Apple Vs Android Vs Samsung PAY services

RadX

Good Read and info. :grin: 

Apple Pay vs Samsung Pay Vs Android Pay

apple-pay-samsung-pay-main.jpg

Tapping your smartphone to pay for your shopping indulgence is no longer a fantasy.

With Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and last but not least Android Pay finally available, you'll no longer have to keep your phone while you dig for your credit cards to pay for groceries. Rather, it's simply a matter of putting your WhatsApp message on hold, activating your preferred mobile payment and card on the phone, scan your fingerprint and tap to pay.

The question is, which is your preferred mobile payment system? We have that answer for you, examining the three most basic requirements of a convenient payment system: banks, retailers, payment limit and compatible smartphones.

samsung-pay-faq-main.jpg

Supported banks

Apple started off early with securing American Express and launching earlier. Following which, it also managed to get major local banks such as DBS / POSB, OCBC, UOB, Standard Chartered on board too. The one missing element here is Citibank.

Samsung, on the other hand, has successfully wooed Citibank, building its inventory of supported banks to also include DBS / POSB, OCBC, and Standard Chartered. UOB users, we feel for you, because that's still not on the list yet.

Android Pay has quite a bit of catching up to do though. With both Citibank and American Express missing from its payment inventory, it limits your choices to credit or debit cards from DBS / POSB, UOB, OCBC and Standard Chartered.

Nonetheless, it's safe to say that both all parties are still actively courting the missing banks in their list, so it's really just a matter of time before your card is accepted on these mobile payment systems.

On the bright side, the inclusion of that many banks also mean that both Visa and Mastercard are widely accepted across Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Android Pay. So there's really no excuse that you can't pay because that particular store doesn't accept either of the major payment methods.

Winner: a draw between Apple Pay and Samsung Pay, with Android Pay trailing behind

samsung-pay-nfc-mst.jpg

Retailers

Well, this is quite straightforward. For all three payment systems, any merchants that accept Visa payWave or Mastercard PayPass would work. All you have to do is look out for an NFC terminal (see picture above) that has the payWave or PayPass logo.

Samsung, however, ups the ante since the payment system also integrates a magnetic secure transmission (MST) feature. Just as its name suggest, the MST feature transmits a secure magnetic signal, which is essentially emulating the action of swiping your credit card's magnetic strip in the machine.

See where we're going with this? That means most merchants with existing credit card terminals theoretically accept Samsung Pay. The bigger challenge, which applies to both MST and NFC payment, is getting retailers to realise that they can accept the new mobile payment system.

Winner: Samsung

apple_pay.png

Transaction limit

The thing about using credit cards is that you tend to spend more without realising it. That is, until you see your final bill.

Presumably, a transaction limit would curb that problem, which is exactly what payWave and PayPass are doing. The upper limit of S$100 would prevent any overspending even if you're fully aware of what you're getting into.

Except, if you're doing your weekly grocery run and it costs above S$100. You tap your phone on the system, only to be told that you're spending more than you should. Now, if you were to throw caution to the wind and spend like a boss, you would wish that the transaction limit isn't there.

Here's where Samsung Pay gives you that option. While the NFC payment system limits you at S$100, you can tap Samsung Pay on a credit card terminal, which doesn't have that spending restriction. In other words, you get the option to spend however you want, and not have a machine tell you off for spending way too much.

Winner: Samsung

android_smartphones_.png

Compatible smartphones

If there's one thing to say about Apple, it's that the company has a grand plan for Apple Pay. So grand, it's a few years in the making. And with it, the promise to include as many devices as it can in the compatibility list. As of now, Apple Pay is compatible with your iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus and the latest iPhone SE.

What about iPhone 5 and 5s users? As long as these devices are paired with an Apple Watch, they'll play nice with Apple Pay.

Samsung, on the other hand, couldn't keep up. While the latest Samsung Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge, plus last year's Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ are compatible with Samsung Pay, earlier models such as the Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge, which are left out of the party. One can only imagine the displeasure of the S6 folks.

Google, however, plays nice with almost everyone. Essentially, any NFC-capable Android phone running KitKat 4.4 onwards are applicable for Android Pay. That's right, even your aging Android smartphone could join in the mobile payment party.

Winner: Android

samsung-pay-winner.jpg

Verdict

Whether mobile payment systems such as Apple Pay, Android Pay or Samsung Pay will take off in Singapore is another question altogether.

What we do know, based on what either system can do, is the fact they represent a new, and some might even say convenient way, to make payments here. The bigger question is, which payment system should you adopt? On the scoreboard, Samsung has the slight advantage, given how you can pay at more terminals than both Android Pay and Apple Pay and not have a transaction limit.

But the real question that you should ask is - are you ready to give up the ecosystem you've invested in? If you are, then making the move from Apple or your run-of-the-mill Android smartphone to Samsung is probably right, though you'll have to make sure you get the most recent Samsung phone.

tl;dr - go with Samsung Pay if you want more payment options.

http://www.stuff.tv/sg/features/apple-pay-vs-samsung-pay

↡ Advertisement

Just received the free gift from samsung last week, for being the first 500 to use the samsung pay in dunno which week.

Using this will indeed help to reduce the size of the wallet, by carrying fewer cards. But just struck me: some merchants, esp. restaurants, have discount if you use some banks' cards. So if let's say my bank A card got discount, when i give the card, they process payment, will show the discounted price before i sign. But now if use samsung pay, will the discount be applied or not?

Also, instead of taking out the cc and put on the 'folder' containing the bill, do we now put the phone there??? Or now must follow the waitress go to counter even if they tell you no to??

