New car recommendations

Wind30

Hi everyone,

Thought I'll tag on if its okay.

Basically I'm looking for a B&B car with the following priorities:

1. Reliability

2. Space (planing for 2-3 kids)

3.Cost

Will probably be using it for 10 years, if it holds up. Will probably need it by April so hopefully can benefit from COE price drop by CNY. Did some looking around and realized theres a huge range of cars:

- Korean (K3, Elantra - generally cheapest but have concerns about reliability and FC)

- Conti (Opel Astra, Ford Focus - decently cheap and best FC tho Astra's cost is deceptive low due to CEVS rebate. Main issue would be cost of maintenance after warranty ends - being held hostage by AD)

- Japanese (1.6 Civic, Mazda 3 - Most expensive, great reliability, average FC. Issue with Mazda would be space and cost of maintenance while I'm not sure if I'm prepared to pay the premium for Civic even tho it seems really great.

where possible, would prefer to not have keyless start as I read that its a matter of time before it breaks down and the repair cost is insane. Am generally okay with basic electronics to keep maintenance cost low.

Realised corolla altis is not on yr list. Any reason? It fits the 3 points u mentioned. It has keyless entry though... only on driver side door (i wanted both front driver and passenger side actually). Edited by Inspiring1804

Hi everyone,

Thought I'll tag on if its okay.

Basically I'm looking for a B&B car with the following priorities:

1. Reliability

2. Space (planing for 2-3 kids)

3.Cost

Will probably be using it for 10 years, if it holds up. Will probably need it by April so hopefully can benefit from COE price drop by CNY. Did some looking around and realized theres a huge range of cars:

- Korean (K3, Elantra - generally cheapest but have concerns about reliability and FC)

- Conti (Opel Astra, Ford Focus - decently cheap and best FC tho Astra's cost is deceptive low due to CEVS rebate. Main issue would be  cost of maintenance after warranty ends - being held hostage by AD)

- Japanese (1.6 Civic, Mazda 3 - Most expensive, great reliability, average FC. Issue with Mazda would be space and cost of maintenance while I'm not sure if I'm prepared to pay the premium for Civic even tho it seems really great.

where possible, would prefer to not have keyless start as I read that its a matter of time before it breaks down and the repair cost is insane. Am generally okay with basic electronics to keep maintenance cost low.

same pattern as TS...

my guess is you end up either with audi or bmw...

good luck... 

• Praise 2

Looks like you want something reliable. So get a Jap or Korean car sure won't go wrong.

+1

Corolla or Elantra. Sienta for space but Indonesia build so so. Likewise for civic. Built like a lego. Don't go see the Opel. You may love it's interior and safety that you forgot your first objectives.

Otherwise the 1.4t is solid value. Resale, servicing etc maybe hard to estimate though.

• Praise 1

same pattern as TS...

my guess is you end up either with audi or bmw...

good luck... 

Dont think so lah.

He wants a car without keyless start. Which audi or bmw still using a key to start? Also he wants less electrics, difficult to find a car still using hand to wind the windows up and down.

• Praise 3

+1

Corolla or Elantra. Sienta for space but Indonesia build so so. Likewise for civic. Built like a lego. Don't go see the Opel. You may love it's interior and safety that you forgot your first objectives.

Otherwise the 1.4t is solid value. Resale, servicing etc maybe hard to estimate though.

CCB, you just hit my nerve. Spell exactly what happen to me.  <_<  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Dont think so lah.

He wants a car without keyless start. Which audi or bmw still using a key to start? Also he wants less electrics, difficult to find a car still using hand to wind the windows up and down.

this part laugh me die.   [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Dont think so lah.

Dont think so lah.

Less electronics?

Forget keyless - you can hardly find any car which allows you to open the door with a key.. most rely on a remote fob.

Anyway not everyone goes Conti la..

Some go Korean right? Like Opel or Chevrolet..

Dont think so lah.

Toyota new prius .

post-162710-0-40133000-1485160840_thumb.png

• Praise 1

Less electronics?

Forget keyless - you can hardly find any car which allows you to open the door with a key.. most rely on a remote fob.

Anyway not everyone goes Conti la..

Some go Korean right? Like Opel or Chevrolet..

Opel not German car meh?

Chevy is American hor.

Based on your priorities, first car came in m mind is toyota Sienta.

A note on Opel Astra. You should see the print on their ads - German Engineered.

Meaning, the design is by the German but not the manufacturing. It is actually made in Korea.

for those who has reservation on the Korean made car.

So it's no longer made in Poland?

I think the 1.4 is made in UK, so the current Opel can either be Korean or Brit..

- Conti (Opel Astra, Ford Focus - decently cheap and best FC tho Astra's cost is deceptive low due to CEVS rebate. Main issue would be  cost of maintenance after warranty ends - being held hostage by AD)

1- The Opel Astra 1.4 has 5k CEVS only, and you get a Cat B COE. 

Do not be fooled by the Ford Focus 1.0T's specs. Very few people get anywhere close to that figure.

Keyless start? Well that depends on the car you choose. For example the Merc version allows you to remove the button, and stick the key into the keyhole. No worries.

Realised corolla altis is not on yr list. Any reason? It fits the 3 points u mentioned. It has keyless entry though... only on driver side door (i wanted both front driver and passenger side actually).

He mentioned he wanted something nicer looking before he get old.

Getting a altis will instantly make he feel old

So it's no longer made in Poland?

I think the 1.4 is made in UK, so the current Opel can either be Korean or Brit..

Sorry. Mokka is from Korea. Astra, I assumed is also from Korea.

He mentioned he wanted something nicer looking before he get old.

Getting a altis will instantly make he feel old

Then, an Audi A3 display car at 119k might do the trick.. 

Sleek, solid feel, powerful and a nice ride..

Park a bit of money on the side, in case the gearbox gives some trouble and you are good to go..

Then, an Audi A3 display car at 119k might do the trick..

Sleek, solid feel, powerful and a nice ride..

Park a bit of money on the side, in case the gearbox gives some trouble and you are good to go..

I get a Q30 somemore diesel car, look stylo too
↡ Advertisement