2016 Estima Driving voltage 12.2V. Normal?

Sockeye02

Hello!

I have a problem with my 1 month old Estima: While driving suddenly I lost power steering, Speed reading and all the warning lights including Engine, Power steering, traction control and ABS came on. The car remained drivable and the engine sounded the same. Brought it to the service center (PI) and they said it was a bad battery, changed it. Problem happened again and they changed battery again. Finally they also changed the alternator at my insistence but the problem continued. They then blamed the drive camera for draining too much battery. I've been asked to unplug it and see if the error comes back on.

I have a HUD which reads real time voltage. I noticed that when in Park, its always 13.8-14.2V. When I drive, for the first few mins it will remain in this range. After that, on the road it will suddenly drop to 12.2V when the accelerator is being pressed. If I stop stepping on the accelerator while the car is moving at speed, the voltage will jump back to 14.2-14.4V. Also when I turn on the lights the voltage will jump to 13.7V. Turning on or off the air con makes no difference.

I'm wondering if this is normal behaviour for the Estima or do I have a problem with some electronic control component?

Thanks for any advice!

P.S. Since this is my first post, I'm not allowed to start a new topic but if anyone is kind enough to help me re-post this in the Japan Car forum, I'll be very grateful for the increased exposure!

↡ Advertisement

This is the alternator issue.

Normally, when the engine is running, the battery reading should be around 14V.

If it drops due to turning on headlights or aircon to 12.x V, it is usually a voltage regulation problem with the alternator.

However, a car with smart alternator can control the output voltage between 13 and 14V depending on electrical loads.

But I don't think it should ever drop below 12.6V which is actually the battery voltage level at 100% charge.

In short, it appears to be a charging problem, aka alternator fault.

Drive camera electrical load is very small, it will not cause such a drastic drop in voltage.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 3

This is the alternator issue.

Normally, when the engine is running, the battery reading should be around 14V.

If it drops due to turning on headlights or aircon to 12.x V, it is usually a voltage regulation problem with the alternator.

However, a car with smart alternator can control the output voltage between 13 and 14V depending on electrical loads.

But I don't think it should ever drop below 12.6V which is actually the battery voltage level at 100% charge.

In short, it appears to be a charging problem, aka alternator fault.

Drive camera electrical load is very small, it will not cause such a drastic drop in voltage.

You may wt to chk any loose contact that causes intermittent on the charge

You may wt to chk any loose contact that causes intermittent on the charge

Good point.

Loose contact at battery terminal can cause charging issue, as well as sometimes cannot start engine.

The other thing to look out for is the accessory belt driving the alternator.

If it's broken and almost going to break, it can cause uneven charging and fluctating voltage.

Sounds like faulty alternator. Was is charging?

Another possibility may be contact issue. Check ur terminals for green powdery deposits. Mine when during drive last few weeks voltage at low 13v but if put on D n use power window may momentarily drop to high 12v. My batt is amaron at 2yo n had such deposit. After proper clean up voltage went back to high 13v. Cold start in morning reads 14-14.2v

If I'm not wrong it's your HUD. It's best not to plug any device permanantly to your car's OBD port. The OBD port has direct access to the car's ecu. Another thing is that a lot of such HUDs are MIC the components they used in making the circuit is usually questionable. The result of the warning lights lighting up like Christmas tree I believe it's the OBD device. Unplug it from the OBD port.

I know of someone who used a OBD device which could remotely open the car's windows. It interfered with his car's aircon controlling system. The AD's mechanics removed the device and run the aircon and it is running fine.

Last thing you want is to damage your car's ecu. Good luck.

Note: OBD device be it diagnostic or whatever. Avoid buying those that are made in China. It's not that I'm biased but it's cheap for a reason.

Plugging a device to your OBD port also draws power even when you off the ignition unless the device has an auto off function that doesn't suck power.

Edited by Watwheels

Hello!

I have a problem with my 1 month old Estima: While driving suddenly I lost power steering, Speed reading and all the warning lights including Engine, Power steering, traction control and ABS came on. The car remained drivable and the engine sounded the same. Brought it to the service center (PI) and they said it was a bad battery, changed it. Problem happened again and they changed battery again. Finally they also changed the alternator at my insistence but the problem continued. They then blamed the drive camera for draining too much battery. I've been asked to unplug it and see if the error comes back on.

I have a HUD which reads real time voltage. I noticed that when in Park, its always 13.8-14.2V. When I drive, for the first few mins it will remain in this range. After that, on the road it will suddenly drop to 12.2V when the accelerator is being pressed. If I stop stepping on the accelerator while the car is moving at speed, the voltage will jump back to 14.2-14.4V. Also when I turn on the lights the voltage will jump to 13.7V. Turning on or off the air con makes no difference.

I'm wondering if this is normal behaviour for the Estima or do I have a problem with some electronic control component?

Thanks for any advice!

P.S. Since this is my first post, I'm not allowed to start a new topic but if anyone is kind enough to help me re-post this in the Japan Car forum, I'll be very grateful for the increased exposure!

I think its best that you disconnect every non factory installed devices from your car and see if the same issue happens. Also better not send in the car with these devices connected in case the AD/PI play smelly and void your warranty.