Resigning and using leave to offset notice period

Doppel

I used to work in a company with a lousy HR.

Not all HR are professional and could resolve the employees' predicament..

At least you have HR dept.

My SG office no local HR support. They know nuts of our HR regulations.

Pay my full salary without claiming from Mindef during reservice.

Also same for paternity leave.

Think my pay too low for my HQ HR to be bothered.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

1 mth notice = 22 work days

30 days leave = 30 work days

U need to think deep deep what if u meet the same character again in future, what u gonna do?

Nothing, I probably might not ever see him again.

Thanks again for all the advice.

It seems that the majority favours serving out my notice.

I am a manager responsible for the business unit.

There will be no one to take over when I resign; my

manager and other managers don't know my business.

The company likely will take more than one month to find a suitable replacement, again I can't handover to someone even if I serve out the notice.

Most importantly, my manager has been ragging me for the past two years and I have been subject to much ridicule.

He once cursed under his breath while speaking with me (he is not local) because he was dissatisfied with my answer and business results.

He openly reprimands me in full view of the whole department (more than 20 people); every one knows he tekans me.

He emailed to me and copied the whole department and wrote "I don't know what are you doing, sitting at your desk for the whole day".

So, if I serve out the notice period, he will panic and probably try all kinds of tactics to rag me.

I don't really see the need to subject myself to this.

I am leaving in a position of strength and honestly, as one forumer said, the bridges had already been burned long time ago.

In Chinese, å¡äºåå¾å¤ªå°½ï¼ç¼åå¿å®æ©å°½ã

I think I have come to the end of the road.

if i were you and the new company can wait, i would serve the notice and sit there do nothing. you can annoy him everyday just for fun. why let them save money while you leave early at your own cost.
  • Praise 3

Hypersonic

surprising all the towkays and high flyers here have not said that it is subordinate performance issues instead of manager issues

• Praise 4

(edited)

bro,

I dunno what business unit or how big its valuiation is . . .

looks like you are not very hands-on in corporate politics yet

I am speaking with experiences, of both the taker's and taken's end.....

since you had mentioned its no way he or they will be with you in the near future (even if it is, so what!?..... you MUST have your ''something'' to stand in your new post, right?)...... then dun give a damn about the bridges.... you dun sabo or burn them, but make sure the company understand that its their biz decision to have let you down, all bcoz of the Line Manager they have chosen!  in fact, you have contributed for years until this manager popped out 2 yrs ago .... 

this is the record, Period!

I used to think like most here......  until I got myself sucked in the corporate world where you can drink with the bosses, get f%^k or also do the same tomorrow when you need to survive, professionally with integrity and dignity!  remember, he/she, though above you in rank, is NOT the boss of the company.....

if you are very confident about not closing the relationship and there's no way back - then you are NOT professional enuff

its business, not personal . . . its NOT about keeping the bridges unburnt etc..... this is old skool

its about how you manage your emotions and professionlism at your best righteous to yourself and the company..... like whistleblowers, escalations to top bosses on violations and integrity issues on your bossess etc. nothing personal!

just pen down your plan and formalize your notice period accordingly to your best knowledge to the company, in good will

e.g. give only 2 weeks, while on-leave with another 2, and start work immediately 4 weeks later

march into your current boss and give him a piece of your mind to him, man2man with the door closed (feel free the 'F' words if you had wanted to use it)....

then no matter what, conclude your temper, professionalism, character with dignity, and integrity by telling him its business (nothing personal) and shake hand to align him with your transition schedule...... i.e. force all into his mouth professionally... you dun have to give-in, he should..... but of coz, give & take a little' bit

send out email to all concerns on the agreed transition schedule and name the takeover reps..... with good contents

explain to HR this is the best discussion you had with your manager, for this instance (they must be in the loop..... hmmm )

and if really needed, copy to his boss or even the corporate bosses in a very subtle and professional emai with compliments and good words !!!!

You see, if he/she rebukes then it proves his/her character and supervisory skills to the HR and his bosses too !!!!

they can drag & drag, else 2 weeks means 2 weeks, nothing more - you are the best judge to be ok or not...

the point is, you serve your 1 month notice before joining the next regardless of taking leaves or not

one can be terminated within hours! regardless of a manager or a CEO level.......

compensation wise . . .  you are entitled for your leave and its the law......

