KIA Stinger GT

Jzachlee

If one come from a comfort based, albeit floaty suspension, then they will need more time to adjust to the stiffer suspension in the Stinger.. over bumpy road or some carparks ramp, it shows alot.

I keep wondering if the 3.3L is better in this respect with its selectable dampers. I asked this question a few pages back. Anyone with back-to-back experience to share?

↡ Advertisement

I keep wondering if the 3.3L is better in this respect with its selectable dampers. I asked this question a few pages back. Anyone with back-to-back experience to share?

Couldn't tell the diff between the test drives since there weren't bumpy roads at the long Leng Kee stretch, hope others can help you out with this  [:)]

Couldn't tell the diff between the test drives since there weren't bumpy roads at the long Leng Kee stretch, hope others can help you out with this [:)]

Thanks! You have been really helpful and responsive, kudos!

Yes its difficult to tell on a short test drive. I am quite particular about ride comfort. My current W212, I can't tahan the firmer AVG suspension and swapped out to the much more acceptable Elegance springs and dampers. Everyone say I siao. Where got people mod car switch from firm suspension to soft one. But that's me.

I attach again the review from UK Car mag.

post-2139-0-81573100-1538113677_thumb.png

Edited by Toeknee_33

Thanks! You have been really helpful and responsive, kudos!

Yes its difficult to tell on a short test drive. I am quite particular about ride comfort. My current W212, I can't tahan the firmer AVG suspension and swapped out to the much more acceptable Elegance springs and dampers. Everyone say I siao. Where got people mod car switch from firm suspension to soft one.

I attach again the review from UK Car mag.

No problem. Sharing is caring  [laugh]

That said, the stiffer suspension in the Stinger 2.0T is not something unbearable. Just that when I drive another car & back to the Stinger, that's like the first thing I notice again  <_<

My dad had the W212 E250.. the suspension v comfy.

I dunno.. but when I test drove the 3.3 GT I found it comfortable.

Even as a passenger in my friend's M3, I find only to be firm.

Harsh is when I sat in an EG6 with Taiwan coilovers... Machiam go-kart feel

Can't say Skoda is more attractive branding wise since it's basically a cut price version of VW. Then again Stinger doesn't have much branding pull. It's desirability is instead derived from the design and its value for money performance.

Then again some people are more into branding.. some not really. Its not an issue if you don't focus on it.

Different folks different strokes. End of d day ownself happy can already.

• Praise 1

I dunno.. but when I test drove the 3.3 GT I found it comfortable.

Even as a passenger in my friend's M3, I find only to be firm.

Harsh is when I sat in an EG6 with Taiwan coilovers... Machiam go-kart feel ð

Siao liao, I got an overly thin backside and an overly big tummy.

The ride is subjective to individual definition of comfort or harsh.

My experience with the 3.3 GT ride is that it is not anywhere plush where you feel isolation from the road. However the insulation from external noise especially from ambient noise is pretty isolated as the 3.3 GT comes with accoustic glass in the front. Same for windscreen on GT Line and GT as they do come with double pane due to HUD being standard.

The adaptive damper prioritizes control over comfort and do take note the initial first 10mins of the initial drive of the day the suspension is caliberated towards handling and will only settle down after the define period. Meaning after a short drive you will realise the ride becomes more flowy rather than feeling the bunps on the road. The initial ride is not jarring or anywhere near but you do feel the bumps more jntially.

The Stinger is car that is design and engineered to give you more road feel from the chassis and steering than most. If isolation and comfort is what you are looking at you will be disappointed but if you looking for a car that has more engagement and steering feel chances you will not be disappointed yet comes with “enthusiasts” comfort ride. Something that you constantly feel there is control and communication. Suspension is shorter stroke but have pretty good damping characteristic.

Hope it helps.

• Praise 1

The ride is subjective to individual definition of comfort or harsh.

My experience with the 3.3 GT ride is that it is not anywhere plush where you feel isolation from the road. However the insulation from external noise especially from ambient noise is pretty isolated as the 3.3 GT comes with accoustic glass in the front. Same for windscreen on GT Line and GT as they do come with double pane due to HUD being standard.

