Recommend a book to a fellow reader

Lala81

I have this book! This tragic case happened just a few blocks from my home in Toa Payoh. I was in lower secondary at that time. Time flies!

It was big big news during that time. My mum didn't allow me to go out and play during that time like what I usually do.

• Praise 1

I have this book! This tragic case happened just a few blocks from my home in Toa Payoh. I was in lower secondary at that time. Time flies!

And this block is still around after decades.  [sweatdrop]

Lol it's ok, kids have different temperament. Mine was really well behaved when I bring them to watch, especially my daughter. The last play we watched was Annie @Mbs and I really appreciate they can tong the whole show without fussing. But it's good that you start early and bring them to watch stage plays and musicals. As parents we always want to give the best we can afford and since I didn't get the chance to watch such things when I was young so I hope they can enjoy things that I didn't have previously. Personally I can't wait to let my children read animal farm because this book has a profound effect on my thinking and change my preference on the type of books I read.

i love animal farms too!

4 legs good! 2 legs better!

all animals are equal but some are more equal than others!

but i only truly appreciated the book when i was much older.... 

I have 2 books on Ci Xi, 3 books on Mao Tze Tung, 1 on Deng Xiao Ping, 1 on Lin Biao, 1 on Boxer Rebillion . . . . . interesting! [laugh]

Have you read The Gate of Heavenly Peace: The Chinese and Their Revolution by Jonathan D. Spence? Very good read.

Think many of us have also read The Good Earth by Pearl Buck.

Angmo who knows more about Chinese history and culture than me writing about the Chinese.

• Praise 1

yeah i stopped reading self help books years ago.

Books i would recommend:

1. Outliers

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3228917-outliers

2. Flash Boys

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24724602-flash-boys

3. Nuture shock - for parents of young kids

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6496815-nurtureshock?from_search=true

4. Freakonomics and the follow up Super Freakonomics

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20655234-freakonomics-superfreakonomics?ac=1&from_search=true

I don't read a lot these days but the above are books I have read, save for item 3. Must ask you for recommendation on books of similar genre.

I'd agree.

Life changing fiction include

1. Animal Farm

2. 1984 by George Orwell

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5470.1984

Personally i feel these 2 books really made me see the world in a different light.

Both are good

Used to read lots of Sidney seldon, Danielle steel, and all those literature books like Macbeth, old Mali and the boy and when a kid, finished all the Enid blyton books [:p]

Think now I read more news than friction books

Biographies are a little too heavy for me

Haha...u also read meh, I always thot u r much older, these two books are not bad [:p]

U got watch the movie bo ð

movie release I no longer teenager so didn't watch

....teens and teenage mags u also read hmmm...kekeke

erm... if not go where to learn how to chase xmms?

parents don't teach one hor

Lai admit it... who read these before?

ð

Got movie some more. Was slightly written before my time but super Singaporean classics Haha

Both are good

Used to read lots of Sidney seldon, Danielle steel, and all those literature books like Macbeth, old Mali and the boy and when a kid, finished all the Enid blyton books [:p]

Think now I read more news than friction books

Biographies are a little too heavy for me

Sidney Sheldon. Oh OK lah.

But Jeffrey archer was much better.

Danielle steel. Err read a few when my sis borrowed from library. OK. Chick lit lol

U can read Confessions of a shopaholic. My wife and my sis in law both read it. Chick lit.

The verses in Shakespeare are very poetic in terms of drama and depth but somehow it doesn't appeal to me.

Macbeth was my O level lit text.

• Praise 1

Got movie some more. Was slightly written before my time but super Singaporean classics Haha

Danielle steel. Err read a few when my sis borrowed from library. OK. Chick lit lol

U can read Confessions of a shopaholic. My wife and my sis in law both read it. Chick lit.

The verses in Shakespeare are very poetic in terms of drama and depth but somehow it doesn't appeal to me.

Macbeth and lord of the flies for o levels E lit?

Wah really no change textbooks for long time

I don't read a lot these days but the above are books I have read, save for item 3. Must ask you for recommendation on books of similar genre. ð

No. 3 is an excellent read. Evidence based discussion on some particular pitfalls of child nurturing. Doesn't just tell you do this but shows some evidence why it happens so.

I actually read the book thrice and summarized it into Evernote for my wife who's too disinterested to get through it.

I recently read this book about creativity which was pretty interesting. Explains certain elements that are required for creativity to flourish.

Imagine: how creativity works by Jonah lehrer

And this block is still around after decades. [sweatdrop]

Huh still haven't torn down??

Macbeth and lord of the flies for o levels E lit?

Wah really no change textbooks for long time

ð

I've not read Lord of the flies.

I'm not really into classic books. Tend to like 打打杀杀 kinda fiction. hahaha

I actually mostly read fiction but just that less and less authors I'm willing to invest the time to read.

I don't mind reading young adult fiction as well. Quite fun. Not so serious type of books.

• Praise 1

Oh ya...forgot about Jeffrey archer, yeah read most of his books too

Macbeth was ok for me coz literature is my fav sub [:p]

• Praise 2

Have you read The Gate of Heavenly Peace: The Chinese and Their Revolution by Jonathan D. Spence? Very good read.

Think many of us have also read The Good Earth by Pearl Buck.

Angmo who knows more about Chinese history and culture than me writing about the Chinese.

Thanks bro! I go check this weekend.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1