Recommend a book to a fellow reader

Lala81

No. 3 is an excellent read. Evidence based discussion on some particular pitfalls of child nurturing. Doesn't just tell you do this but shows some evidence why it happens so.

I actually read the book thrice and summarized it into Evernote for my wife who's too disinterested to get through it.

I recently read this book about creativity which was pretty interesting. Explains certain elements that are required for creativity to flourish.

Imagine: how creativity works by Jonah lehrer

Huh still haven't torn down??

I've not read Lord of the flies.

I'm not really into classic books. Tend to like 打打杀杀 kinda fiction. hahaha

I actually mostly read fiction but just that less and less authors I'm willing to invest the time to read.

I don't mind reading young adult fiction as well. Quite fun. Not so serious type of books.

Thanks Doc, will check it out. I have been going through this thread and taking notes. Planning to read a bit when I start clearing leave in Nov and Dec period. This is an excellent thread.

• Praise 2

Mai kay kay, you hang out at tea dance and skating rink to chase xmms right [laugh]

Or you write pen pal taken from teen magazine :XD:

Wah those were the so-called popular authors of my time [laugh]

same gen expert skirt chaser found

• Praise 3

yeah i stopped reading self help books years ago.

Books i would recommend:

1. Outliers

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3228917-outliers

2. Flash Boys

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24724602-flash-boys

3. Nuture shock - for parents of young kids

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6496815-nurtureshock?from_search=true

4. Freakonomics and the follow up Super Freakonomics

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20655234-freakonomics-superfreakonomics?ac=1&from_search=true

For item 4, there's a follow-up by the same authors: Think like a Freak. also not a bad piece I feel

• Praise 1

Searching for Mahathir's books now.... [laugh]

I always wonder how he can remain so spritely, energetic and youthful inspite of his old age. [thumbsup]

Fella is on a mission. If have mission in life...no matter what your body will try to remain healthy and alive. His former mission was Anwar...now Najib..

Read this when I was 9, and also watched the mini-series.  Was my first novel.  Peter Strauss stars as Abel Rosnovski while Sam Neil stars as William Kane.

104851.jpg

• Praise 1

Did you go to the unit to look see look see ?

aiyoh, that time still a young boy . . dare not even go near that block of flats.

the guy who bought the flat got interviewed and appeared in one documentary on the killings :mellow:

haha i only read part of it in a bookshop when i was in sec school.

This book many MCF bros would recommend [laugh] [laugh]

5185NBV65BL.jpg

Read this when I was 9, and also watched the mini-series. Was my first novel. Peter Strauss stars as Abel Rosnovski while Sam Neil stars as William Kane.

104851.jpg

Wow at that age, i m still reading kiddo books, u grew fast

• Praise 3

No one read James Clavell? Taipan, Noble House, Shogun, Gaijin and closer to home, King Rat.

I did!! Read Tai Pan first, followed by Noble House and Gaijin.  Shogun was last. 

No Eric Lustbader fans i.e. Nicholas Linear trilogy?

Larry Bond -  The Enemy Within (smack on the dot about today's terrorism issues).  He wrote this in 1996, way better than Clancy, imo.

Erich Segal - The Class, Doctors  (famous for that movie Love Story, he wrote it).

Umberto Eco - The Name of the Rose

Edited by Mason016

I did!! Read Tai Pan first, followed by Noble House and Gaijin.  Shogun was last. 

No Eric Lustbader fans i.e. Nicholas Linear trilogy?

Larry Bond -  The Enemy Within (smack on the dot about today's terrorism issues).  He wrote this in 1996, way better than Clancy, imo.

Erich Segal - The Class, Doctors  (famous for that movie Love Story, he wrote it).

Umberto Eco - The Name of the Rose

Can see I'm a bit younger than you guys based on the book selection hahaha

Huh still haven't torn down??

Havent torn down yet, that sector all flats torn down and rebuilt, but only left that particular blk still standing there! You go and see. Lol.

5185NBV65BL.jpg

I think it was written before the prc, vietnam influx of students and tourist. Information are dated. It was an interesting reas though.
  • Praise 1

Don't look down on Singaporean books, this one was one of NYT bestsellers. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/05/books/review/comics-the-art-of-charlie-chan-hock-chye-and-more.html?_r=0

9781101870693_custom-82a1ab5641f7bca0c7b

Yes, a "naughty" book, according to the powers that be... [laugh] It parodies the authoritarian atmosphere that pervades newsrooms in singapore in the past, where journalists that don't toe the line will get locked up in the 'storeroom' indefinitely [laugh] You will recognize some of the parodied characters appearing. Hilarious, but of course, not funny for those who lived through those times and experienced it.

Ironically, this book wasn't well-known at first, until the NAC grant for it was suddenly withdrawn for obvious reasons. That created some news, and unintentional publicity for the book, to the benefit of the author and publisher.

To be fair though, I actually found the book freely available for borrowing in a public library here, which goes some way to show how the times have changed.

5185NBV65BL.jpg

I think you actually mean many MCF bros can write the updated version!! [laugh]

Edited by Sosaria
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2