Stopping at Yellow Box

Revole

Twincharged

Every driver seems to have their own interpretation of the yellow box.

Agree that this yellow box rule is not as clear as some of us thought it is

Always thought that when traffic was in standstill, if u are turning from a smaller road to a larger road, u should have the right of way and that was what the yellow box was meant to be. 

Well this thinking was not so right, when we got involved in an accident

We were turning into a yellow box junction which was just before a traffic light. The traffic light was red, the cars in the main road came to a halt and these cars stopped just outside the yellow box. And so we turned into the yellow box. But what we did not anticipate was that one car at the extreme lane decided to move forward into the box and we were hit on our side. 

And what happened after that was as frustrating as trying to argue about the yellow box rule.

essentially, what we were told by all the relevant agencies/parties was that were in the wrong bec that car on the main road that hit us had the right of way.

We were arguing with everyone then if that is how the rule is to be interpreted, then a car on the main road even it purposely hit a turning car in the yellow box will always be in the clear and it will be impossible for a turning car to use the yellow box unless the roads are deserted.

To cut the long story short, from our experience, an accident in the yellow box will favour the car on the main road and the rule is not as clear cut as we think. So next time, if u are turning into the yellow box, do so only if it is very clear that the cars on the main road "kindly" allow you to do so.  

Yellow box is ill-defined and open to interpretation.

Originally, it was meant to prevent gridlock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_junction

So stopping in a box junction and impeding traffic flow in the other direction is illegal.

However, it has come to mean "giving way" for side traffic joining the main road for some people.

If you follow the original intention of preventing gridlock and not impeding flow, the same side road traffic going into the box junction is also wrong. They make a gridlock by preventing, the main road traffic from moving forward.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 13

Twincharged

Every driver seems to have their own interpretation of the yellow box.

Agree that this yellow box rule is not as clear as some of us thought it is

Always thought that when traffic was in standstill, if u are turning from a smaller road to a larger road, u should have the right of way and that was what the yellow box was meant to be. 

Well this thinking was not so right, when we got involved in an accident

We were turning into a yellow box junction which was just before a traffic light. The traffic light was red, the cars in the main road came to a halt and these cars stopped just outside the yellow box. And so we turned into the yellow box. But what we did not anticipate was that one car at the extreme lane decided to move forward into the box and we were hit on our side. 

And what happened after that was as frustrating as trying to argue about the yellow box rule.

essentially, what we were told by all the relevant agencies/parties was that were in the wrong bec that car on the main road that hit us had the right of way.

We were arguing with everyone then if that is how the rule is to be interpreted, then a car on the main road even it purposely hit a turning car in the yellow box will always be in the clear and it will be impossible for a turning car to use the yellow box unless the roads are deserted.

To cut the long story short, from our experience, an accident in the yellow box will favour the car on the main road and the rule is not as clear cut as we think. So next time, if u are turning into the yellow box, do so only if it is very clear that the cars on the main road "kindly" allow you to do so.  

Yes. Accident in the yellow box still favor car on the main road. Cuz minor road supposed to give way to major road. If the guy decide to move even if there is yellow box, then its the turning car's fault. Best is to ensure all cars are stopped before moving and don't go so fast. Slowly move out lane by lane, cuz some people anticipate light turning green will start to creep into the yellow box.

Best is to have in-car camera. With in-car camera, if your video show that all cars had stopped before you enter yellow box and the car decided to purposely hit you while you are in the yellow box, you will still be safe. No video then back to BOLA which is minor road give way to major road.

Yellow box is ill-defined and open to interpretation.

Originally, it was meant to prevent gridlock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_junction

So stopping in a box junction and impeding traffic flow in the other direction is illegal.

However, it has come to mean "giving way" for side traffic joining the main road for some people.

If you follow the original intention of preventing gridlock and not impeding flow, the same side road traffic going into the box junction is also wrong. They make a gridlock by preventing, the main road traffic from moving forward.

That one from UK? Cuz from what I know, our yellow boxes are also sometimes drawn to help cars exiting from minor road to major road. There is this carpark near my house that has heavy traffic outside every morning. Residents complaint then it is hard to exit the carpark when the road is jammed and they have to wait till someone is gracious enough to give way.

After all that feedback, they drew a yellow box on the main road just outside the exit of the carpark so that cars on the main road are "forced" to give way to cars exiting. I guess this means that the yellow box is meant to help cars move out from the small road?

