Bulge on tyre sidewall, conflicting advise

Whiteice78

Hi Guys,

Apologies for reviving the thread, just wanted to get your feedback regarding bulging/swollen tyres. I understand that usually bulges are mainly due to impact on the tyre sidewalls (e.g. striking pothole / kerb), or in some instances tyre compound defect. 

Wanted to ask of the presence of a tyre bulge due to impact may actually also indicate some damage to the rims as well?

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Hi Guys,

Apologies for reviving the thread, just wanted to get your feedback regarding bulging/swollen tyres. I understand that usually bulges are mainly due to impact on the tyre sidewalls (e.g. striking pothole / kerb), or in some instances tyre compound defect.

Wanted to ask of the presence of a tyre bulge due to impact may actually also indicate some damage to the rims as well?

Thanks!

Rims (assuming they are OEM or reputable ones, not replicas) are generally able to handle such curbing incidents.

Unlikely the structural integrity of the rims is compromised.

However, the rims may still be warped from potholes and such curbing, and you may feel your car is not balanced if this is the case.

• Praise 2

Hi Guys,

Thanks!

Just Google lo.

What does tire bulge mean?
A sidewall bubble is a bulge protruding from the sidewall of the tire. It is caused by air leaking from the inside of the tire into the carcass or body of the tire.

A tire has many reinforced layers. As mentioned above the inner layer must be compromised such that air is leaking to the outer layer of the tire. That's why you see the bubble or the bulge. If the bulge is hit again or is cut... it could cause a blowout.

Rims? What damage? Rims don't extend to the inside of the tire wall.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Please send for the check and access for further usage if your tire has a bulge after hitting the kerb.

It could blowout anytime depending on the internal damage and your usage of the car. I got a blowout while driving in the middle of the night without hitting anything. Waited for 2 hours for the tow truck to come. 

Please send for the check and access for further usage if your tire has a bulge after hitting the kerb.

It could blowout anytime depending on the internal damage and your usage of the car. I got a blowout while driving in the middle of the night without hitting anything. Waited for 2 hours for the tow truck to come.

Bro your blown out is at the rear or front?

Did the car sway or anything? Must be scary man.

Bro your blown out is at the rear or front?

Did the car sway or anything? Must be scary man.

Luckily it's the rear and I was travelling at slow speeds on the main road.

• Praise 1

thanks for Sharing your encounter.

only after this we learned .

Luckily it's the rear and I was travelling at slow speeds on the main road.

sorry to share my views

your are lucky is becuase you travel at slow speed , is not Blow out at the rear

if One travel at high speed ,, it is more scaring and dangerous to have blow out at Rear than front, because front you have steering to control. .

from the Lesson you share , should any one encountered impart of your tires  , best to get it check by Tire workshop , may be do a all 4 wheel balance.

Don't ever think now is ok after any impact which it could happen during your Journey especially at high speed .

your 4 tires are only contact btw you/passenger and Road.

I experienced a front left blowout many years ago!

I was travelling on lane 1 of PIE. I must have clocked about 100 kms that morning. 

I felt a sudden jerk and immediately I switched on the hazard lights, slowly limped to the road shoulder. 

↡ Advertisement