2017 Hyundai i30

Thecarboy302

Bypass KMC today so went in to confirm with their SE. They said still to be the locally installed head unit wo Apple play or Android auto...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi existing i30 owners,

One thing to check with you guys. Noted that i30 also comes with auto start/stop engine function. Is this absolutely annoying to you? Understand that i30 has the switch button to off it though. Didn't feel on the start stop during my test drive probably its already off.

Sat in my fren vezel the other day, the start stop was bad in my view. Aircon becomes air blowing and slight delayed to start moving off from traffic stop.

Edited by lun71
  • Praise 1

Hi existing i30 owners,

One thing to check with you guys. Noted that i30 also comes with auto start/stop engine function. Is this absolutely annoying to you? Understand that i30 has the switch button to off it though. Didn't feel on the start stop during my test drive probably its already off.

Sat in my fren vezel the other day, the start stop was bad in my view. Aircon becomes air blowing and slight delayed to start moving off from traffic stop.

i tested out the i30 start/stop function before and it's actually not too annoying. the transition is quite smooth and at times you may not notice it because the engine at idle is already quiet.

anyways, if you don't want that function, good thing that the i30 has a button to disable it, so you have the option to easily set it anytime.

Edited by Coolant
  • Praise 2

not sure why the start stop is being asked here, can ask the same question in any brand and model and the answer is the same - everyone hates it.  it runs down the battery prematurely.  one difference in the i30 is the A/C does not turn off when SS is activated.  but most owners I know turned it off anyway. and no, you can't officially program to switch it off during the car starting.  

• Praise 1

not sure why the start stop is being asked here, can ask the same question in any brand and model and the answer is the same - everyone hates it. it runs down the battery prematurely. one difference in the i30 is the A/C does not turn off when SS is activated. but most owners I know turned it off anyway. and no, you can't officially program to switch it off during the car starting.

How can the A/C not be turned off? It's being run by the alternator belt which is powered by the engine.

Unless you're telling me the A/C in the i30 is powered independently.

• Praise 2

How can the A/C not be turned off? It's being run by the alternator belt which is powered by the engine.

Can be switched to run off the battery?
  • Praise 1

The aircon operate weaker but not off when auto start stop is activated. Like other cars with start stop, capacitor is used to power the aircon. If no more energy, the engine is activated again
  • Praise 2

not sure why the start stop is being asked here, can ask the same question in any brand and model and the answer is the same - everyone hates it. it runs down the battery prematurely. one difference in the i30 is the A/C does not turn off when SS is activated. but most owners I know turned it off anyway. and no, you can't officially program to switch it off during the car starting.

I presume you are currently drive i30 to make this statement.
  • Praise 2

I presume you are currently drive i30 to make this statement.

yup I am.  one of the few commenting here.  rest of the guys are in pte chat group, actively.  dunno if the ac shuts, lemme check again.  100% of the time I drive with SS disabled.  silly for engine to stop and start again, especially since we drive off quickly in fast pace SG where ppl dun like to wait for u.  

the other issue which is more important is Komoco quietly not answering to why there is power loss in 1st and 2nd gear.  I think its time for this issue to surface.  One owner has already sent complaint letter to the AD. 

Happy to share comments from owner's point of view, but no one is under any obligation to defend or justify the car, its purchase or technical capabilities, so rest easy. but I do think this car is a serious budget contender for the conti counterparts.  Just look at the specs n if u know conti makes, u know what I mean - 1.4 turbo, 7 spd DCT etc.  There are at least 2 to 3 euro brands with same specs and even 2 luxury ones which runs on 3 cylinders. 

Edited by Gz0707
  • Praise 1

yup I am.  one of the few commenting here.  rest of the guys are in pte chat group, actively.  dunno if the ac shuts, lemme check again.  100% of the time I drive with SS disabled.  silly for engine to stop and start again, especially since we drive off quickly in fast pace SG where ppl dun like to wait for u.  

Yes totally agree it is stupid and I also shut mine off each time i drive (no i am not driving i30). I guess SS is a "political" thing - to satisfy/appease the green movement (even if in reality many drivers disable it) just like emissions controls which led to the popularity of small engine turbos....