The adaptive damper prioritizes control over comfort and do take note the initial first 10mins of the initial drive of the day the suspension is caliberated towards handling and will only settle down after the define period. Meaning after a short drive you will realise the ride becomes more flowy rather than feeling the bunps on the road. The initial ride is not jarring or anywhere near but you do feel the bumps more jntially.

The Stinger is car that is design and engineered to give you more road feel from the chassis and steering than most. If isolation and comfort is what you are looking at you will be disappointed but if you looking for a car that has more engagement and steering feel chances you will not be disappointed yet comes with “enthusiasts” comfort ride. Something that you constantly feel there is control and communication. Suspension is shorter stroke but have pretty good damping characteristic.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It is interesting that the adaptive dampers take 10 minutes to calibrate. I would have thought that they react instantly to changing loads on the suspension system from road surfaces, cornering loads and dive/squat. I reckon you are talking about using the car in "Smart" drive mode which switches between Eco, Comfort, Sports and Sports+ automatically depending on driving conditions.

I believe you can choose to keep the car locked in either of the modes, or customize the engine/gearbox/ steering/suspension settings individually if you like?

Yes I would like to have a little more feel in my next car, but still have an acceptable level of ride comfort. I envisage I will be in "comfort' mode most of the time, in my daily commutes, but switch to "sports" sometimes to tackle more interesting roads. A good benchmark would be the Alfa Giulia Super - I find the ride quite acceptable, yet feel very connected to the road.

Edited by Toeknee_33

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It is interesting that the adaptive dampers take 10 minutes to calibrate. I would have thought that they react instantly to changing loads on the suspension system from road surfaces, cornering loads and dive/squat. I reckon you are talking about using the car in "Smart" drive mode which switches between Eco, Comfort, Sports and Sports+ automatically depending on driving conditions.

I believe you can choose to keep the car locked in either of the modes, or customize the engine/gearbox/ steering/suspension settings individually if you like?

Yes I would like to have a little more feel in my next car, but still have an acceptable level of ride comfort. I envisage I will be in "comfort' mode most of the time, in my daily commutes, but switch to "sports" sometimes to tackle more interesting roads. A good benchmark would be the Alfa Giulia Super - I find the ride quite acceptable, yet feel very connected to the road.

The adaptive dampers do not react immediately eapecially when first moving off that is also similar to Bimmer dynamic dampers. They do need some perimeter and time to go into full swing. Once it starts adapting it works continuosly base on the readings from the sensors. As mention once pass the initial driving time or distance from my limited engineering knowledge it starts working and constantly changes. This is basing on comfort mode. Once you select Sports or Sports Plus from the drive mode selector pike all makers it is fix and does not adapt.

Giulia is a highly rated too and I believe as long as legroom and electronics are not a concern it is a very tempting option too. I believe this model will bring satisfaction to many enthusiasts but do need slightly more attention imho. The Veloce is a good middle ground and looks awesome and have a nice stance.

VRS245 is like $20-30K cheaper than the Stinger 2.0 GT Line.. gotta say the VRS245 is really good value.

Bro are you getting one? For helper to do marketing is it? :grin:

Haha. My Mito is coming up to its last year. Looking to replace. Prefer a manual but open to options. Don't need something massively powered for my third car. 245 can tahan. :D Edited by Turboflat4

Couldn't tell the diff between the test drives since there weren't bumpy roads at the long Leng Kee stretch, hope others can help you out with this [:)]

Should've asked your SE to take you to Jervois road. Some bumpy areas there, perfect for testing pliancy of ride. But a lot of SEs are warned off that area as they're worried about complaints from 'atas' residents and there's a school zone there.

My Mac SE takes me there to test the hydraulic suspension. :D

• Praise 1

Should've asked your SE to take you to Jervois road. Some bumpy areas there, perfect for testing pliancy of ride. But a lot of SEs are warned off that area as they're worried about complaints from 'atas' residents and there's a school zone there.

Mac.. means different thing for you and me. I think of french fries.

McClaren.. this type of cars are what dreams are made of.. too atas for peasants like me. Happy for you man  :D

I test drove both the 3.3 Stinger GT and the Giulia Veloce at Jervois.

So many humps

↡ Advertisement