Are You A Big Spender For A High End Bed Mattress?

Yeobt

Twincharged

springs no good?

Simmons, Sealy  pocketed springs..... Omazz Talatech rubber..... Tempur space age material.....Waterbed......you should try them all to find your preference.

It is just that I find my Omazz good for me.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

hmm ... offhand cannot remember cos have not bought flat sheets from Taka Sheridan in the last 2 years, but knowing me (ie ngeow), should be like $100 or low $100+ range.

I buy those that are on 40% off and on card members day for an additional 10%.

only thing is probably not likely to have matching quilt + pillow case + bolster cover, so have to think a bit and do some mix and match. the ladies there are pretty experienced and can give good advise on how to mix and match. [thumbsup]

$100 not ngeow liao, the last i bought was also sale, 80%, only $40 or $50+ nia after discount :D

• Praise 7

Twincharged

Wah... People here spend so much on mattresses.

nope ... my queen size only $170 !!

• Praise 1

Supercharged

$100 not ngeow liao, the last i bought was also sale, 80%, only $40 or $50+ nia after discount :D

ikea even cheaper. my wife sweep a few sets from there.

I spent 2.5k for my mattress which i find ald expensive

I bought it because i feel comfortable and suits me. Even if 5k or 10k but too soft or too hard to my liking then i wont buy even if u give it to me for free [:p]

And just change the matress every 3-4 years will do if u did turnover every month.

Simmons, Sealy pocketed springs..... Omazz Talatech rubber..... Tempur space age material.....Waterbed......you should try them all to find your preference.

It is just that I find my Omazz good for me.

Tempur cannot put under sunlight, will spoil the mattress

I rather have no sun then have west facing flats. [laugh]

My service yard has no sun.

But if u have lived in a room/flat who faces the west sun, i think its a small price to pay [;)]

Yah west facing flat, u need to install 2 aircon in every bedroom lol
  • Praise 3

Possible to hang mattress cover or bedsheet as an additional curtain later?

Yah west facing flat, u need to install 2 aircon in every bedroom lol

• Praise 1

Possible to hang mattress cover or bedsheet as an additional curtain later?

Hmm maybe best is to put total blackout blind curtain.

Even though u can feel the wall is warm lol

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Just to share. Go and try Sea Horse brand. Most importantly, the mattress stay in shape after 10 years and the price..very reasonable. Not much advertisement and not the ang moh brand they is why it is cheap.

• Praise 2

I buy Sheridan ones cos very lasting.

I wait for sale at Taka or Tangs ... when its 40% + 10%.

if happen to be on holiday in Aust can buy from Sheridan outlet too.

I don't recommend buying bedsheet sets from Australia. Aussies don't know the pleasure of using bolsters. Their bedsheet sets don't include bolster cases.

While waiting at the baggage collection carrousel at Perth International Airport, I once saw someone (obviously from Singapore) check in bolsters. Probably bolsters can't be purchased there.

• Praise 1

Compare the Types

If you're shopping for a new mattress you could be overwhelmed by the variety of choice and prices ranging from too-low-to-believe to astronomical. But there's good news: Our years of testing have shown that, whatever type you choose, you don't have to spend over $1000 for a comfortable, supportive mattress. Here are the major types you'll see:
Memory Foam
Mostly polyurethane, memory foam is a favorite of people who take our survey and suffer from back and joint pain. A variation is latex foam, claimed to be hypoallergenic. Memory foam softens when you lie on it and soon molds to your body. Once you get up, it springs back to its original shape. Some owners feel it sleeps hot, however, and some mattresses take some effort to change position. Variations include models with infused gel to help keep it cool. Air it out before first use if you’re concerned about off-gassing.

Innerspring
These are traditional mattresses composed of steel coils in various configurations. They're often the least expensive—and the most widely sold. Variations can include special layers of cushioning, a pillowtop layer, and infused gel. “Hybrids” have one or more layers of foam on top of the springs. Shifting positions tends to be easy, but on some models your sleep partner might feel an annoying bounce when you do so.

Adjustable Air
You can inflate this type to your desired firmness using an electric pump attached to the bed. These typically include additional layers on top, such as foam. Most also let you inflate individual halves to different firmnesses to suit each sleep partner. But if you want to adjust the bed during the night, the noise of the pump can be annoying.

Four Mattress Myths

Common claims that haven’t held up in our tests:

Foam layers make a better bed. More innerspring mattresses now include foam on top. But the foam is often too thin to make a difference on some of the hybrid models. Hybrid innerspring models that scored well in our tests had a foam layer several inches thick, though performance still varied.

The more coils, the better. The better innerspring models we tested had 600 to 1,000 coils. But even if one mattress has more coils than another, the coils could be made of thinner-gauge metal. You’ll also hear about coil variations such as Bonnell (hourglass type), continuous wire, and individually pocketed springs. None of those is inherently superior.