• Praise 2

Yes totally agree it is stupid and I also shut mine off each time i drive (no i am not driving i30). I guess SS is a "political" thing - to satisfy/appease the green movement (even if in reality many drivers disable it) just like emissions controls which led to the popularity of small engine turbos....

I also saw an update from an audio shop saying that they now have a module to switch off the SS function. Price? $120 upon asking.  quite silly now we have to mod this to disable SS, and also risk more warranty issues from AD, I'm sure.  It's on Soon Lee audio FB page, they have adv it there. I asked about i30, but no response yet.  

post-20347-0-44311800-1543297211_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gz0707

the other issue which is more important is Komoco quietly not answering to why there is power loss in 1st and 2nd gear.  I think its time for this issue to surface.  One owner has already sent complaint letter to the AD. 

Happy to share comments from owner's point of view, but no one is under any obligation to defend or justify the car, its purchase or technical capabilities, so rest easy. but I do think this car is a serious budget contender for the conti counterparts.  Just look at the specs n if u know conti makes, u know what I mean - 1.4 turbo, 7 spd DCT etc.  There are at least 2 to 3 euro brands with same specs and even 2 luxury ones which runs on 3 cylinders. 

appreciate your contribution. 

Anyway whats wrong with the power loss in 1st and 2nd gear ? care to elaborate more ? 

• Praise 1

appreciate your contribution. 

Anyway whats wrong with the power loss in 1st and 2nd gear ? care to elaborate more ? 

No offence bro, just answering to a few comments but I din tag them.  but guess what?  they are right ... checked with the guys and the AC goes to minimal as engine shuts down.  same as other cars :(

The "turbo lag" or lack of a better description, is loss of power in gear 1 and 2, sometimes when turning.  this has caused concern amongst i30 drivers and we are waiting for a firmware/ECU update which is said to be testing by AD.  But sadly, no communications has been forthcoming and most of us are still in the dark. :( 

No offence bro, just answering to a few comments but I din tag them. but guess what? they are right ... checked with the guys and the AC goes to minimal as engine shuts down. same as other cars :(

The "turbo lag" or lack of a better description, is loss of power in gear 1 and 2, sometimes when turning. this has caused concern amongst i30 drivers and we are waiting for a firmware/ECU update which is said to be testing by AD. But sadly, no communications has been forthcoming and most of us are still in the dark. :(

Probably lessons learnt from the vw DSG saga. The software probably limits the power to save the clutch and prevent overheating. Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

Probably lessons learnt from the vw DSG saga. The software probably limits the power to save the clutch and prevent overheating.

yes, that was a discussion point amongst us too, from those who had VW DSG experience, but first time for me.  But the software tuning may need to be adjusted via the power limitations, cos no one wants to be caught stuck in a traffic junction or up the slope in MSCP with loss of power.  I have experienced this before its not fun at all.  

yes, that was a discussion point amongst us too, from those who had VW DSG experience, but first time for me. But the software tuning may need to be adjusted via the power limitations, cos no one wants to be caught stuck in a traffic junction or up the slope in MSCP with loss of power. I have experienced this before its not fun at all.

Tuscon 1.6T also DSG right, that's seem not hear any complaint..

Tuscon 1.6T also DSG right, that's seem not hear any complaint..

yup, but I dunno them.  they have FB group, but less active, cos maybe more family car. 

the i30 group is super zhng one. brake kits, audio, suspension, front lips, side skirt, LED lights etc.  we even mod the foot rest pedals. hahaha

Edited by Gz0707

yup, but I dunno them. they have FB group, but less active, cos maybe more family car.

the i30 group is super zhng one. brake kits, audio, suspension, front lips, side skirt, LED lights etc. we even mod the foot rest pedals. hahaha

thanks anyway.

great sharing the pro and con from owner point of view.

this will help other potential buyer to evaluate and other current owner to aware of this issue.

we wish you all(i30 owners) able to get the fix soon from KMC.

↡ Advertisement