• Praise 1

Supersonic

That one from UK? Cuz from what I know, our yellow boxes are also sometimes drawn to help cars exiting from minor road to major road. There is this carpark near my house that has heavy traffic outside every morning. Residents complaint then it is hard to exit the carpark when the road is jammed and they have to wait till someone is gracious enough to give way.

After all that feedback, they drew a yellow box on the main road just outside the exit of the carpark so that cars on the main road are "forced" to give way to cars exiting. I guess this means that the yellow box is meant to help cars move out from the small road?

That's what I meant by ill-defined.

If they want to allow side road traffic to come out, why not simply put a traffic light there, instead of a yellow box where the intention is not to allow traffic obstruction, whichever way you look at it ?

And talking about traffic light junction, where it is necessary, LTA would rather put a pedestrian crossing to favour pedestrian instead of traffic.

You know those junction where you have difficulty coming out, and you think a traffic light is necessary, but instead you need help from a pedestrian crossing when it turns red.

Twincharged

That's what I meant by ill-defined.

If they want to allow side road traffic to come out, why not simply put a traffic light there, instead of a yellow box where the intention is not to allow traffic obstruction, whichever way you look at it ?

And talking about traffic light junction, where it is necessary, LTA would rather put a pedestrian crossing to favour pedestrian instead of traffic.

You know those junction where you have difficulty coming out, and you think a traffic light is necessary, but instead you need help from a pedestrian crossing when it turns red.

I also not sure. But based on driving lessons, instructor also teach us that way. I was always being hurried by my instructor when cars stop before the yellow box. Always tell me to faster enter the box since the car has stopped already.

Neutral Newbie

The yellow box was initially designed to allow vehicles to turn INTO the side road; otherwise a queue of vehicles would prevent say an emergency vehicle from turning right and entering the side road.

It is also intended to allow vehicles to exit the side road if they are turning to the right and into a part of the roadway that is flowing freely (i.e., traffic freely flowing from the left to ride on the side opposite the side road)

Obviously vehicles from the side road may turn left at any time if there is no oncoming traffic from their right.

Otherwise, if a vehicle is on a side road then that vehicles gives way to traffic crossing or approaching from the right. Usually there is a give way or stop sign but even in the absence of such a sign that is the rule.

The yellow box is therefore NOT designed to make vehicles travelling in a straight line on the main road to have to give way to the side road traffic. If that were the case vehicles on the main road proceeding straight ahead would lose their right of way and could have to wait for some time depending on the volume of traffic.

The yellow box is therefore NOT designed to make vehicles travelling in a straight line on the main road to have to give way to the side road traffic. If that were the case vehicles on the main road proceeding straight ahead would lose their right of way and could have to wait for some time depending on the volume of traffic.

are you sure you know what you talking?

let me rephrase what you said and do correct me if i am quoted wrongly.

So in a junction where there is a yellow box and a slight traffic built up, car from side road cannot enter into the box and do a left turn, and car that is going straight need not stop outside the box to give way to car coming out from side road? 

are you sure you know what you talking?

let me rephrase what you said and do correct me if i am quoted wrongly.

So in a junction where there is a yellow box and a slight traffic built up, car from side road cannot enter into the box and do a left turn, and car that is going straight need not stop outside the box to give way to car coming out from side road? 

haha.. ya.. he is right.. 

and all those yellow boxes painted that proof him wrong... 

its becoz we have too much yellow paint.. 

ps.. was thinking of putting down a picture of yellow box painted for side road left turns... suddenly decided... too much effort... sch holidays.. dont wanna feed trolls

• Praise 1

What do you all think about drivers who cut into the yellow box just because they want change into that lane from the lane beside it? People in the lane stay outside the yellow box to let cars from the side road to change to main road and some people just cut into it just because that want to change lane....

What do you all think about drivers who cut into the yellow box just because they want change into that lane from the lane beside it? People in the lane stay outside the yellow box to let cars from the side road to change to main road and some people just cut into it just because that want to change lane....

If the car resorting to doing this is doing so as a last resort because he/she had just joined the main road from a exit/slip road, and he/she cannot filter out normally when traffic is moving, then give chance and give way.

If the car is taking advantage of this and doing it all the time to avoid queuing behind other cars, then he/she is a jerk.

I always stop at yellow box....and tell those outside.....if you want to smoke....smoke in the yellow box and not outside.....

