Honda Vezel or Kia K3

Brianlee

That's the characteristics of SUVs in general, not just the Vezel.

The crosswinds, especially on the North South Highway can flip a SUVs, due to its high CG.

SUVs are meant for offroad use, which are non existent in Singapore. More of  a fad. They are never safe for highway driving.

Wow, what a load of ......... the last sweeping statement makes car designers and engineers looked like they don't know what they are doing with millions of dollars in R&D for SUV vehicles and safety technologies.

Rollover risk (on any thing) increases with CG, yes generally true, that's primary school physics. 

But on modern vehicles or in any actual real life situations, rollover risk has many factors, such as aerodynamics, centre of mass (more important than CG in the case of automobile), structural design of the cage, strengh of materials, and any other active safety features designed into the vehicles, to exactly prevent issues like rollover, flipping or counter the effect of so-called CG.

That's what vehicle tests on wind tunnels, labs, test tracks are for. I would say rollover risks (e.g. flipping on crosswinds) would be higher on poorly designed or manufactured cars, has less to do with SUVs or not. A good SUV (like Vezel) will be much safer for highway driving than any budget cars like vios, attrage etc, that's for sure. Kia K3 is a well-designed,mainstream and safe car too.

Lastly, SUVs are meant for offroad use? That's funny. The SUV segment was created to cater to consumers who wants such vehicles (due to better practicality, and style) but will never go off-road. SUVs are designed to drive like a car most of the time, at least that's what the designers strive for.

For off-road, ever heard of 4x4 or trucks?

↡ Advertisement

I'm sure with your knowledge, you know there are actually quite a few SUVs that can go off road and excel in it. [laugh]

Lastly, SUVs are meant for offroad use? That's funny. The SUV segment was created to cater to consumers who wants such vehicles (due to better practicality, and style) but will never go off-road. SUVs are designed to drive like a car most of the time, at least that's what the designers strive for.

For off-road, ever heard of 4x4 or trucks?

Yes of course. Most of these vehicles were already in the market before the term SUV was even coined. These vehicles were called 4x4 before that and loosely lumped into the SUV category when it came about, partially because it can cater to a larger market of SUV buyers. Examples Landcruiser, most Land Rovers, jeeps.

Grew up on Land Cruiser and it was called 4x4 15 years ago, there is a Japanese magazine 4x4 focusing on these vehicles since long time ago.

I'm reading a lot of misconceptions here.

1. Yes it's true that the K3 (except the SX Sports) has only 2 airbags. However, the Elantra has 6 airbags across its range except for the most kosong model (forgot which trim level but it's the cheapest model, with only 2 airbags).

2. Looking at survivability in a crash comparing K3 to Vezel, I dare to say the K3 will fare much better than Vezel or even other cheap Japanese sedans (never mind where they are made in).

Why? Because the cheaper japanese sedans do not have front and rear impact bars behind their bumpers. A few that I have seen include, but not limited to, Latio, Attrage, Jazz/Fit, Vezel, Civic FD. What's behind their rear bumpers? Kosong, nothing. Just the spare wheel well and that's it.

At least the Koreans have the front and rear impact bars to minimize deformation of the car body in the event of a collision.

Don't believe me? Go take a look at a few accident repair workshops and see for yourself.

3. Lastly, if you drive like a prick, give you 100 airbag car also no use la. Still up lorry.

I was driving honda city 2006 model and my car was rear ended by taxi at the speed of 70km and the impact was so high that my car bumped on the highway railings and KAH motor suggested to scrap it bcoz the car was beyond repair due to the impact. But I walked scratch free from the car, the rear is properly reinforced. At least, I can confidently say the back is properly covered :)

I'm reading a lot of misconceptions here.

1. Yes it's true that the K3 (except the SX Sports) has only 2 airbags. However, the Elantra has 6 airbags across its range except for the most kosong model (forgot which trim level but it's the cheapest model, with only 2 airbags).

2. Looking at survivability in a crash comparing K3 to Vezel, I dare to say the K3 will fare much better than Vezel or even other cheap Japanese sedans (never mind where they are made in).

