wash or polish the car but once you wash and polish, it's still shiny and smooth. Pretty amazed by the quality.

I also really like the build quality of the Sonata. Except that when I descend the multi-storey car park, the whole upper frame (glasshouse) creaks slightly at the first slope. After that it's ok. I wonder if it's due the panoramic sunroof, so that the glasshouse is not so rigid.

Lousy racist discussion. Japanese on the assembly means quality will be great ? American on the assembly line menas quality will be great ? Grow up. Made in USA, Made in Japan, doesn't mean anything in the 21st century. Each product in the 21st century has its own merits, and likely will be a global product, Chinese funds, American marketing,  Vietnamese workers, Japanese QC, German architects, whatsoever .. whoever gets execution right gets the right product. 

I couldn't agree more.

Bad quality is just bad quality.

And quality is a function of management.

So bad managers = bad quality and there

are bad managers from every race I am very

happy to say.

:D  

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Come on guys! How come no one talks about the quality of cars coming out of Toyota Tahara Plant?

That one is Lexus: Japanese made but Continental price. :D

Which brand is this? Personally I don't quite believe.

It can be true. I travel to Japan frequently. Was just back on 10th June. The restaurants or convenience stores plus shops I went are Chinese people.

↡ Advertisement