Recommend a book to a fellow reader

Lala81

I'd agree.

Life changing fiction include

1. Animal Farm

2. 1984 by George Orwell

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5470.1984

Personally i feel these 2 books really made me see the world in a different light.

I read animal farm when I was 11 years old and 1984 when I was 14 years old. So I think when they are around 10 I can intro the book to them. 1984 might be too complicated for young children to enjoy reading that's why I didn't include :D At least for animal farm there are animals to keep the children interested [laugh] they can decide later if they want to read 1984 or not.

↡ Advertisement

I read animal farm when I was 11 years old and 1984 when I was 14 years old. So I think when they are around 10 I can intro the book to them. 1984 might be too complicated for young children to enjoy reading that's why I didn't include :D At least for animal farm there are animals to keep the children interested [laugh] they can decide later if they want to read 1984 or not.

1984 should be read after JC or in university.

It's not something you can understand before then.

I watched the animal farm cartoon many times since i was a boy. But i guess i appreciated it much more when i read the actual book in university.

wahseh...all like very knowledgable.

I read this kind...have a few full boxes at home, can't sell on carousell also.

Maybe next time pass to my son as "chinese enrichment"

feng_yun2.jpg

I'm so glad that I was into these HK comics when I was in sch even though adults back then thought that they were rubbish. That's how I unconsciously honed my Chinese capability.

Even though my written Chinese today has gone down the drain due to lack of practice, I can still speak and read Chinese (simple and traditional) effortlessly today. Especially useful in communicating with Taiwan and PRC customers if you're in a regional job. Really pity some of my angmo-pai colleagues struggling with their Chinese during meeting and conf call until face turned green.

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 3

I watched the animal farm cartoon many times since i was a boy. But i guess i appreciated it much more when i read the actual book in university.

Well that's not true for me. 11 years old was considered my turning point in terms of reading as I started to explore more books and spend a lot of time at library. Of course at that time the versions I read were lighter and simple versions of the original one. I do admit it was only later after many readings and of thicker versions + age then I understand the deeper meaning of it.

By the time my daughter hits JC age, I'm afraid they will read 1984 and ask what the fuss is all about.

Even right now, big brother is already watching everyone.

• Praise 1

Well that's not true for me. 11 years old was considered my turning point in terms of reading as I started to explore more books and spend a lot of time at library. Of course at that time the versions I read were lighter and simple versions of the original one. I do admit it was only later after many readings and of thicker versions + age then I understand the deeper meaning of it.

Haha got simple versions one ar. I never knew. I read the book in my uni library. Took me about 1 hr.

By the time my daughter hits JC age, I'm afraid they will read 1984 and ask what the fuss is all about.

Even right now, big brother is already watching everyone.

hmm kinda true. But 1984 is not about watching. It's about thought control. I think that's the most disturbing part of it.

You kinda sometimes wonder how can North Koreans live with that bui bui at the top, but NK is the closest u get to 1984 currently.

• Praise 1

Haha got simple versions one ar. I never knew. I read the book in my uni library. Took me about 1 hr.

hmm kinda true. But 1984 is not about watching. It's about thought control. I think that's the most disturbing part of it.

You kinda sometimes wonder how can North Koreans live with that bui bui at the top, but NK is the closest u get to 1984 currently.

Yes. Same in chinese classic novels too. When I read romance of 3 kingdom and water margin at 11 years old that time also have, if not how to understand if I read original one at that age, especially when chinese words are so difficult? 

Yes. Same in chinese classic novels too. When I read romance of 3 kingdom and water margin at 11 years old that time also have, if not how to understand if I read original one at that age, especially when chinese words are so difficult? 

Those i read the illustrated english/Chinese abbreviated version. Haha i've never read the original chinese version.

Those i read the illustrated english/Chinese abbreviated version. Haha i've never read the original chinese version.

I even bought them [hur] come to think of it I shouldn't have coz it's taking up space.

post-48246-0-62148200-1474284142_thumb.jpg

I even bought them [hur] come to think of it I shouldn't have coz it's taking up space.

attachicon.gifIMG_8616.JPG

haha u are a bean counter!

Ok lah. I advocate e books cos need more space in the house. Convenience also.

But i do miss the satisfaction of having a book and the cover etc.

Only the children get luxury of hardcopy books now.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

You only read AMTK books lor. Most local and regional books like those from Singapore and South East Asia are practically not available in digital formats.

Yup true. 

Maybe when my kids grow older and need to go library, then i go library & borrow some.

Depends on what your interest is bah.

I love this 2 books attachicon.gif318525.jpgattachicon.gifTheSicilian.jpg

Red storm rising is the classic WW3 novel.

Too bad Tom Clancy has passed on. I liked most of his books except clear and present danger.

No worries. Never surprise how little we know and read about our own region.

Except for my friend who is an analyst with mindef, i don't think any of my friends are interested in our history/geopolitical events.

Why leh ? 

Guess their interests don't lie that way. We didn't study humanities in JC except my analyst friend.

I guess they are only interested in current affairs in the way it affects financial markets and news  [laugh]

Ah there's another one but he's an ex-journalist. Lol.

Does reading this consider  [:p]  [:p]

I remember chasing after every release of new book....

Sorry @lala81, spoiling your thread...  :secret-laugh:

post-29292-0-25871200-1474290980.jpg

• Praise 1

Red storm rising is the classic WW3 novel.

Too bad Tom Clancy has passed on. I liked most of his books except clear and present danger.

Except for my friend who is an analyst with mindef, i don't think any of my friends are interested in our history/geopolitical events.

ya....i liked Tolands' character....the anti-hero type. But the battle scene need a lot of imagination with all the acronym used. Russia really emphasized on their armour doing a blietzkrig on Germany and as usual US their air superiority and power projection. Too bad it is just a novel as i doubt such a scenario will ever be played out!

I read the book about 12 yrs ago......and read it again 5 yrs later. Now i dont know where i put it...

Edited by Eviilusion

Does reading this consider  [:p]  [:p]

I remember chasing after every release of new book....

Sorry @lala81, spoiling your thread...  :secret-laugh:

This is one of the mangas i kept.

It's a classic.

I discarded initial D and a few others.

I think the Singapore/asian horror stories or Adrian Mole is probably our best known books.

Wah read about these, mai la. Don't want to read about what sickos do.

Singapore and South East Asia only got current affairs and political books ? How sad.

Someone selling this book for $1 - https://sg.carousell.com/p/27936850/

9789812041258-us.jpg

ya....i liked Tolands' character....the anti-hero type. But the battle scene need a lot of imagination with all the acronym used. Russia really emphasized on their armour doing a blietzkrig on Germany and as usual US their air superiority and power projection. Too bad it is just a novel as i doubt such a scenario will ever be played out!

I read the book about 12 yrs ago......and read it again 5 yrs later. Now i dont know where i put it...

↡ Advertisement