This one must ask @radx...... he got a $800+ phone just as a wifi hotspot......maybe he just giap the phone into the billl folder to ask the waiter to charge.. :D

Just received the free gift from samsung last week, for being the first 500 to use the samsung pay in dunno which week.

Using this will indeed help to reduce the size of the wallet, by carrying fewer cards. But just struck me: some merchants, esp. restaurants, have discount if you use some banks' cards. So if let's say my bank A card got discount, when i give the card, they process payment, will show the discounted price before i sign. But now if use samsung pay, will the discount be applied or not?

Also, instead of taking out the cc and put on the 'folder' containing the bill, do we now put the phone there??? Or now must follow the waitress go to counter even if they tell you no to??

This one must ask @radx...... he got a $800+ phone just as a wifi hotspot......maybe he just giap the phone into the billl folder to ask the waiter to charge.. :D

I thot buttcrack?
  • Praise 1

(edited)

I have UOB, StanChart and HSBC... 1st two cards covered by ApplePay... both worked nicely with my watch from day one as well.

Damn nice to just wave my wrist and carry on. 

But if technically all the systems are equally as simple and secure... it's only good for all consumers. More retailers will start to accept.

Kudos to the tech guys who came up with it.

Edited by ins1dious

Turbocharged

suaku. No interest.

What's the difference between taking your phone out to tap vs taking a card out to paywave/paypass?

Worst still if u switch off NFC to reduce battery drain.

Like what some people say, Double side tape your card to your phone also can what [laugh]

It's safer than cc cos there are cc scanning devices out there with the ability to scan your card details by just standing near u... Unless your cc is kept in a shielded case.

Ya.. Drawback is not able to show off your atas Elite cards. Lol!

Just for sharing: -

Get $2 off when you pay with Visa on your mobile at FairPrice!

Redemption Period: 18 Jul 2016 – 31 Jul 2016

Eligible Cards: (Visa PayWave), Visa Classic, Visa Gold, Visa Platinum, Visa Signature, Visa Infinite

Redemption Channel: In-store

• Get $2 off when you pay with Visa on your mobile for purchases over $30 at any FairPrice store.
  • Plus, earn 200 LinkPoints when you pay with OCBC Plus! Visa card on your mobile.

Get $2 off drinks at Starbucks

Redemption Period: 18 Jul 2016 – 31 Jul 2016

Eligible Cards: (Visa PayWave, Debit, Credit) Visa Classic, Visa Gold, Visa Platinum, Visa Signature, Visa Infinite, Visa Electron, Visa Corporate, Visa Purchasing, Visa Business, Visa Platinum Business, Visa Signature Business, Visa Infinite Business

Redemption Channel: In-store

• Get $2 off handcrafted drinks when you pay with Visa on your mobile at any Starbucks outlet

Terms & Conditions: 

• Valid at all Starbucks stores in Singapore from 18 to 31 July 2016 or when promotional discount has been fully redeemed.
  • Only valid for purchases with Visa payWave or Visa on mobile.
  • Limited to 1 redemption per customer per transaction.
  • Applicable for all Starbucks handcrafted beverages only.
  • Not valid with other promotional offers or discounts.
  • Praise 5

Woohoo! Gear S2 can do Samsung Pay liao!

xsamsung-gears2-banner.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

Samsung has been promising that its Gear S2 would support Samsung Pay ever since it announced the smartwatch (and its variations) in 2015. Now, almost a year later, the company finally appears to be rolling out the NFC payment functionality. Droid-Lifespotted an update to the Samsung Gear app that takes Samsung Pay out of its closed beta into a public one. So if you own a Gear S2 — Bluetooth-only, not the 3G version — you can now try using Samsung Pay yourself.

To activate the beta, you have to update the watch’s software as well as the Samsung Gear app. Once that’s done you just tap the "Samsung Pay Beta" option in the updated Gear app to get started. You’ll apparently have to add cards one by one even if you already have Samsung Pay set up on your smartphone, which is a bit annoying, but at least the option is finally rolling out.

Woohoo! Gear S2 can do Samsung Pay liao!

xsamsung-gears2-banner.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

Samsung has been promising that its Gear S2 would support Samsung Pay ever since it announced the smartwatch (and its variations) in 2015. Now, almost a year later, the company finally appears to be rolling out the NFC payment functionality. Droid-Lifespotted an update to the Samsung Gear app that takes Samsung Pay out of its closed beta into a public one. So if you own a Gear S2 — Bluetooth-only, not the 3G version — you can now try using Samsung Pay yourself.

To activate the beta, you have to update the watch’s software as well as the Samsung Gear app. Once that’s done you just tap the "Samsung Pay Beta" option in the updated Gear app to get started. You’ll apparently have to add cards one by one even if you already have Samsung Pay set up on your smartphone, which is a bit annoying, but at least the option is finally rolling out.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/7/18/12213316/samsung-pay-gear-s2-smartwatch-bluetooth-nfc

now you can be as haolian as @ins1dious [laugh] [laugh]

No lah.... How to be haolian when I am busy wiping tables for living....@Radx see me before.. Can help me verify....  Sianz

post-24957-0-01730400-1468975597_thumb.jpg

now you can be as haolian as @ins1dious [laugh] [laugh]

:D

• Praise 2

No lah.... How to be haolian when I am busy wiping tables for living....@Radx see me before.. Can help me verify....  Sianz

attachicon.gif20160720_084319-picsay.jpg

:D

hahha....you noob lah, use watch...really smooth skin...no wonder @porker aim you haaaaaaa

to tell time, i see sun leh [scholar]  [scholar]  [laugh]

hmm for a while, i thought u really had a cigar. 

lol.....tio troll

Recommend you this.... just don't eat too much... good with kopi :D

NSN706%20Web.jpg

hmm for a while, i thought u really had a cigar.