How do you signal your intention when parking in a lot?

How do you signal your intention when parking?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How do you signal your intention when parking in a lot?

• Use signal lights ONLY
    • Use hazard lights ONLY
    • Use BOTH signal AND hazard lights
    • What lights?

I had always practiced switching on hazard lights (in advance, before stopping), plus turning my car to an angle with rear facing into the empty slot before reversing.

I was told driving schools nowadays teach to signal with left or right turn signal and I see some cars do this. Wouldn't this sometimes cause confusion especially if the parking car is near to a turn junction in the carpark?

In this thread, i would like to first determine what is the correct procedures and then discuss which is better and safer. I remember my driving school (BBDC) taught to use hazard lights for parking 10 years ago. Can someone confirm this?

Another observation is that some cars (especially taxi) turn on their left or right signal when they were coming to a stop on the roadside. I am pretty sure it should be hazard lights in such case. Not sure if it is because one side of the light is faulty but this happens quite often.

turn on hazard lights and turn at an angle should be clear enough

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Some of them want to get rid of the MIL (permanently).... [rolleyes]

that is true in most cases [laugh] [laugh]

Turbocharged

some instructors taught blindly and some students follow their teaching blindly without understanding and then driving without situation awareness, even after passing also dunno how to use judgement... thats why there are so many accidents nowadays....haiz

found an article in the net from the which logical explains why signalling while moving off from stationary is situational and not a must ...http://www.approved-driving-instructor-training.co.uk/moving-off.php

" The Dangers and pitfalls

There are two main areas which catch out thousands of trainee instructors and learners alike - they are incorrect signaling and delaying too long to move after the observations are complete.

Signaling to move off should be extremely rare indeed. This cannot be stressed enough. Yet many ADI trainers still instruct trainees to apply a signal before even carrying out the correct observations. This is always, without question, a mistake. It will more than likely attract a driver error and could possible be elevated to a serious or dangerous error.

Consider this . . . you are waiting to move off, you signal to let oncoming traffic know that you intend to pull out . . . an oncoming driver from the rear, in your carriage way, considers your signal as an intention on your part to pull out into their path . . . they slow down due to the potential danger you present . . . or worse, swerve at the last second to avoid a possible collision if you do simply pull out . . .

What has happened is that you have become the hazard, forcing the other driver to run through the ms-psl routine to negotiate you.

If you have no intention of pulling out into the path of an oncoming vehicle, why signal at all? It is both completely pointless, and creates a potentially very dangerous situation.

The golden rule is never signal to move off if a moving vehicle is anywhere near and could be affected by your actions.

Clearly, if the traffic is queuing and almost at a standstill and it is impossible to cause any danger, then you may need to signal as a request to let you join the traffic.

The time to signal to move off, is if as a result of your all round observations, you see someone sat in a stationary vehicle who may also pull away, or you spot a pedestrian who would benefit from the signal, or some other circumstances arise where a signal would be of use.

If a moving vehicle is anywhere near, do not signal. Instead, wait until the moving vehicle has gone by, perform all round observations again, and then signal before moving off.

The second area of potential danger is in delaying between the observing and the moving phases. You can delay between preparing and observing as long as you like, but after you have completed your observations and seen that it is safe, you must move immediately, without any delay at all. This is absolutely vital. Why?

Well, if you look all round and it is safe, then delay 15 or 20 seconds before moving, how do you know if the circumstances haven't changed and it's now not safe to move any longer? A pedestrian may have appeared from a nearby building, a pedal cyclist may have just turned into your road, a motorcycle may be approaching fast . . . a lot can happen when you delay too long. The whole situation can change in a second or two

Therefore, you must, of necessity, move as soon as the observations are complete. If you have to delay, to apply a signal or to wait for another road user, then you must complete the full observation process again. If there is an oncoming vehicle that delay's your move off, you will find that you can time your observation phase so that you are ready to move as soon as the vehicle is gone. Practice makes perfect, so get plenty of it "

u think most people care, they drive like their grandfather owns the road, just signal n drive, simi si check blindspot or traffic around u? [laugh] [laugh]

What to do, mistress means he feels especially "horny". :D

Lucky the fella dont drive those trailers...he would have honked the neighbourhood awake! :blink:

Left or right signal to indicate the lot u gg for.

Dunno how the hazard light practice started but hazard means stop ...