:a-aggressive::a-t2622:

@Tianmo teach me to write like this one

:a-good:

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 2

If the car resorting to doing this is doing so as a last resort because he/she had just joined the main road from a exit/slip road, and he/she cannot filter out normally when traffic is moving, then give chance and give way.

If the car is taking advantage of this and doing it all the time to avoid queuing behind other cars, then he/she is a jerk.

1st case then I chin cai close 1 eye... But I always see the 2nd case, always curse and swear them...
  • Praise 1

I always stop at yellow box....and tell those outside.....if you want to smoke....smoke in the yellow box and not outside.....

:a-aggressive::a-t2622:

@Tianmo teach me to write like this one

:a-good:

I think ...........your school fee for the term ..........is due ..............end of the month.......... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 2

London very strict, no stopping at yellow box at all time even if u not obstructing any traffic. Got fine $100 over pound that time after getting caught by their cctv for stopping in the yellow box (though okay ma, Sg all also like that), now I know why London people all slow down before yellow box when car moving slowly so as not to stuck in the yellow box when the traffic light turn red.

Its really very simple.

Yellow box is for turning.

If you are stuck inside the yellow box

put your car at a turning angle or you

will be fined.

:D

London very strict, no stopping at yellow box at all time even if u not obstructing any traffic. Got fine $100 over pound that time after getting caught by their cctv for stopping in the yellow box (though okay ma, Sg all also like that), now I know why London people all slow down before yellow box when car moving slowly so as not to stuck in the yellow box when the traffic light turn red.

Its really worth paying the over 100 pounds.

At least now you know what not to do in SG.

Too bad all the other people in SG never got

fine in London.

:D

• Praise 1

The yellow box was initially designed to allow vehicles to turn INTO the side road; otherwise a queue of vehicles would prevent say an emergency vehicle from turning right and entering the side road.

It is also intended to allow vehicles to exit the side road if they are turning to the right and into a part of the roadway that is flowing freely (i.e., traffic freely flowing from the left to ride on the side opposite the side road)

Obviously vehicles from the side road may turn left at any time if there is no oncoming traffic from their right.

Otherwise, if a vehicle is on a side road then that vehicles gives way to traffic crossing or approaching from the right. Usually there is a give way or stop sign but even in the absence of such a sign that is the rule.

I totally agree. There should also be yellow boxes for vehicles entering the expressway so that they do not lose their right of way and could have to wait for some time depending on the volume of traffic.

Bringing up this old thread for discussion sake. Didn’t open another thread cos unsure if it is considered duplicate. I’m sorry if it sounds like ranting. Do we have fellow members here who lived in Punggol also felt the same? Or other towns having such problems as well. Share share and we discuss.

I lived in Punggol since 2011. Everyday i have to travel to the east to work on TPE. In the recent years, it has been such situation that the cross junction of Punggol Road and Punggol Field is having very bad jam every morning without fail. I’m talking about normal days, if it rains or accident on TPE, it will be worst.

2 situations I have observed. When lights are in their favour, drivers turning right from Punggol Field (Prive Condo side) kept turning during green arrow and stops in the yellow box even the traffic in front is not moving. When traffic light changes, those going straight are not able to move forward as the cars are all in the yellow boxes blocking the adjacent traffic. If I happened to be the first car, I did not move forward, the cars behind me will even honk or switch to centre lane and move forward into the yellow box. Be it i’m The first car or not, this goes on for 2-3 traffic lights. Each time maybe only 1 car managed to cross.

On the other hand, I also noticed some other cars going straight as me drove forward to stop in the yellow box as well. When traffic light turns red (it be green on the adjacent traffic), cars can’t move creates honking. Those turning right would also move forward and causes even more jams.

I wrote to LTA sometimes back, and their standard reply was to monitor traffic. And they changed the timing of the lights which didn’t help. Quite hard to collect statistics such as footage and pictures on a daily basis to support to LTA for them to do something, Thinking of writing in to ask them to monitor the situation. Furthermore, due to the increase new flats and more and more people staying in Punggol and Sengkang, they are also working on the 3rd expressway exit into TPE.

Haiz, if drivers respect the yellow boxes, driving would be a much better experience daily. Sometimes, when I on leave, I had a feeling to do up a board saying “Respect the yellow box!” and stand at that junction. Of cos this is only that urge, later kena catch by TP for obstructing traffic lol. I hope LTA could expand the camera solution here in Punggol, similar to that one they had implemented at Novena.

Your thoughts?

Cheers.

↡ Advertisement