Singapore dropping F1..... tips welcome formula E

D3badge

Please dun use emoji in the thread title, especially from i-devices cos it will only appear as some funny symbols. 

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

The money could have been put to better use building our own motorsports/events facility to allow the grassroots to flourish and also provide an alternative venue for things like concerts and festivals.

Gahment already botched that once, doubt they'll try again.

organise japanese car race with the soup up GTR, Evo, WRX, Type R and most most most importantly Japanese showgirls !!!

This one I also support! Maybe can have Singapore drivers too... Paging @sp4wn

And maybe have a special section to let all Singapore ricers in too! Lancerlutions, Fake WRXes, 1.6 "Type R"s... So once crash, less of these on our roads, haha...

• Praise 1

Malaysia also dropping F1, double whammy ......

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/malaysia-to-drop-f1-from-2018-tourism-minister-confirms/3306876.html

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia will no longer host the Formula One Grand Prix race in Sepang, it was announced on Monday (Nov 21).

According to the Malay Mail Online, Tourism and Culture Minister Nazri Abdul Aziz confirmed that the race will no longer be hosted after the current agreement expires in 2018.

“The current agreement is from 2016 to 2018. So once that ends, there will be no more (F1 in Malaysia),” Nazri told members of the media at parliament, the Malay Mail Online reported.

“F1 attendance is dropping and there is less attraction now. We are spending RM 300 million (US$67 million) a year (for the race),” he added.

More to follow.

- CNA/nc

• Praise 2

hearsay malaysia also giving up

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/malaysia-will-not-extend-f1-deal-says-minister-852486/

RadX is now confirm

I think many people are now bored of the F1 night race here. There's only so many times you can see MBS and Flyer before the novelty wears off. The race itself has never really been that exciting either.

I've always thought Formula E would be much suited for our street circuit, but given our Govt's stance on EVs I highly doubt it will happen.

My intel gather formula is coming to Singapore

Actually Adrian got it on the head.

It's the danger and excitement of Motorsport racing.

When it is so safe, it's boring.

The most exciting F1 event for me was the dude sauntering across the racetrack.

Still, major trauma and burn injuries are nothing to joke about. It's the security to make the viewers safe that markedly reduces interest.

The exclusivity of the event is not good at all. It's the admiration factor that generates the publicity and interest.

It's like the pretty pretty 944 turbos rusting away versus the C63 all glammed up.

Anyway, the tuner races is also about danger and possibility of major crashes. Gladiatorial in nature. Ya?

I would suggest e scooter races and live coverage of major crashes and Slomo depiction of injuries if I have no part in treating these injuries.

Participants could be those arrested for illegal use and S pools could underwrite the races.

Drone racing is boring as it does not appeal to the visceral thrill from primal stimulation. No one gets hurt.

F1 should be easily accessible, danger of crashing into the crowd should be real and car crashes often. Not so good right?

How do you FEEL when you watch the following? A great F1 champion, and overall charming guy.

F1 has run its course. It established Sg to international eyes as the new pearl of the orient. The nightlife of MBS and our cbd is now as memorable as the view from HK Harbour.

It's done what it was supposed to do and cost us money. Like what people say, F1 is for the rich.

• Praise 1

I once sat thru a race in Shanghai, short of the loud noise, I almost fell asleep and I was in the grand stand.

This is the first and last time. Never really comprehend the hype.

Formula E is also declining. Look at the number of cities took part in the first season and now. Those that hosted Formula E, never returned for next season. [laugh]

Anyone watched Macau GP yesterday? They are into their 63rd!!! Lots of crashes and wheel banging. I watched from 10am till 4.30pm!!! The R8 that flipped and skided across the track on its roof was the best crash ever yesterday. The driver walked away from that major accident. Now thatz what we want here in SG!!!

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/driver-flips-in-brutal-high-speed-crash-and-wins-race-s-1789189135

Call me sua ku. I never heae of simi lan formula e till i read mcf..... haha.

Name like report card e for almost fail

F1 has run its course. It established Sg to international eyes as the new pearl of the orient. The nightlife of MBS and our cbd is now as memorable as the view from HK Harbour.

It's done what it was supposed to do and cost us money. Like what people say, F1 is for the rich.

Agreed, for the atas folks and ang mohs mainly. For the amount that they are spending for just one weekend, locals who are going for the post-race party stuff can literally go crazy at our clubbing joints. 

I think this Bernie just action only try to corner Singapore into signing a new deal quickly. Whilst he is a shrewd businessman, he will meet his match in our negotiators who now no longer are so hard up of F1 as when we first bid for it. So it has to be fair terms or no deal. Can't be Bernie increasing his fees in dwindling attendance n poor economy environment can it?

• Praise 8

Wow, rumour or facts, the news said it cause tax payer money 63 million just to hold the race.

I think they did not add in the economical losses due to reduced human traffic at our malls.

I don't go there 3 weeks before and 1 week after race lor, so many  signboards and diversions lor .....

• Praise 1

the returns only benefited a very niche business and small groups

years after years ... the retail and F&B already given feedbacck that F1 did not drive their business upward ... may be a little spike and only to selected group

Wow, rumour or facts, the news said it cause tax payer money 63 million just to hold the race.

I think they did not add in the economical losses due to reduced human traffic at our malls.

I don't go there 3 weeks before and 1 week after race lor, so many signboards and diversions lor .....

↡ Advertisement