Look!........... its never worth for the company or HR to get you legally for that matter of just 1-2 weeks thingy...

integrity..... dun you ever bad-mouth the company or manager after you had  your chance, do it right on his face and that's it......the world will know later!

dignity - you have given your piece of mind to him when you walk out with your heads up, almighty with pride & ego!!!..... and that the world will or see it too.

most importantly, you will need to build your credibility in the new company!

enjoy your farewell meals with you ex-colleagues..... show them you are choosing a better and brighter path, i.e. Pulled and not Pushed etc.

May your best endeavours in your new phase of professionalism.

Cheers

Edited by A_korusawa
  • Praise 5

surprising all the towkays and high flyers here have not said that it is subordinate performance issues instead of manager issues

• Praise 6

Turbocharged

ð

Yes, my business unit's performance has been horrendous for the past few months.

But have worked here for many years, the business is cyclical in nature: in good times, I have made twice the budgeted target, and in bad times like now, I am looking like probably 20% of target for the entire year.

I understand that we all have to achieve business targets, but what I don't agree is the open humiliation and ragging of the staff.

So basically, I don't want to work for this manager anymore.

I think my company is a good one, otherwise I wouldn't have worked here for so many years.

Just that I can't get along with this manager and I have to go.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Yes, my business unit's performance has been horrendous for the past few months.

But have worked here for many years, the business is cyclical in nature: in good times, I have made twice the budgeted target, and in bad times like now, I am looking like probably 20% of target for the entire year.

I understand that we all have to achieve business targets, but what I don't agree is the open humiliation and ragging of the staff.

So basically, I don't want to work for this manager anymore.

I think my company is a good one, otherwise I wouldn't have worked here for so many years.

Just that I can't get along with this manager and I have to go.

surprised that being in a cyclical business for so many years, you still do not know how to handle the down cycle and prove your performane during this period.

identify and close any gaps in your business that could improve profitability and reduce the impact of the down cycle.

benchmark and show to your management your business is performing better than your competitors

better than letting your supervisor ask you what are you doing whole day in the office

• Praise 1

Thanks again for all the advice.

It seems that the majority favours serving out my notice.

I am a manager responsible for the business unit.

There will be no one to take over when I resign; my

manager and other managers don't know my business.

The company likely will take more than one month to find a suitable replacement, again I can't handover to someone even if I serve out the notice.

Most importantly, my manager has been ragging me for the past two years and I have been subject to much ridicule.

He once cursed under his breath while speaking with me (he is not local) because he was dissatisfied with my answer and business results.

He openly reprimands me in full view of the whole department (more than 20 people); every one knows he tekans me.

He emailed to me and copied the whole department and wrote "I don't know what are you doing, sitting at your desk for the whole day".

So, if I serve out the notice period, he will panic and probably try all kinds of tactics to rag me.

I don't really see the need to subject myself to this.

I am leaving in a position of strength and honestly, as one forumer said, the bridges had already been burned long time ago.

In Chinese, 凡事做得太尽,缘分必定早尽。

I think I have come to the end of the road.

I think just tahan the one month la. Very fast over one.

See the bigger picture. It does affect your future employment a bit too.

• Praise 1

before you leave you can try put a bit of something into cup of coffee and let the manager drink.

years later you are going to feel glad still  :mellow:

Hypersonic

spoken like a person with 700k spare cash lying aroundðððð

Mai suan me towkay. I kah kia got good or bad manager also must grit my teeth and endure.

waiting for you to show me the way to 50k per month

• Praise 1

Doppel, I sense that you may've come to your wit's end.

Just go as soon as you can (amicably if possible) and you never know if the HR is pally with your superior. No need to prolong the agony, and spare yourself the misery and ansgst which you don't need as it's not the end of the world, just a phase in your career life.

Better yet if they pay you off and you can have a nice holiday to contemplate your next move, if you've not already. We wish you all the best!

• Praise 3

Supercharged

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Under MOM's rules, I can use my leave to offset the notice period:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/termination-of-employment/termination-with-notice

I understand the rationale of keeping the relationship, not burning any bridges etc..

Without giving too many details, let's just say I won't go back to work for my current company again after I leave and there is no way my current manager may become my boss again in another company.

I have worked for this company for many years and in the past two years under this new manager hasn't been the best of times.

And I could imagine he would probably not be very cordial during my notice period and this would further aggravate the already tense relationship.

I don't wish to subject myself to further abuse and humiliation, hence the plan.

The world is still v small, even if u know yr boss won't be yr boss again.