Why? Because the cheaper japanese sedans do not have front and rear impact bars behind their bumpers. A few that I have seen include, but not limited to, Latio, Attrage, Jazz/Fit, Vezel, Civic FD. What's behind their rear bumpers? Kosong, nothing. Just the spare wheel well and that's it.

At least the Koreans have the front and rear impact bars to minimize deformation of the car body in the event of a collision.

Don't believe me? Go take a look at a few accident repair workshops and see for yourself.

3. Lastly, if you drive like a prick, give you 100 airbag car also no use la. Still up lorry.

eh sala lah... all 3 trims of elantra has 6 airbags AND traction control... unlike k3

Yup my bad.

In that sense, elantra basic model is more value buy compared to K3 L.

eh sala lah... all 3 trims of elantra has 6 airbags AND traction control... unlike k3

1. Any passengers in back seat when the collision happened?

2. How badly crumpled was the rear?

3. Any photos to show the damage?

I was driving honda city 2006 model and my car was rear ended by taxi at the speed of 70km and the impact was so high that my car bumped on the highway railings and KAH motor suggested to scrap it bcoz the car was beyond repair due to the impact. But I walked scratch free from the car, the rear is properly reinforced. At least, I can confidently say the back is properly covered :)

Yup my bad.

In that sense, elantra basic model is more value buy compared to K3 L.

1. Any passengers in back seat when the collision happened?

2. How badly crumpled was the rear?

3. Any photos to show the damage?

Here you go... the frame actually took the whole crash and struck at the rear tire. 

No rear passenger but, no impact to the back seat, bcoz, i had my company laptop and still intact.

post-67625-0-95552200-1503990604_thumb.jpg

post-67625-0-29064400-1503990618_thumb.jpg

Here you go... the frame actually took the whole crash and struck at the rear tire.

No rear passenger but, no impact to the back seat, bcoz, i had my company laptop and still intact.

i cant imagine if its a honda freed instead of ur car...... thats the reason why i rather not buy those mini mpv

Omg, the crash looks bad. The whole car boot was gone! Luckily you are ok.

Imagine those smaller MPVs without much of a boot to speak about?

Rear passengers han-cho / mati / ee-lack / may-yo / gone-ners!!

Imagine those smaller MPVs without much of a boot to speak about?

Rear passengers han-cho / mati / ee-lack / may-yo / gone-ners!!

Taxi front was gone, but more damage to passengers, all had bruises and bleeding.

From the picture, the taxi bonnet doesnt seems like serious le? Anyway, taxi travelling at 70km/h can resulted such a great impact?

For many Singaporeans. car ownership is akin to an achievement badge - a gold star you get on your report card that you can show off. Hence, naturally the marque, design, reliability and features of the car all matter as it is something that we Singaporean car owners feel we need to show off about.

I remember when I got my first Korean ride and having this conversation with my elders.

"Ee-yer, why you go and buy Hyundai? Toyota or Honda better la. More reliable and easier to maintain. Cannot afford ah?"

We grew up being exposed to prejudiced mindsets in a world that has been evolving faster in the past 20 years than it had for the previous 40. But the price of cars in Singapore make it challenging for us to ignore the prejudices as well. For 150K, you can choose between a European-made versus a Thai/Japan/Korean-made vehicle. And then there is the OMV/ARF factor that fuels the premium of certain marques.

End of the day, just go for the car that you feel is right for you, that you will enjoy and one that you will not feel "ashamed" of. You've earned it and paid for it - so why not make the most out of it?

Wah that's bad.

Lucky that's a sedan and you're ok. Can't imagine if it was a hatchback.

No rear passenger but, no impact to the back seat, bcoz, i had my company laptop and still intact.

Hope nothing serious to those on board.

No rear passenger but, no impact to the back seat, bcoz, i had my company laptop and still intact.

if its cherry QQ, the driver would have become a cherry

#justsaying :D

I think gone case liao. But I have seen worst and yet was written off by insurance and resurrected by another workshop to resold to the unsupecting buyer for a tidy profit of 30K.

↡ Advertisement