Gel provides a cooler sleep. Some mattresses have a layer of gel-infused foam that’s supposed to provide a cooling effect. But that layer is buried beneath other layers. While our tests have shown that innerspring mattresses containing gel did tend to sleep slightly cooler, the reverse was true with gel-infused foam beds.

Extra lumbar support helps back sleepers. A special lumbar-support zone is one of many ways manufacturers try to differentiate their product lines. But there’s no guarantee that it makes any real difference, and it hasn’t shown significant benefits in our tests.

Shopping Tips

Lie down. If possible, lie on any mattress that you’re considering. Wear loose clothes and shoes you can slip off. Make yourself comfortable, and shoo away the salesperson if you’re feeling pressured. Salespeople should expect you to take your time. Spend at least five or ten minutes on each side and on your back (your stomach, too, if that's a preferred sleeping position). Panelists who took beds home for a month-long trial rarely changed the opinion they formed after the first night. Shopping online or at a warehouse club? Tryouts aren’t usually an option, so checking return policies before you buy is extra important.

Check return policies. Make sure the store offers a full refund or credit toward another mattress. Return periods, often called “comfort guarantees,” range from a couple of weeks to 120 days. Some retailers, including Macy’s and Sears, charge a 15-percent restocking fee. Costco and some online sellers provide free pickup if you want a refund or exchange, but otherwise, you’ll have to pay for it—or cart the mattress to the store. And you’ll be responsible for any damage.

Try to haggle. Once you’ve settled on a model, try to bring the price down. Many businesses, such as warehouse clubs, have fixed prices and won’t budge. But for retailers that do negotiate—particularly specialty chains—huge markups allow them to lower prices by 50 percent or more during their frequent sales. Our recommendation: Any time of year, insist on a sale price you’ve seen for the mattress you know you want, and don’t be afraid to walk out if you feel you’re getting a raw deal.

Don’t be bullied into buying a box spring. You might not need it. For an innerspring mattress, the box spring (also called a “foundation”) is a wood frame enclosing stiff wire and covered with fabric to match the mattress. For foam or adjustable-air mattresses, it’s a box several inches high. If you're switching to a foam or adjustable-air bed from an innerspring, you'll need a boxy foundation that lacks springs and wire. Otherwise, if your box spring isn't broken and is still structurally sound, consider keeping it and saving money (roughly $150 to $300 for a queen-size). One caveat: Some brands require you to buy their box spring to receive full warranty coverage.

Understand the warranty. It can range from 10 to 25 years and covers only manufacturing defects such as sagging and loose or broken coil wires. Coverage is frequently prorated, meaning that it decreases over time.

On delivery day. Never accept delivery without inspecting the mattress (and the box spring, if you buy one) for stains and other damage. Also be sure that the mattress has a label that states “all-new material” before you send the driver on his way. If it’s not there, refuse delivery. And keep it on afterward in case you do have to file a warranty claim in the future.

• Praise 9

the first thing that come to my mind is after spending 7K on the mattress, can my baby/ toddler sleep well in their bed first??

if not even i have the world's most comfy bed also no use cos have to wake up every 2-3 hours in the middle of the night?!!

:dizzy:

• Praise 2

Just don't get Lady Americana. Spent $3.8K on a king sized mattress and had a bad experience with their mattress.. Sales staff are alright but the quality just isn't there.

• Praise 1

went to this shop and saw a vono mattress with storage bed going for 2k, incl GST and delivery and disposal of old mattress. is this a good price for this brand?

• Praise 2

I don't recommend buying bedsheet sets from Australia. Aussies don't know the pleasure of using bolsters. Their bedsheet sets don't include bolster cases.

While waiting at the baggage collection carrousel at Perth International Airport, I once saw someone (obviously from Singapore) check in bolsters. Probably bolsters can't be purchased there.

everytime i go on holiday, cannot sleep well. Cos ... no bolster. A pillow just doesn't cut it  [bigcry]  [bigcry]

went to this shop and saw a vono mattress with storage bed going for 2k, incl GST and delivery and disposal of old mattress. is this a good price for this brand?

never hear before honestly.

Supercharged

i think mine is about 3.8k if I recall correctly.  worth the money especially since I have got back ache and other cheaper mattresses just make the ache more pronounced.

• Praise 1

(edited)

MEMORY FOAM

Seems this is a fashionable thingy of late over the last few years

I was told that this so called memory foam (its that kind of extra 1 inch thick or so layer right??)  - that it will become out of shape after some time ... or loose fatigue .. like sort of loose its firmness and become like into a " mould  like shape"

Mattresses as in like car tyres have to be rotated right ??? , as in flipping it in the opposite direction and "terbalek" .... so how does memory foam work in this case no more right when we reverse it upside down

I don't buy the most branded and usually buy from a shop in Eunos (which is well known) & I know the lady owner quite well and never go for the big ticket ones nor the lowest ones too, just those in the like 2k region is fine so far for me. 

