Why conti car cannot tahan SG weather but sushi/kimchi can?

flashbang

VW say VW lah. :secret-laugh: Don't group all conti cars together :D

True dat! :D

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

Something to do with the material characteristics of the soft rubber.

My Samsonite attache bag came with a soft rubber handle, look and feel classy, not sticky when used daily. However, when not used for very long time, there is a layer of sticky oily substance on the handle. And this layer will resurface even though we tried to clean with detergent or lemon pledge.

Yes same with those soft rubber feel surface on some laptops and mouse... if never use for long time become layer of sticky grease... just threw away a microsoft mouse because of this although still working ok.

• Praise 1

Yes same with those soft rubber feel surface on some laptops and mouse... if never use for long time become layer of sticky grease... just threw away a microsoft mouse because of this although still working ok.

Good experience though. I now avoid products w such parts. Good to see n feel but simply not lasting.

then how come nobody here buy proton? Made in our weather wud..

No sushi/kimchi/bratwurst can beat proton's old Denso air-cond. That one is confirmed.

Good experience though. I now avoid products w such parts. Good to see n feel but simply not lasting.

Those kind of rubber should avoid... once it starts becoming sticky it is unusable.

It's an interesting question. Carmakers spend billions on R&D to develop cars, send them to extreme climates (hot and cold) to see how they cope and all.

What I suspect is, most car manufacturers don't really regard tropical countries like us as major markets, so to specifically design and engineer their products to withstand our special conditions that is unlike most of the rest of the world would be too expensive and counter-productive.

If it's good enough for 80% of the world then can already. The remaining 20% just suck thumb.

• Praise 5

Those plastic used in manufacturing of industrial plastic drums for oil, chemicals. But, consumers will complain on hard scratchy feel plastics. [laugh]

They are hard but not brittle, with some chewiness. If you have tried to cut open some of these containers, you get what I mean.

Anyway,i wonder how much more to make a Dashboard or other Plastic parts,to more Heat resistant.?

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

Twincharged

I don't think its a conti car problem. More like the soft touch material problem. Even lexus also got the same problem. Those soft touch materials really not suitable if you are going to park under the hot sun most of the time. The best option is to park under shade. Or else they just get sticky with age. Those hard plastic dashboards do not have problems under the hot sun.

• Praise 1

No le, i also find kimchi cars also cannot tahan sg weather also. The wear and tear parts replacement is faster and more frequent than sushi cars, according to my cousin who used to drive a kimchi car.

ok ok, i didnt go c lexus n infinity.. movin on, i think i'll jus get a less sophisticated ride.. nothin beats fuss free motoring imho..

would like to think its more electronics, hence more circuitry n higher likelihood of short or e fault. but if owner have car cam, ice, stage 1/2/3 remap, piggyback any car can oso catch fire potentially..

Simplicity plays a major role.  

Hyundai:  even though Elantra has moved 'forward' to 1.4TC w 7DCT (within 130hp), local AD still chooses to bring in 1.6NA with MPI.

Honda: The TC model is yet to be proved.  But the Euro 1.5T is in a higher state of tune than what we will get in SG.  And they seem to rather use the 1.6NA for the CAT A Civ then 1.0TC.  The L15B engine in the Vezel, Jazz, is not available in MY & Indo. 

Mazda: the 2.0L models were initially 13.0:1 compression.  Comp lowered, just like the offerings to the hotter states in the U.S.  Its only in the past year that SG now has the 14:0 compression 2 Litre models.

Toyota: Vios with engine hailing over 10yo + Dino 4AT still going strong in S.E.A markets.

It seems that the Jap/Kor, deliberately assign conservative models for our region.  This results in a boring ride but provides buffer for our hot, humid, start-stop traffic.

• Praise 1

Anyway,i wonder how much more to make a Dashboard or other Plastic parts,to more Heat resistant.?

Not much more.

That little box with the cash card inside

no matter how hot, no matter if every 

other plastic or rubber in the car melts

that little box will never melt.

:D

• Praise 6

Not much more.

That little box with the cash card inside

no matter how hot, no matter if every 

other plastic or rubber in the car melts

that little box will never melt.

:D

the best part is.................even so hot that the cash card become very soft and sometimes unreadable...............the little box still can read a new card............ [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 3

Twincharged

No le, i also find kimchi cars also cannot tahan sg weather also. The wear and tear parts replacement is faster and more frequent than sushi cars, according to my cousin who used to drive a kimchi car.

My korean and japanese car both about the same. In terms of reliability. My Hyundai around 9 years old, Honda around 8 years old. Conti one, not as reliable. in the workshop more often.

My korean and japanese car both about the same. In terms of reliability. My Hyundai around 9 years old, Honda around 8 years old. Conti one, not as reliable. in the workshop more often.

Yes, even my lao-pok Getz, over 9 years of use, never once did it fail to start and bring me to my destination and back after the appointment.  Not a single occasion where towing is needed or had to limp to the WS while on the road.  Just that due to low tech engine exacerbated by poor PWR, I get 9km/L for a 1.4NA...

Yes, even my lao-pok Getz, over 9 years of use, never once did it fail to start and bring me to my destination and back after the appointment.  Not a single occasion where towing is needed or had to limp to the WS while on the road.  Just that due to low tech engine exacerbated by poor PWR, I get 9km/L for a 1.4NA...

No towing needed or never fail to start doesnt mean the car can tahan sg weather. Lol. Many cars can last for 10 years without much major problem, but during the course of ownership, some particular car wear and tear parts might not last longer than other cars. Example like the radiator hose might harden easily etc.