Bulge on tyre sidewall, conflicting advise

Whiteice78

(edited)

Here is the pic of the bulge

attachicon.gifbulge.jpg

I went to my regular Kim Hoe & Co tyre shop (Not to be confused with the other KxxHxx, initially I too thought they were the same) today and they said tyre cannot be used. Will be switching them off real soon.  

The names are so similar...

Edited by Fireball0088
↡ Advertisement

Bro this shop is KxxHxx Tyre and Battery, apparently, they got 3 outlets I think.

Hold on while I try to upload a pic of the bulge...

I had bad experience with them too. Was attracted to their tyre price which was probably the cheapest in sg. 

Went to them to replace 4 new tyres. the next day went to my regular ws to service my brakes. My regular mech realised that one of the wheel nut thread had been damaged. apparently by improper use if air gun tightening. 

I went back to them immediately and they tried to remove the nut but was unable to do so. They referred me to another of their outlet but was treated with skepticism.

To their credit, there was this old uncle who immediately saw the problem and managed to unscrew the nut by hand wrench. Another of their worker tried to remove with air gun and was F-ed by the uncle saying that they youngsters like to take the easy way out and cause such problem. Told them to only use hand wrench. 

After removing the nut, the wheel stud screw thread was damaged and they replaced a new one for me.

Wasted 2hrs of my time. Also my new rims that were bought else where a few days ago was scratched by their tyre installation. 

Although they have rectified the issue, I cant imagine if I had not went to service my brakes and discovered the problem. if I had a flat tyre somewhere in msia, I would not have even been able to remove and put on my spare tyre. 

These people had ONE job, but still failed miserably at it.

No more going back to this shop. 

Recently, was toying with the idea of upsizing wheels to 18s. Saw an advert for some 17" used tyres with reasonable amount of meat left so decided to purchase from a tyre shop that lists heavily in this forum while I take my time to shop for used premium 18s.

Less than 300km of usage later, one of the tyres developed a bulge on the sidewall. The hump is no more than 3-5mm tall but after doing some research online, everything points to the tyre having being curbed and damaged. Most online advise was to switch out to prevent a blowout.

Went back to this tyre shop to seek assistance but was extremely surprised and puzzled that the boss and worker said it was not an issue and that the tyre is safe for continued use. I asked like 5 times but each time they reassured me it's not a problem. These guys run a tyre shop so they should be experts in this field, yet I keep reading otherwise online.

Anyone can clarify? Or have personal experiences?

TIA

You buy the defective Tyre from them. For sure they will say it's okay.

Shame on me for not being more vigilant. When I did a visual inspection of the tyres before fitting, all 4 looked like they were used as a set. Similar threadwear etc.

Just now, I went to note the DOM. Very nice numbers I have 1 from each year 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. You have to give it to them to be able to piece together a set from their inventory....   

Very interesting... will keep in mind that the original is "& Co"....

Yes, I actually go quite regularly to Kim Hoe & Co as they are a no frills but honest tyre shop with decent pricing. So when I first came across the advert from Kxx Hxx Tyre & Battery, I assumed they were the same company branching to another location... how wrong was I.. 

Hypersonic
(edited)

Kim Hoe & Co at Ubi right? That's your regular tyre shop.

The one that sold you the tyres are Kim Hoe Tyre at Kaki Bukit right?

Edited by Fcw75

Kim Hoe & Co at Ubi right? That's your regular tyre shop.

The one that sold you the tyres are Kim Hoe Tyre at Kaki Bukit right?

Correct. Kim Hoe & Co is my regular tyre shop. Not to be mistaken with the other. No links between the 2 at all

Correct. Kim Hoe & Co is my regular tyre shop. Not to be mistaken with the other. No links between the 2 at all

since kimhoe kaki bukit is your regular tire shop, I supposed they had given you the best advise.

this kh is popular carry many old tires as see some of the pictures published .

I am rather shock he paying rental to stock old tires for sales [confused]

heard some secondhand car dealers go there buy those cheap old tire to fit their used car and telling potential used car buyer the 4 tires they just changed.

