Recommend a book to a fellow reader

Lala81

Bro, I bought it from kinok*n*y* @ bugis j. Dunno if they replenish cos mine's the last copy. Good luck!

i read ebooks now. physical books take up too much space.

I highly recommend those who want to be ahead among their peers is to start reading biographies of people who are important to you and who you wished to be inspired by. We all need a role model even if you are rich and famous. This was highlighted by our late senior minister, Lee Kuan Yew. Like him, I don't read fiction books which at least to me and I believe it is true, it is a time waster and does little to add any quality to one's life. You can do all these while you sleep and dream.

Some say it is a form of relaxation reading a fiction book but there are more ways of relaxation that are free including exercising in the park. It generally benefits the author of the fiction book more than you by enriching him with wealth and fame.

There is no right or wrong except whatever that makes you feel better.

Fiction is imagination.

If everything in movies, music, literature, arts were all based on reality, life would be much more dull. 

I don't really read biographies anymore. Unless you want to read it as a historical perspective or the person's views of certain events like the Hard Truth series.

Every single successful person accounts for everything except dumb plain luck/opportunity for their success.

You're right that whatever makes you feels better within moderation is fine.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Searching for Mahathir's books now.... [laugh]

I always wonder how he can remain so spritely, energetic and youthful inspite of his old age.  [thumbsup]

Relak one corner mah.

You think he really cares about Malaysia meh  [laugh]

He only cares about helping his son rise to power.

Yeah, he's energetic for someone at that age. Must be a combination of genetics and taking care of his body.

my collections, actually trying to give them away [laugh]

attachicon.gifrps20160918_212906.jpg

Wah, you still keep so many....

Can this still be bought anywhere?

My England no good... Only read English book during Sec school time as need to write book review.  [:p]  [:p]

But I almost completed all the Jin Yong novels and read a lot of Wei Shi Li scientific book last time.

• Praise 1

Wah, you still keep so many....

Can this still be bought anywhere?

My England no good... Only read English book during Sec school time as need to write book review. [:p][:p]

But I almost completed all the Jin Yong novels and read a lot of Wei Shi Li scientific book last time.

my son keep buying them in malacca when he was a kids like 10 years ago.

wah if you still have the whole series of jingyong or wei shi li will worth a lot now.

• Praise 1

Ok was inspired by some of the bookworm threads in HWZ.

Reading books maybe considered old fashioned in this day and age. I was clearing out some books and comics out from my parents' storeroom as they are undergoing renovation, so was inspired to start this thread.

You can strongly recommend a book or the book you are currently reading.

Of course there are sites like goodreads. But I'm curious if any of you still read actively. Any genre is fine except for tiko ones.

I read mostly fantasy/urban fantasy/thrillers and more "serious" books.

Currently I'm reading this. Thinking, fast and slow by Danial Kahneman.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11468377-thinking-fast-and-slow

Do chip in with what you are reading or what you think is a MUST READ! [grin]

Think we have similar tastes in books. Perhaps you would like this ? One of the MCF Bros introduced to me. Really intriguing read. Found myself doing things a little differently after reading it. I got the ePub too. Pm me if you want it otherwise you can always BT it

post-34895-0-32425100-1474212575.jpg

• Praise 2

I highly recommend those who want to be ahead among their peers is to start reading biographies of people who are important to you and who you wished to be inspired by. We all need a role model even if you are rich and famous. This was highlighted by our late senior minister, Lee Kuan Yew. Like him, I don't read fiction books which at least to me and I believe it is true, it is a time waster and does little to add any quality to one's life. You can do all these while you sleep and dream.

Some say it is a form of relaxation reading a fiction book but there are more ways of relaxation that are free including exercising in the park. It generally benefits the author of the fiction book more than you by enriching him with wealth and fame.

There is no right or wrong except whatever that makes you feel better.

Seems like you have the same taste as me  [:)]

I read autobiographies, history, any type of history, sports, philosophy, erotic stories, comics. I can read both english or chinese. I read chinese if it is on china history or chinese personalities or chinese classic novels. There was a period of time I even read shakespeare, just because from not interested in literature and sleeping in class to scoring A2 for O levels which included Julius Caesar as one of the books tested  [laugh]

But seriously it has been a while since I really buy or borrow any books to read. And the last one I read was biography from a footballer John Hartson borrowed from the library. But that was because after taking into account my daughter's books I still left one more item I can loan and library closing soon so just take and go  :XD:

Now I just read what my daughter borrowed  :XD: Since sometimes she asked me to read a couple of chapters to her, so I just read lor [:p]  Save my time looking for books to read and still keep up with some reading. And also know what she is reading, coz the books are chosen by herself. I just finished reading her books "silver dolphins - River Rescue" and "Switch - Lizard Loopy".

Edited by Bismarck

wah if you still have the whole series of jingyong or wei shi li will worth a lot now.

The one I like most..

post-29292-0-61052500-1474214297_thumb.jpg

• Praise 5

Lol I have the entire compendium of jingyong on ebook format. It will probably require an entire bookshelf in real life.

something light and uplifting.

Wow this is my dad's book. There's another one by the same guy. His comics are quite funny. Think he's Aussie. He's fairly famous in sg in the 90s. Got book signing and all.

Reading is out of fashion ?? Reading was never in fashion in Singapore relative to how much people read in the First World.

Recommend 1946: The Making of the Modern World by Victor Sebestyen.

I have to agree. When I went to Taiwan with my friend in 2008. I was surprised how many Taiwanese were reading a book in their Mrt.
  • Praise 1

Steven Erikson - The Malazan Book of the Fallen Series

Wah sounds heavy going, worse than robert jordan haha

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement