Resigning and using leave to offset notice period

Doppel

If you feel that the situation is now untenable, then talk to the relevant parties (HR or the boss) to see what are the possible solutions to get you out as soon as possible. 

Yup, I agree with this option. Get a heads up with someone higher to allow clearing your leave, while serving your notice.

That way, you don't have to feel you're doing it FOC for the new company. You also have time to relax before the new job starts.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Thanks again for all the advice.

It seems that the majority favours serving out my notice.

I am a manager responsible for the business unit.

There will be no one to take over when I resign; my

manager and other managers don't know my business.

The company likely will take more than one month to find a suitable replacement, again I can't handover to someone even if I serve out the notice.

Most importantly, my manager has been ragging me for the past two years and I have been subject to much ridicule.

He once cursed under his breath while speaking with me (he is not local) because he was dissatisfied with my answer and business results.

He openly reprimands me in full view of the whole department (more than 20 people); every one knows he tekans me.

He emailed to me and copied the whole department and wrote "I don't know what are you doing, sitting at your desk for the whole day".

So, if I serve out the notice period, he will panic and probably try all kinds of tactics to rag me.

I don't really see the need to subject myself to this.

I am leaving in a position of strength and honestly, as one forumer said, the bridges had already been burned long time ago.

In Chinese, 凡事做得太尽,缘分必定早尽。

I think I have come to the end of the road.

• Praise 1

Just my 2 cents;

Always remember that your boss is not the company.

Burn bridge with a single a**h*le is nothing. Do not burn bridge with company.

You seem to have valid reasons for leaving and wanting to use leave to offset the notice period.

If I were you, I would arrange to speak to HR and even your boss's boss to clarify things and make sure that they understand the rationale of your actions. Arrangements can then be worked out with them.

Most companies of consequence today will have some form of employee dignity guidelines and will frown on bosses abusing subordinates.

• Praise 8

Turbocharged

The company likely will take more than one month to find a suitable replacement, again I can't handover to someone even if I serve out the notice.

Most importantly, my manager has been ragging me for the past two years and I have been subject to much ridicule.

He once cursed under his breath while speaking with me (he is not local) because he was dissatisfied with my answer and business results.

He openly reprimands me in full view of the whole department (more than 20 people); every one knows he tekans me.

He emailed to me and copied the whole department and wrote "I don't know what are you doing, sitting at your desk for the whole day".

So, if I serve out the notice period, he will panic and probably try all kinds of tactics to rag me.

I am leaving in a position of strength and honestly, as one forumer said, the bridges had already been burned long time ago.

In Chinese, å¡äºåå¾å¤ªå°½ï¼ç¼åå¿å®æ©å°½ã

Bro.. You are too hard on yourself.. "End of road".. More like taking another step in the right direction..

As for being unique.. Nobody know your business.. Well your staff knows.. Your number 2 knows.. Maybe not your boss who has been ragging you.. Maybe it's your number 2 who has been ratting on you. Coz only when u r gone he got chance for promotion.

Think about it..

Turbocharged

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Under MOM's rules, I can use my leave to offset the notice period:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/termination-of-employment/termination-with-notice

I understand the rationale of keeping the relationship, not burning any bridges etc..

Without giving too many details, let's just say I won't go back to work for my current company again after I leave and there is no way my current manager may become my boss again in another company.

I have worked for this company for many years and in the past two years under this new manager hasn't been the best of times.

And I could imagine he would probably not be very cordial during my notice period and this would further aggravate the already tense relationship.

I don't wish to subject myself to further abuse and humiliation, hence the plan.

Never say never.. I had a very lousy manager before, newly join and tekan me like mad when I was a snr engineer.. Mind you I work in that company for like 10yrs already and have good repo with others..

less than 1yr under him, I tendered my resignation... All directors tried to convince me to stay but I insisted to leave and I didn't said the actual reason... To cut story short, after 3 mths only, my ex director called me, said that manager no longer there and he wanted me back to take over that position....

• Praise 13

why need 30 days of leave to serve one month notice?

i only work at most 22 days a month if no PH.

• Praise 1

Employment Act under MOM is for rank & file staff although most co still follow the basic guideline. For manager, it's depend on your Employment Contract & co handbook...so better check.

Handle professionally & leave in good terms, it will reflect well in your personality in your resume. Nobody is indispensable...co will not close down because u leave. But everyone in the co & same industries people will remember u (good or bad depend on what u want people to remember u).

• Praise 3

Supercharged

If you have been around for a while and has painstakingly build up the business, I'm sure you don't want the whole thing to collapse after you leave. It is best to negotiate a shorter notice period and hand over properly to somebody you trust within you team. Don't let what you have put in all these years evaporate once you leave.

Unless of course if your direct reporting boss is in the opinion that you can leave immediately then by all means go ahead and use your entitled leave to offet the notice period.

In summary MOM guidelines states that you have the rights. But it still very much depends on operational needs. If both your direct boss and HR give you the go ahead then good for you. Otherwise your best option would be to negotiate a shorter notice period. Whether your boss is interested to do a proper receiving of your existing duties is entirely up to him. But you have to be professional and do your part no matter how disgruntled you may be.

i suggest u man to man talk to your immediate boss and tell him due to some family circumstances that you like to offset your annual leave in lieu of serving notice,

No need to get emotional or even with him- get what you want from him to agree to your offsetting.

Keep it professional as u dont want to upset him. He may know someone or something that you may not be aware. He may be forcing you to resign in certain way- just pretend that you resign on family ground not his action. leave in good light- you never know u may come back again to this company when he is not longer around.

offsetting leave in lieu of serving notice is subjected to company discretion.

Neutral Newbie

talk to HR ... probably can offset most of the leaves

just give it a couple of days to clean up and make a clean exit

In Chinese, å¡äºåå¾å¤ªå°½ï¼ç¼åå¿å®æ©å°½ã

Seemed like he is managing you out, thus the type of treatment.

Have seen this type of managing style.

Sometimes is used to not payout redundancy package.

As an earlier advice, remember you are still legally employed by your current company when you are on leave + serving notice, so you're not supposedly to join a new company.

Or not openly at least.

• Praise 3

Never say never.. I had a very lousy manager before, newly join and tekan me like mad when I was a snr engineer.. Mind you I work in that company for like 10yrs already and have good repo with others..

less than 1yr under him, I tendered my resignation... All directors tried to convince me to stay but I insisted to leave and I didn't said the actual reason... To cut story short, after 3 mths only, my ex director called me, said that manager no longer there and he wanted me back to take over that position....

Turbocharged

why need 30 days of leave to serve one month notice?

i only work at most 22 days a month if no PH.

Offsetting leave against notice period (30 days), not working days (22 days).

Offsetting leave against notice period (30 days), not working days (22 days).

1 mth notice = 22 work days

30 days leave = 30 work days

U need to think deep deep what if u meet the same character again in future, what u gonna do?

(edited)

such managers whom abuse authority 。 you should 为民除害

stomp,hardwarezone har  :huh:

Edited by Gitanic
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

I used to work in a company with a lousy HR.

Not all HR are professional and could resolve the employees' predicament..

Edited by Albeniz
  • Praise 3

(edited)

Important thing is to tender first in black and white. (Someone posted a neutral professional template for resignation letter in this forum)

Next few days, just see shows...

Sometimes, they may not even want you to stay for the remaining period. So, will compensate you pay in lieu + leave pay. So, huat to the max.

Let me know what's the job, I may want to join 'cos jobless.

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3