Compare the Types

If you're shopping for a new mattress you could be overwhelmed by the variety of choice and prices ranging from too-low-to-believe to astronomical. But there's good news: Our years of testing have shown that, whatever type you choose, you don't have to spend over $1000 for a comfortable, supportive mattress. Here are the major types you'll see:
Memory Foam
Mostly polyurethane, memory foam is a favorite of people who take our survey and suffer from back and joint pain. A variation is latex foam, claimed to be hypoallergenic. Memory foam softens when you lie on it and soon molds to your body. Once you get up, it springs back to its original shape. Some owners feel it sleeps hot, however, and some mattresses take some effort to change position. Variations include models with infused gel to help keep it cool. Air it out before first use if you’re concerned about off-gassing.

Innerspring
These are traditional mattresses composed of steel coils in various configurations. They're often the least expensive—and the most widely sold. Variations can include special layers of cushioning, a pillowtop layer, and infused gel. “Hybrids” have one or more layers of foam on top of the springs. Shifting positions tends to be easy, but on some models your sleep partner might feel an annoying bounce when you do so.

Adjustable Air
You can inflate this type to your desired firmness using an electric pump attached to the bed. These typically include additional layers on top, such as foam. Most also let you inflate individual halves to different firmnesses to suit each sleep partner. But if you want to adjust the bed during the night, the noise of the pump can be annoying.

Four Mattress Myths

Common claims that haven’t held up in our tests:

Foam layers make a better bed. More innerspring mattresses now include foam on top. But the foam is often too thin to make a difference on some of the hybrid models. Hybrid innerspring models that scored well in our tests had a foam layer several inches thick, though performance still varied.

The more coils, the better. The better innerspring models we tested had 600 to 1,000 coils. But even if one mattress has more coils than another, the coils could be made of thinner-gauge metal. You’ll also hear about coil variations such as Bonnell (hourglass type), continuous wire, and individually pocketed springs. None of those is inherently superior.

Gel provides a cooler sleep. Some mattresses have a layer of gel-infused foam that’s supposed to provide a cooling effect. But that layer is buried beneath other layers. While our tests have shown that innerspring mattresses containing gel did tend to sleep slightly cooler, the reverse was true with gel-infused foam beds.

Extra lumbar support helps back sleepers. A special lumbar-support zone is one of many ways manufacturers try to differentiate their product lines. But there’s no guarantee that it makes any real difference, and it hasn’t shown significant benefits in our tests.

Shopping Tips

Lie down. If possible, lie on any mattress that you’re considering. Wear loose clothes and shoes you can slip off. Make yourself comfortable, and shoo away the salesperson if you’re feeling pressured. Salespeople should expect you to take your time. Spend at least five or ten minutes on each side and on your back (your stomach, too, if that's a preferred sleeping position). Panelists who took beds home for a month-long trial rarely changed the opinion they formed after the first night. Shopping online or at a warehouse club? Tryouts aren’t usually an option, so checking return policies before you buy is extra important.

Check return policies. Make sure the store offers a full refund or credit toward another mattress. Return periods, often called “comfort guarantees,” range from a couple of weeks to 120 days. Some retailers, including Macy’s and Sears, charge a 15-percent restocking fee. Costco and some online sellers provide free pickup if you want a refund or exchange, but otherwise, you’ll have to pay for it—or cart the mattress to the store. And you’ll be responsible for any damage.

Try to haggle. Once you’ve settled on a model, try to bring the price down. Many businesses, such as warehouse clubs, have fixed prices and won’t budge. But for retailers that do negotiate—particularly specialty chains—huge markups allow them to lower prices by 50 percent or more during their frequent sales. Our recommendation: Any time of year, insist on a sale price you’ve seen for the mattress you know you want, and don’t be afraid to walk out if you feel you’re getting a raw deal.

Don’t be bullied into buying a box spring. You might not need it. For an innerspring mattress, the box spring (also called a “foundation”) is a wood frame enclosing stiff wire and covered with fabric to match the mattress. For foam or adjustable-air mattresses, it’s a box several inches high. If you're switching to a foam or adjustable-air bed from an innerspring, you'll need a boxy foundation that lacks springs and wire. Otherwise, if your box spring isn't broken and is still structurally sound, consider keeping it and saving money (roughly $150 to $300 for a queen-size). One caveat: Some brands require you to buy their box spring to receive full warranty coverage.

Understand the warranty. It can range from 10 to 25 years and covers only manufacturing defects such as sagging and loose or broken coil wires. Coverage is frequently prorated, meaning that it decreases over time.

On delivery day. Never accept delivery without inspecting the mattress (and the box spring, if you buy one) for stains and other damage. Also be sure that the mattress has a label that states “all-new material” before you send the driver on his way. If it’s not there, refuse delivery. And keep it on afterward in case you do have to file a warranty claim in the future.

Edited by BanCoe
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2