Take my personal experience. I wanted to hire. So advertisement went out. I got shortlisted ones from HR. 5 of them.

Out of 5, i know 4 of them, not coz I know them personally, but I know all their old bosses!!!!

So guess what did? I contacted the old bosses and ask them abt the candidates. Even before interview started, I already knew all abt the candidates.

World is small, any kind of connection can happen.

Since u say u work in this company for many years, u already established yr own reputation in the industry. People know u......

• Praise 1

(edited)

Best to check with your hr on the company policy and if that allows you to use annual leave to offset notice period

Some company allow while some doesnt which means they rather encash the outstanding annual leaves

Given your situation, dont be surprised that your boss may not even want you to serve out the notice (some bosses are afraid of sabotages, not saying u but just quoting cases which i have seen)

Dun think too much, tender your resignation professionally and put a request in your letter that you would like to use your leave balance to offset the notice, this way the company has to tell you if its a yes or not, the HR department will then also be involved hopefully as a neutral party n give u a reply on this

Best case but unlikely scenario, a full waiver of notice period

Possible case but depending on your manager and HR policy, using AL to offset notice period

Most probable case, serve ur full notice per employment contract

The best politician will not burn bridges even if he hates his boss to the core

On a positive note, I actually think its ok to be tekan by my boss rather than by his secretary or blue eyed boy which is much worst

In the working world, its all about managing relationships, more even so if you are going to hold a senior management position in your next job

All the best

Edited by Pinobii
  • Praise 6

Supersonic

Best to check with your hr on the company policy and if that allows you to use annual leave to offset notice period

Some company allow while some doesnt which means they rather encash the outstanding annual leaves

Given your situation, dont be surprised that your boss may not even want you to serve out the notice (some bosses are afraid of sabotages, not saying u but just quoting cases which i have seen)

Dun think too much, tender your resignation professionally and put a request in your letter that you would like to use your leave balance to offset the notice, this way the company has to tell you if its a yes or not, the HR department will then also be involved hopefully as a neutral party n give u a reply on this

Best case but unlikely scenario, a full waiver of notice period

Possible case but depending on your manager and HR policy, using AL to offset notice period

Most probable case, serve ur full notice per employment contract

The best politician will not burn bridges even if he hates his boss to the core

On a positive note, I actually think its ok to be tekan by my boss rather than by his secretary or blue eyed boy

I have been thru that and i noe how it sad it feels but such experiences certainly helped in my next job

In the working world, its all about managing relationships, more even so if you are going to hold a senior management position in your next job

I think there are 2 different kinds of things you can do with your lve balance during the notice period:

Assumptions: 1 month notice, 1 month leave balance

1. Take leave during notice. Officially this means that you can't start with the new place until your 1 month notice is up. You will be paid till your last day which after the 1 month notice even though you are physically not at work

2. Offset notice period with leave. In effect, you pay money the employer for not serving notice and then the employer pays you for your outstanding leave balance. In such a scenario, your last day with the company is today and your salary will only be paid until today. You can start working with your new company immediately assuming there isn't any non-compete clause in your contract.

I believe TS is referring to option #2.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Why talk about MOM and employment act etc.? TS say he is manager level, so i don't think MOM rules protect professionals.

Well, TS, from the way your boss treat you, it seems he has no worry about your position being empty. Strange because wouldn't he have to bear the problems due to your post being empty ( and issues unsolved)?

I will definitely want to keep my subordinates happy and working for me because i am answerable to higher ups for problems that may arise if not enough manpower.

Edited by Sosaria

Mai suan me towkay. I kah kia got good or bad manager also must grit my teeth and endure.

waiting for you to show me the way to 50k per month

• Praise 13

I think there are 2 different kinds of things you can do with your lve balance during the notice period:

Assumptions: 1 month notice, 1 month leave balance

1. Take leave during notice. Officially this means that you can't start with the new place until your 1 month notice is up. You will be paid till your last day which after the 1 month notice even though you are physically not at work

2. Offset notice period with leave. In effect, you pay money the employer for not serving notice and then the employer pays you for your outstanding leave balance. In such a scenario, your last day with the company is today and your salary will only be paid until today. You can start working with your new company immediately assuming there isn't any non-compete clause in your contract.

I believe TS is referring to option #2.

Thats more of buying out notice period which is paying salary in lieu of notice

Its different from offset notice period with leave

↡ Advertisement