Why conti car cannot tahan SG weather but sushi/kimchi can?

flashbang

Same things on Lexus is200 and is250 la.

You said it man! I had an IS200 early last decade ... after 2 years (from brand new), the passenger airbag cover on the dashboard became sticky (liam liam) to the touch!

Yes, LEXUS

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

was checking out b class few yrs back. the steering buttons were so sticky n the tonneau cover gave off a resin stench like my "conti" maclaren pram rubber handle. another fren bmw coupe oso havin same issue at rear sear console.

really dunno y we pay so much nowadays just to give us more headache..

Something to do with the material characteristics of the soft rubber.

My Samsonite attache bag came with a soft rubber handle, look and feel classy, not sticky when used daily. However, when not used for very long time, there is a layer of sticky oily substance on the handle. And this layer will resurface even though we tried to clean with detergent or lemon pledge.

• Praise 1

Come to think of it, I often hear people say conti car not suitable for SG climate. That's why got engine problem, breakdown,etc. And they will say better to get sushi/kimchi car instead....

But Japan has 4 seasons, and so does Korea.... just like those conti cars from Europe.....

So there is no basis at all to this claim?  :secret-laugh:

Or must buy those Made-In-Thailand Toyotas then can tahan SG climate?

Those people likely to also say conti fuel economy very bad, parts expensive and difficult to find. Well, their choice of cars are always the best.

• Praise 1

I have always thought that the european or american never take into due consideration to Asian market condition.  Hot humid weather.

But hor, about looking at all the post, seems like to so true.

But hor, conti car tends to catch fire, in many case - BMW lor

Is it because compare with Kimchi and Sushi cars, conti car are MORE HEAVY, so HIGHER Engine Load and so high chance it catch fire ?

• Praise 1

Same things on Lexus is200 and is250 la.

ok ok, i didnt go c lexus n infinity.. movin on, i think i'll jus get a less sophisticated ride.. nothin beats fuss free motoring imho..

I have always thought that the european or american never take into due consideration to Asian market condition.  Hot humid weather.

But hor, about looking at all the post, seems like to so true.

But hor, conti car tends to catch fire, in many case - BMW lor

Is it because compare with Kimchi and Sushi cars, conti car are MORE HEAVY, so HIGHER Engine Load and so high chance it catch fire ?

would like to think its more electronics, hence more circuitry n higher likelihood of short or e fault. but if owner have car cam, ice, stage 1/2/3 remap, piggyback any car can oso catch fire potentially..

Something to do with the material characteristics of the soft rubber.

My Samsonite attache bag came with a soft rubber handle, look and feel classy, not sticky when used daily. However, when not used for very long time, there is a layer of sticky oily substance on the handle. And this layer will resurface even though we tried to clean with detergent or lemon pledge.

now u ve said it, i recalled my oakley glasses rubber oso became oily after 1yr+ changed to 2nd set oso sticky n oily for a while..

All of you are pseudo car makers. Build you own car la. Made in Singapore for Singapore. Best!

govt must support la.. if they dont support olympic trg, this dont need think..

I am glad you mentioned about this, we have actually manufacturing facilities for cars in SG.  Yes.

http://www.nationsonline.org/album/Chinese_New_Year/slides/China_Town_Bangkok_h049.html

lol, bad joke bro, u made me click on link leh..

IMHO, our weather of hot and humid plays a part.

Another thingy is maintenance cost. In europe and US, its freakin common for ppl to service their own cars. Go dealership buy spare parts like engine oil, sump plugs and seals then go home n service urself. Its also much cheaper. Singapore the agent sell parts and labour is like wtf price then space constraint also. Not many ppl in spore have own garage.

Conti cars are maintanance heavy de. Juz need to put in more effort to take care. Jap n korean cars are simpler and less complicated.

To sum it up. Whichever car you are driving, as long as got put in effort to maintain and service the car shld not be tt bad de.

• Praise 3

Haha ....... but no joke, we do have a motorcycle manufacturing facility in SG.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/motorbike-made-in-spore-hits-the-roads

Not sure if it will take off.

govt must support la.. if they dont support olympic trg, this dont need think..

lol, bad joke bro, u made me click on link leh..

Edited by Apple-Tree

Come to think of it, I often hear people say conti car not suitable for SG climate. That's why got engine problem, breakdown,etc. And they will say better to get sushi/kimchi car instead....

But Japan has 4 seasons, and so does Korea.... just like those conti cars from Europe.....

So there is no basis at all to this claim? :secret-laugh:

You answered the question yourself.

• Praise 1

Part of the reason some parts of the car are from 3rd party vendors. The quality and reliability are not tested by the car maker. When vendors are from neighbouring European countries their parts are tested by them in their weather so for them is no problem.

Another reason I can think of a is the Europeans innovations. I recall reading a German car maker making hundreds of patents for their car parts and systems. I was like...so their customers will be their ginea pigs. Some things might look good on paper or even look innovative but when it comes to reliability and price it's ridiculous.

The Japanese car makers are conservative in many areas. What you expect of them is what you get. Nothing fancy. Ppl trust their products coz they have hardly fail them.

It is the heat plus the humidity that breakdown the rubber component.

How about winter -> contract, summer -> expand?  Wouldn't that worsen the rubber component?

Not forget salt on the road during winter?  It is as good as driving in beach.

Twincharged

then how come nobody here buy proton? Made in our weather wud..

This one over my dead body. The only thing worth spending my money to buy a want from Malaysia are durians.
  • Praise 1

So there is no basis at all to this claim?  :secret-laugh:

Yes its true.

Don't buy them.

:D

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement