How do you signal your intention when parking in a lot?

How do you signal your intention when parking?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How do you signal your intention when parking in a lot?

• Use signal lights ONLY
    • Use hazard lights ONLY
    • Use BOTH signal AND hazard lights
    • What lights?

I had always practiced switching on hazard lights (in advance, before stopping), plus turning my car to an angle with rear facing into the empty slot before reversing.

I was told driving schools nowadays teach to signal with left or right turn signal and I see some cars do this. Wouldn't this sometimes cause confusion especially if the parking car is near to a turn junction in the carpark?

In this thread, i would like to first determine what is the correct procedures and then discuss which is better and safer. I remember my driving school (BBDC) taught to use hazard lights for parking 10 years ago. Can someone confirm this?

Another observation is that some cars (especially taxi) turn on their left or right signal when they were coming to a stop on the roadside. I am pretty sure it should be hazard lights in such case. Not sure if it is because one side of the light is faulty but this happens quite often.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Left or right signal to indicate the lot u gg for.

Dunno how the hazard light practice started but hazard means stop ...

This was taught to me in 1990 whn I got licence

Hazard lights or not...it depends whether the driver behind wants to understand or not. I kana before in a condo visitor lot...wanna park n switch hazard light...the car behind was a z4 and he prevented me from reversing into the visitor lot and horned a few time. Told him to overtake my car from the right and the fella keep horning. I moved forward n he actually wanted to enter the underground carpark n the entrance was right after the visitors lot. My wife told me that the driver gave me the bird after that.....whole family was with me so i remained calm. A few days later the z4 was parked near the visitors lot and the driver was there. I stared at the fella and purposely brushed against his shoulder as i was passing him...the fella dont even dare to look at me siak!

• Praise 1

When gg into carpark... u use hazard light to signal your intention to stop before parking so that the car behind will not come too close.

U can use the hazard light if there's no available lot so that the car behind can overtake u

After that... u switch to left or right signal to tell pple which side u gonna park....

Right of way is given to the car gg straight... so u hv to wait until no car gg straight or some kind souls 'block' the way before u can commence parking... many idiots do not understand this.... die die attempt reverse or parallel parking and 'force' car behind to wait.....

(edited)

Hazard lights or not...it depends whether the driver behind wants to understand or not. I kana before in a condo visitor lot...wanna park n switch hazard light...the car behind was a z4 and he prevented me from reversing into the visitor lot and horned a few time. Told him to overtake my car from the right and the fella keep horning. I moved forward n he actually wanted to enter the underground carpark n the entrance was right after the visitors lot. My wife told me that the driver gave me the bird after that.....whole family was with me so i remained calm. A few days later the z4 was parked near the visitors lot and the driver was there. I stared at the fella and purposely brushed against his shoulder as i was passing him...the fella dont even dare to look at me siak!

Since the bugger refused to, and since u put up hazard lights, switched off the engine, put up boot and bonnet and pretend to call for SOS. [laugh] He asked, just say gear rosak. He can horn all day all night or better still asked him to push your car to one side.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

Put reverse light lor...

Supercharged
(edited)

Hazard light or left/right direction light, just indicate some form of intend to stop-park would suffice.

I often encounter vehicle driven by auntie/lady who does not indicate their intention to park at all. They brake abruptly and immediately shift to reverse.

The worst of the lot are the aunties with their ultra big suvs/merz/bmw. They don't keep to the side they wanna park, don't signal their intend and jam up the whole carpark.

Edited by Gizmore
  • Praise 2

Hazard light or left/right direction light, just indicate some form of intend to stop-park would suffice.

I often encounter vehicle driven by auntie/lady who does not indicate their intention to park at all. The brake abruptly and immediately shift to reverse.

The worst of the lot are the aunties with their ultra big suvs/merz/bmw. They don't keep to the side they wanna park, don't signal their intend and jam up the whole carpark.

This type deserves two flashes of high beam n a long horn

Z4 tua kee when driver in car, becomes suay kee when he met you outside his car [laugh]

• Praise 1

Put reverse light lor...

I oredy put my gear to reverse...but not sure if any lights light up anot! My car cheap car so no have rear fog light like what bri kangadrool say! But i know my hazard lights were on.

• Praise 1

When gg into carpark... u use hazard light to signal your intention to stop before parking so that the car behind will not come too close.

U can use the hazard light if there's no available lot so that the car behind can overtake u

After that... u switch to left or right signal to tell pple which side u gonna park....

Right of way is given to the car gg straight... so u hv to wait until no car gg straight or some kind souls 'block' the way before u can commence parking... many idiots do not understand this.... die die attempt reverse or parallel parking and 'force' car behind to wait.....

What if there is a long line of cars who have the right of way going straight?? One of those cars gonna horn and ask if you are taking the empty lot leh.

• Praise 2

Z4 tua kee when driver in car, becomes suay kee when he met you outside his car [laugh]

No lar...i think he gentleman wan...so dowan to create a scene! But i think he houses his mistress there!

6th Gear

Hazard light is telling the surrounding that this driver is changing his action so just beware.usually coming to a parking lot hazard light should be on even you waiting for a Lot.once you ve a lot, just off hazard n signal to the Lot you are turning in. Hazard is good when you are coming to a stop.when you are moving out,on hazard light to announce so to drive out slowly on all blind spots. Anyway there are drivers never like all this to save bty pwr!

• Praise 2

that's not what i was taught leh [confused]

my instructor put poles on the lot ....then reverse in [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

ya during the late 80's i was taught when parking only use your left /right to signal your intention, hazard lights only use when your vehicle is in an emercency situation and you need to WARN other drivers abt it. now i see ppl crusing down carpark looking for a slot with their hazard lights on!!!.....i guess it is okay to use the hazard light in the carpark when you are waiting for a lot and your vehicle has come to a complete stop, so as to warn those behind to overtake you.

however, what irritates me the most are buses, i dunno why the bus drivers need to switch on their right indicator lights when they are moving off from the bus stop and going STRAIGHT down to the bext stop. very difficult for vehicles behind to determine whats their intention. I was taught you only signal left/right when you need to lane change, when moving off in a straight line no need to signal just need to watch out for traffic will do which i believe is logical.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1