This was taught to me in 1990 whn I got licence

Yup, indicate left/right should be the right way. I also don't know when did it evolves to hazard light. :D

Just BLOCK the road la hahhaha anyway you are going to park

jk

use hazard light is best common practice, make sure u r near to the lot that u going to take or the car coming out or else people snatch ur lot and kpkb

Hazard lights or not...it depends whether the driver behind wants to understand or not. I kana before in a condo visitor lot...wanna park n switch hazard light...the car behind was a z4 and he prevented me from reversing into the visitor lot and horned a few time. Told him to overtake my car from the right and the fella keep horning. I moved forward n he actually wanted to enter the underground carpark n the entrance was right after the visitors lot. My wife told me that the driver gave me the bird after that.....whole family was with me so i remained calm. A few days later the z4 was parked near the visitors lot and the driver was there. I stared at the fella and purposely brushed against his shoulder as i was passing him...the fella dont even dare to look at me siak!

U never give him a knuckle sandwich. [laugh]

But chk carefully first if he is our polar bear here. He also drive a Z4. [rolleyes]

If a moving vehicle is anywhere near, do not signal. Instead, wait until the moving vehicle has gone by, perform all round observations again, and then signal before moving off.

Means still must signal after car behind you has passed before moving off?

After that... u switch to left or right signal to tell pple which side u gonna park....

Right of way is given to the car gg straight... so u hv to wait until no car gg straight or some kind souls 'block' the way before u can commence parking... many idiots do not understand this.... die die attempt reverse or parallel parking and 'force' car behind to wait.....

i think sometimes is due to the narrow width which also prevent the behind vehicle to move forward..

Neutral Newbie

Hazard lights or not...it depends whether the driver behind wants to understand or not. I kana before in a condo visitor lot...wanna park n switch hazard light...the car behind was a z4 and he prevented me from reversing into the visitor lot and horned a few time. Told him to overtake my car from the right and the fella keep horning. I moved forward n he actually wanted to enter the underground carpark n the entrance was right after the visitors lot. My wife told me that the driver gave me the bird after that.....whole family was with me so i remained calm. A few days later the z4 was parked near the visitors lot and the driver was there. I stared at the fella and purposely brushed against his shoulder as i was passing him...the fella dont even dare to look at me siak!

You never use your car go brush his car

[:p]

Neutral Newbie

No lar...i think he gentleman wan...so dowan to create a scene! But i think he houses his mistress there!

Like wat the other bro say

Pretend car rosak

Ask him help push ur car.......

While u push his mistress

:wub:

Neutral Newbie

If u met with a goondu driver, simi lights also useless...

I kanna once in a car park. I hazard lights on, engage reverse and slowly reverse into lot. Suddenly hit something. I was driving a van loaded with goods. Hence I can't see thru the rear view mirror. I got checked side mirror before I gostan.

I ask the driver why he come so near me and when he saw me reversing, how come never horn me? He said he was shocked to do anything when he sees a van reversing. I think he better stay off road for safety of everyone. Simple thing like this can shock him into inaction. How to react to near miss situation on the road?

Impt is did u claim him for kissing ur arse??

:ph34r:

Neutral Newbie

Last time when my instructor needed to speak to me, she will ask me to slow down, signal left and pull over much like a bus picking up passenger from bus stop.

After speaking to me, she will tell me to signal right to warn others I'm moving off even if I was going straight.

U lucky boy, u got female instructor

Neutral Newbie

Nowadays the rules change Liao ..... With times

Open left door if parking left

Open right door if parking right

Door cfm bigger than light indicator

Sure can block sure can see

[laugh]

Turbocharged

Nowadays the rules change Liao ..... With times

Open left door if parking left

Open right door if parking right

Door cfm bigger than light indicator

Sure can block sure can see

[laugh]

and pop the trunk for reverse is it?

Twincharged

Means still must signal after car behind you has passed before moving off?

Yup. That is what I was taught. Check mirror and blindspot. If no cars, off hazard light, signal right and move off.

Twincharged

Since the bugger refused to, and since u put up hazard lights, switched off the engine, put up boot and bonnet and pretend to call for SOS. [laugh] He asked, just say gear rosak. He can horn all day all night or better still asked him to push your car to one side.

This i would do! [laugh]

Also can't stand ppl who cut into my lane and expect me to reverse for them or give way to them. I'll have a standoff with them and usually i'll win cos i'm quite patient at waiting for nothing

↡ Advertisement