I of my friend got a used car and tires replaced by tireshop (dealer claimed) and later found out 2 out of 4 old tires was a re cut tire (tire botak already the shop got those special cutter to recut the groove [thumbsdown] )

friend regular shop said it is dangerous to run on this re cut tire , so he quickly change all 4 new tire for safety reason.

just my personal POV

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

since kimhoe kaki bukit is your regular tire shop, I supposed they had given you the best advise.

this kh is popular carry many old tires as see some of the pictures published .

I am rather shock he paying rental to stock old tires for sales [confused]

heard some secondhand car dealers go there buy those cheap old tire to fit their used car and telling potential used car buyer the 4 tires they just changed.

I of my friend got a used car and tires replaced by tireshop (dealer claimed) and later found out 2 out of 4 old tires was a re cut tire (tire botak already the shop got those special cutter to recut the groove [thumbsdown] )

friend regular shop said it is dangerous to run on this re cut tire , so he quickly change all 4 new tire for safety reason.

just my personal POV

His regular tyre shop is Kim Hoe & Co at Ubi.
  • Praise 1

why would anyone in the right mind buy 2nd hand tyres....

some money cannot save one.

Bro,as mentioned, I wanted to upsize to 18 so did not want to buy 4 fresh 17s only to ditch them a month later. Wanted to buy some time to source for used premium 18s end up had to make a fast decision. Already switched the bulging tyre off since

Recently, was toying with the idea of upsizing wheels to 18s. Saw an advert for some 17" used tyres with reasonable amount of meat left so decided to purchase from a tyre shop that lists heavily in this forum while I take my time to shop for used premium 18s.

Less than 300km of usage later, one of the tyres developed a bulge on the sidewall. The hump is no more than 3-5mm tall but after doing some research online, everything points to the tyre having being curbed and damaged. Most online advise was to switch out to prevent a blowout.

Went back to this tyre shop to seek assistance but was extremely surprised and puzzled that the boss and worker said it was not an issue and that the tyre is safe for continued use. I asked like 5 times but each time they reassured me it's not a problem. These guys run a tyre shop so they should be experts in this field, yet I keep reading otherwise online.

Anyone can clarify? Or have personal experiences?

TIA

My advise is like what many here advise. To change a tyre 17 inches cost you about SGD$200. If shit happen accident due to tyre, someone you love or know dies because of this equal to PRICELESS!

You call the shot and decide

correct me if I am wrong

It Is more dangerous to place the Injured (bulge) tire to the rear than front

Because front is connector to your steering wheel so should your front got problems you can still control

Unlike the rear have any happen which most of wont be able to control .

From formula one always seem easier to control when rear tyre burst than front, but than again these are pro Drivers lah. I got no experience only observant

Shame on me for not being more vigilant. When I did a visual inspection of the tyres before fitting, all 4 looked like they were used as a set. Similar threadwear etc.

Just now, I went to note the DOM. Very nice numbers I have 1 from each year 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. You have to give it to them to be able to piece together a set from their inventory....   

Yes, I actually go quite regularly to Kim Hoe & Co as they are a no frills but honest tyre shop with decent pricing. So when I first came across the advert from Kxx Hxx Tyre & Battery, I assumed they were the same company branching to another location... how wrong was I.. 

Ive a similar lousy encounter with KxxHxx Tyre too..

Bought 4 pcs of used tyres from them at autobay and end up rubbing againts the "banana leave" on the inner side of my front whenever i do full lock.

Went to KXXHXX & Co at ubi for check as I was nearby and tot they were the same company which they declined.

They asked me who gave me these tyres and after I told them them I got them from another KXXHXX at autobay,

He ask me to go back and look for them to see if they can do something about it because those tyres which Im given are oversized. (the boss son did not bad mouth about them or try to upsell me their tyres at all)

Money spent lesson learnt.

End of day I went back to them for a super penny refund and drove all the way back to the boss son for a new set of Pirelli tyres

No frills and very simple pricing and transaction.

From formula one always seem easier to control when rear tyre burst than front, but than again these are pro Drivers lah. I got no experience only observant

you are correct ,this f1 driver is a Professional driver

any driver who can handle car well in the event of tire failure is Drift driver.

So as a Generally public we should always choose the tires Quality to help lower our risk.

Turbocharged

indeed bro! one can never put a price on life!

Glad you are rational and deciisive! [thumbsup][thumbsup]

There is, that's why they say life is cheap :D
↡ Advertisement