5 days Road Trip in Malaysia - suggestions & tips?

therock

Bros

Should be finalising my route soon for the June up.

Can I ask, from Kuantan home, do you take the coastal road or swing from Kuantan inland to Segamat and then onto the NSH?

I think the coastal road will be more scenic, but if I understand correctly, it's a single lane main road, and I will face a lot of large lorries?

Will be using it on a Monday, probably setting off late morning from Kuantan.

Thank you

Finally, anywhere on the NS highway that I can buy a local M'sian data SIM?

If coming back from Kuantan, I prefer coastal route 3.

↡ Advertisement

Thanks bros

I guess I will use Singtel roaming then for $10... hope that's enough for Google maps..

Do you all pump the tires a little softer so that in such long runs, the ride won't be too firm?

eg instead of 270 (suggested on the fuel cap), pump 240?

Turbocharged

Do remember to have ur dinner early when u r there. Its the fasting month n definitely break fast time will b super pack. Other than that, during daytime it should b gd to walk ard or hv meals as most of the ppl there will b less active.

• Praise 1

extended drive can pump slightly higher than recommended, but not lesser. Too soft = tyres heat up much more easily = burst tyres probability higher.

Thanks bros

I guess I will use Singtel roaming then for $10... hope that's enough for Google maps..

Do you all pump the tires a little softer so that in such long runs, the ride won't be too firm?

• Praise 4

Hypersonic

Thanks bros

If you are using the Google map, you pre-download the Malaysia map. You can use it without data. Just that you don't have online traffic information.

• Praise 3

Just to share I recently drove up to malacca and used singtel 10gb for a month. As I connect to my car's android auto system for Google maps, really good. When crossing customs it switches networks easily and readily. Singtel have 2 partner networks in Malaysia so didn't lose any signal I between.

• Praise 3

Bros

Should be finalising my route soon for the June up.

Can I ask, from Kuantan home, do you take the coastal road or swing from Kuantan inland to Segamat and then onto the NSH?

I think the coastal road will be more scenic, but if I understand correctly, it's a single lane main road, and I will face a lot of large lorries?

Will be using it on a Monday, probably setting off late morning from Kuantan. 

Thank you

Finally, anywhere on the NS highway that I can buy a local M'sian data SIM?

check this out ---> https://litesim.tron.com.my/newsim/create

Tron Malaysia is riding on Digi network.

I am currently using Tron Prepaid SIM [formally signed up with Genting Worldcard Mobile Prepaid].

I am still using this due to the following considerations : 

- the prepaid can be used for tel/data/sms.

- minimum RM10 topup will extend validity for 1 year.

- online account to view usage, top-up, subscribe/unsubscribe adhoc daily/weekly/monthy data plans.

• Praise 3

Seems like they deliver to SG now too (without extra charge?).

I am currently using Tron Prepaid SIM [formally signed up with Genting Worldcard Mobile Prepaid].

- online account to view usage, top-up, subscribe/unsubscribe adhoc daily/weekly/monthy data plans.

But I don't think they have 4G network. I emailed them couple of months back. I got it from Genting free package last time. I agree with all the pros are all listed.
  • Praise 2

(edited)

Thanks bros

I would usually soften the tyres a bit if the majority of the journey takes place on Cat B roads (ie. 1 lane in either direction). That is in anticipation of the road conditions and the ever existence of potholes on Malasyia kampung roads. If its a mixture of road conditions, I guess the recommended tyre pressure should suffice.

Edited by Buadongdong
  • Praise 2

Bros

Any nice places to eat near KLCC?
Will probably stay at Sunway Putra.

As for parking I should:

Park head in

Use a steering wheel lock

Park at a bright lit area

Anything else? 

Thanks

I would usually soften the tyres a bit if the majority of the journey takes place on Cat B roads (ie. 1 lane in either direction). That is in anticipation of the road conditions and the ever existence of potholes on Malasyia kampung roads. If its a mixture of road conditions, I guess the recommended tyre pressure should suffice.

My take is we should not change the tyre pressure from the recommended becoz the long distance driving it-self have many variety of conditions e.g. high speed, low speed, pot holes, flat road, smooth road, sunny, raining, hot, cold....all these will affect the tire performance one way or the other...too much air or too little air is not good... [;)]

Bros

Any nice places to eat near KLCC?

Will probably stay at Sunway Putra.

As for parking I should:

Park head in

Use a steering wheel lock

Park at a bright lit area

Anything else? 

Thanks

A power bank that could jump start car battery is useful....Print a copy of your car insurance and road tax disc....check with your car agent if they have workshop tie up for Msia roadside assist...if not some people sign up AAS for peace of mind for breakdown assist 

• Praise 2

Thanks bro, appreciate all the tips and sharing, I am finally able to set off!

Drinks and kopi on me when we catch up, cheers.

Thanks bro, appreciate all the tips and sharing, I am finally able to set off!

Drinks and kopi on me when we catch up, cheers.

Be safe and enjoy ur drive up north + holiday...

• Praise 2

Anyone drove up yesterday

Super long queue at the customs..

Luckily it was smooth once we were past the checkpoint.

Solid smooth ride on the highway and it's always nice to have enough torque to overtake effortlessly.

400km on half a tank .. and only M$63 to top up with vpower.. shiok:)

Turbocharged

Don't drive lorry/bus lane near custom area.

Instant karma.....boleh land mata fast hand fast leg catch up to summon

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2