How do you signal your intention when parking in a lot?

How do you signal your intention when parking?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How do you signal your intention when parking in a lot?

• Use signal lights ONLY
    • Use hazard lights ONLY
    • Use BOTH signal AND hazard lights
    • What lights?

Based on that hazard lights usage, let's see how many do the RIGHT or percieved RIGHT thing when parking.

Good to see what percentage of the MCFers here are ol skool or the new kayu school...hor @civic6228  :XD:

I old skool .... has always use the hazard lights when parking since I got my lay-sin.

But I am prepare to change and use signal lights if it is the right thing to do....

I think at least 90 percent of MCFers here use the hazard lights leh.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I've been using hazard lights for the longest time.  But the constant clicking sound irritates the hell out of me while parking.  Someone brought up a good point about using signal lights as it will auto shut off after straightening the car.  Will try it out from now on.

Pundek....how to put hazard & signal at same time?

sssh...trick question....hahahah

one after the other lah you fossil

Turbocharged

As I mention in the other thread... spot a lot, signal left/right towards it, then turn on hazards to tell people I'm parking... because they don't seem to understand signal only.

If you ask me if everyone understood the signal only I wouldn't use hazards. Use hazards only how to tell people which side you parking? Use arm again like old school? Install rear window LCD monitor saying LEFT/RIGHT??

Edit: Boss sure love his tags lol :a-fun:   :a-happy:

Edited by 7hm

Twincharged

I use signal lights only. Wonder how many will remember that is what we were taught in driving school? Even when waiting for the lot, its signal lights only. Towards the direction of the lot you are waiting for or parking in.

• Praise 2

Always been using Signal lights only.

Hazard lights should only be used when vehicle is stationary !

Nearly kenna knocked by cars with hazards lights on & suddenly reversing, just when I was about to overtake them in the car park!

• Praise 3

I use signal lights only. Wonder how many will remember that is what we were taught in driving school? Even when waiting for the lot, its signal lights only. Towards the direction of the lot you are waiting for or parking in.

exactly my point!  I still rem being taught this.  Same as @tamedriver in this aspect.

Hope this thread educates those who practise otherwise

Always been using Signal lights only.

Hazard lights should only be used when vehicle is stationary !

Nearly kenna knocked by cars with hazards lights on & suddenly reversing, just when I was about to overtake them in the car park!

this is a very good point for those who use hazards when parking.  You are supp to be stopping and thus if we see that, we may think you are stopping, but then you reverse.....

Then again, there are those who put hazards and are waiting.  

So, what are we supposed to do? to overtake or NOT to overtake?

Hope all now see the confusion

to me, the car in front parks whichever side he/she wishes... I just wait behind till parking maneuver complete. Then I take the next available lot (if any).

if the car is waiting for a lot and I am not, I wld expect the car to wait one side and let me pass.

personally, I think it's usually quite clear which side the empty lot is at. Can see the car exiting, and the new car usually stops at the same side

Turbocharged

exactly my point!  I still rem being taught this.  Same as @tamedriver in this aspect.

Hope this thread educates those who practise otherwise

Also remember it very clearly. And as such I would prefer to do only that if it wasn't apparently meaningless to the locals.

But then, I'm not in the "driven for 20 years" category  [bigcry]

Just went to check on my car signal & hazard lights.

Discovered that my signal light over rides the hazard lights when deployed!

Meaning....I can use hazard lights while waiting for an available lot. When I spot one, the hazard lights would disappear once I signal left/right to show my intention.

Edited by TameDriver

Just went to check on my car signal & hazard lights.

Discovered that my signal light over rides the hazard lights when deployed!

Meaning....I can use hazard lights while waiting for an available lot. Once, I spot one, the hazard lights would disappear once I signal left/right to show my intention.

same.  REalised this when im at a complete stop, like picking a person up and then when i signal my intention to join traffic, it overrides the hazards

to me, the car in front parks whichever side he/she wishes... I just wait behind till parking maneuver complete. Then I take the next available lot (if any).

if the car is waiting for a lot and I am not, I wld expect the car to wait one side and let me pass.

personally, I think it's usually quite clear which side the empty lot is at. Can see the car exiting, and the new car usually stops at the same side

Your thinking is very 'gentlemanly' but not always the case.

Encountered a few times when a newly arrived car just zoomed into the lot I was reversing into ! After that, the drivers would walk away slowly, looking back to dare me to do anything to his car!

Also watchout for for those who weren't waiting on the correct side.

• Praise 1

this is a very good point for those who use hazards when parking.  You are supp to be stopping and thus if we see that, we may think you are stopping, but then you reverse.....

Then again, there are those who put hazards and are waiting.  

So, what are we supposed to do? to overtake or NOT to overtake?

Hope all now see the confusion

reverse lights not working?  If I were to come across a car stopped on the side and I intend to overtake, I would be approaching it from the clear "lane" anyway, not crawling up its ass and suddenly swerve to next lane.

for those cars with hazard lights on in carpark:

if there is an empty lot and the car is moving/reversing towards it, assume it is parking

if there is an empty lot and the car is not moving/reversing towards it, assume it is not parking

if there is no empty lot, assume the car is waiting for a lot, unless it is near a lobby/driveway

SG so stressful. Should we next use traffic cones to indicate which lot we wanna chope? (like using tissue paper to chope seats in food court LOL)

Your thinking is very 'gentlemanly' but not always the case.

Encountered a few times when a newly arrived car just zoomed into the lot I was reversing into ! After that, the drivers would walk away slowly, looking back to dare me to do anything to his car!

ouch... but I doubt using signal lights wld stop such anti-social behavior.

now with in-car cam, can use the rear cam to record the lot-hijacker and shame him/her LOL

• Praise 1

Please teach me how I can use both signal and hazard :secret-laugh:

[laugh] [laugh]

Easy. Signal you flip, flip, flip with your finger. Hazard you push, push, push with your finger. You should know how to flip and push..if not go Jason there are ton of video down. Edited by Kopites
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1