How do you signal your intention when parking in a lot?

How do you signal your intention when parking?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How do you signal your intention when parking in a lot?

• Use signal lights ONLY
    • Use hazard lights ONLY
    • Use BOTH signal AND hazard lights
    • What lights?

reverse lights not working?  If I were to come across a car stopped on the side and I intend to overtake, I would be approaching it from the clear "lane" anyway, not crawling up its ass and suddenly swerve to next lane.

for those cars with hazard lights on in carpark:

if there is an empty lot and the car is moving/reversing towards it, assume it is parking

if there is an empty lot and the car is not moving/reversing towards it, assume it is not parking

if there is no empty lot, assume the car is waiting for a lot, unless it is near a lobby/driveway

SG so stressful. Should we next use traffic cones to indicate which lot we wanna chope? (like using tissue paper to chope seats in food court LOL)

well, we have seen those too...and putting their kids to chope lots....

aiyah we can talk till the cows come home lah, common sense prevails and never assume what the other party is doind

↡ Advertisement

i think there will be certain situations where a signal will actually confuse a car behind..  

esp those parallel parking ones where the is a turn less than 3metres in front.. 

actually for that matter... would you signal left from small road merging to main road or signal right for on coming traffic to see your intention? two schools of thought.. both make sense to me

to me, the larger issues abt carpark etiquette:

1) cars stopping (for whatever reason) in the middle of a wide lane, preventing other cars from overtaking.

2) drivers returning to their cars in a crowded carpark but taking their own sweet time to exit the lot. They chk radio, set GPS, on aircon, chk hair, drink water etc, oblivious to another car waiting for the lot to be vacated.

• Praise 2

1) cars stopping (for whatever reason) in the middle of a wide lane, preventing other cars from overtaking.

2) drivers returning to their cars in a crowded carpark but taking their own sweet time to exit the lot. They chk radio, set GPS, on aircon, chk hair, drink water etc, oblivious to another car waiting for the lot to be vacated.

eh start you own thread on this lah......and yes another anti-social issue, esp the 2nd one

• Praise 2

Please teach me how I can use both signal and hazard :secret-laugh:

[laugh] [laugh]

I voted for this option. 

For me, I think the best option is to use any methods that can park safely without causing any harm/inconveniences to other and pedestrians. 

What I usually is to apply hazard lights first, then before choosing a lot, I will signal with the signal lights, depending on whether the empty lot is on my right or the left. 

Hope this clarifies. 

• Praise 2

Normally i open my window, throw a tissue packet to which lot i want to park

Wa, this option is good [thumbsup] . Next time i need tissue, i PM you hahaha. After you throw your tissue packet, i go and collect and pass it to you hahaaha. 

• Praise 2

Based on that hazard lights usage, let's see how many do the RIGHT or percieved RIGHT thing when parking.

Good to see what percentage of the MCFers here are ol skool or the new kayu school...hor @civic6228  :XD:

It all depends. You have experience before those drivers who drive so close to you in a car park? And have you experienced before there is a turning (right or left) just in front of you but before a lot that you wanted to park?

I used hazard lights to tell the drivers behind I am stopping and once stopped, I will use signal light to tell them which lot I want. Especially in our environment, we reverse park. Imagine someone drive so close to you and you want to reverse park. I will hazard light to tell them to overtake me cuz it is not nice for people to wait for you to park. But if there is no space, I will signal my intention (hopefully, those people will understand) and quickly reverse in. You all should know some smelly drivers will purposely drive very close to you and force you out of take the lots.

• Praise 2

And when these two combined together, i will wait more than 5 mins behind car number 1
  • Praise 1

I voted for this option.

For me, I think the best option is to use any methods that can park safely without causing any harm/inconveniences to other and pedestrians.

What I usually is to apply hazard lights first, then before choosing a lot, I will signal with the signal lights, depending on whether the empty lot is on my right or the left.

Hope this clarifies.

I follow this too

If I spot an empty lot and there's a car following behind, I will on hazard light so that the driver behind can slow down coz he knows I am about to stop and park

Some car Parks where you park and wait for either side lots, I will park with hazard lights on, if there's an lot becoming available on the opposite side, I will signal to either the right/left, telling the driver behind that I am going to park into that lot

i do whatever it takes to get into my lot

could be all of the options or none of the options

:D

U so heavy weight, no one dares to snatch your lot [:p][laugh] Edited by Pinobii
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

If I am waiting for a car on the left to leave before taking the lot , I will signal left . 

If the car is on the right , I will signal right . 

If I am moving along a carpark and I see an empty lot which I intend to do reverse parking , and there is a car following behind , I will speed up a bit to open a gap , turn on my hazard lights , then quickly back into the parking lot .

Sometimes I use signal lights , sometime I use hazard lights . 

• Praise 2

Of cos the 'correct' way is to use signal lights but if put on signal indicator while parking and turning the steering wheels, the signal indicator may go back to default, then ur signal light disappear pp behind may think u yaya papaya anyhow stop n reverse in lot..

So I use hazard light, this is also the driving culture in spore instead of bugging on the issue of 'correct' way of signaling into a lot..

I always use Reverse light.  How come survey cannot choose Reverse Light???

eh captain obvious......duh! :a-t2622:

If I enter into a carpark with a queue behind my car and spot an empty lot ON the left side, my habit is shift to my car to the left and on left signal to indicate I am taking this lot and wait till No car behind then I park in. If the empty lot is On the right side, I will ON my right signal to indicate the cars queuing behind me I am taking the right side lot.

If there's NO queue behind my car and I spot a lot immediately when I am driving, I will just proceed and hazard light ON and reverse park into the lot.

If I enter a carpark and there's no available lot, then I will On hazard light and wait on the extreme left. If spotted any lot i Will use left right signal to indicate the lot i am going to park.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3