KIA Stinger GT

Jzachlee

10/10 will buy if budget allows!

Hope it'll be in the 130-140kSGD range for the 2.0T model.

Went to KIA showroom and understand it might be launched for sale this January during the motor show! 2.0T and 3.3T versions.

Same same... I surely cannot afford..
↡ Advertisement

Went to KIA showroom and understand it might be launched for sale this January during the motor show! 2.0T and 3.3T versions.

Impossible. It's too cheap at 140k

If priced close to c180 I will bite

The problem with coming in next year is that it will be subject to the new VES.

So even if you assume it's priced the same as Sorento (which is the case in UK and Australia), you would need to tag on $20k on the current Sorento price of $145k assuming similar OMV and AD margin.

Then again, most competitors will face the same issue so the comps set will be adjusted as well, I suppose.

Edited by Fungyee77

Impossible. It's too cheap at 140k

If priced close to c180 I will bite

I hear say the price is below 150k  when it'll be here from one of the salesperson at Kia. Not Sure how true.

Then I did some homework. Benchmarking to Australia KIA prices where the Stinger have already been launched launched. It's priced similar or lower to that of a Sorento(GT Line).

Guess we should all wait for it!

The problem with coming in next year is that it will be subject to the new VES.

So even if you assume it's priced the same as Sorento (which is the case in UK and Australia), you would need to tag on $20k on the current Sorento price of $145k assuming similar OMV and AD margin.

Then again, most competitors will face the same issue so the comps set will be adjusted as well, I suppose.

It will be a totally different market next year if the VES really adds $10-20K to the car price...

Edited by teomingern

It will be a totally different market next year if the VES really adds $10-20K to the car price...

and henceforth it has always been my opinion to have it equpt like a poverty specs and let the buyer specs up the car when it arrived. Something like the rims and tires, if u just rubbish it with with a K5 taxi has would be fine. Non Sunroof seems a tad odd in view of the conti for Passat 1.8 T going for 155K after bargaining. Volvo T5 2.0 going at 160K for R design.

The buyer just has to top up and add on stuff like windows tint and rims which maybe 18 or 19 inch rims locally. 

In fact, in the early years, the A3 1.8 T was going for 94K to clear the stocks with 17inch rims and Alcantara seats, in short, non leather seats.

To gain market share and acceptance, only way to get the cars to the buyers is only if KIA gave some kind of factory prices for the first 50 units . Really special and local CnC commit to give the buys a refreshing buying experience and not muck around and bump up the margin .

But then the wild card has always being the same, who are the buyers that you are trying to attract. Is it the retirees, the one that looking for value for money, the rich tai tais buying for their toy boys or the poor guys who can only afford a entry level 218 and was seduced to buy a KIA because of the great functional and bang for the dollar ?

Edited by Sdf4786k

the poor guys who can only afford a entry level 218 and was seduced to buy a KIA because of the great functional and bang for the dollar ?

I don't think you will have many buyers cross shopping a 218 with a Stinger.

I think the key target buyers for the Stinger are:-

(A) performance enthusiasts looking for value (340/S4 performance for 318/A4 pricing)

(B) buyers with a A4/318 budget and are more focused on maximizing the car for the money than on badge

© WRX, Civic Type R, Golf R buyers looking for a more practical alternative

(D) Existing Kia owners upgraders

Apparently in Australia, most of the preorders are for the 3.3L version and 2/3 of the conquest buyers are stepping out of Euro brands.

Frankly, you have a point - $140-180k is not cheap and badge is a big consideration for many buyers when they are shelling out this kind of money. But the value proposition appears to be pretty compelling as well.

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/1709/commodore-falcon-owners-showing-‘restrained-interest’-in-kia-stinger

Edited by Fungyee77

I don't think you will have many buyers cross shopping a 218 with a Stinger.

I think the key target buyers for the Stinger are:-

(A) performance enthusiasts looking for value (340/S4 performance for 318/A4 pricing)

(B) buyers with a A4/318 budget and are more focused on maximizing the car for the money than on badge

© WRX, Civic Type R, Golf R buyers looking for a more practical alternative

(D) Existing Kia owners upgraders

Apparently in Australia, most of the preorders are for the 3.3L version and 2/3 of the conquest buyers are stepping out of Euro brands.

Frankly, you have a point - $140-180k is not cheap and badge is a big consideration for many buyers when they are shelling out this kind of money. But the value proposition appears to be pretty compelling as well.

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/1709/commodore-falcon-owners-showing-ârestrained-interestâ-in-kia-stinger

I'm actually interested to know about the performance figures of the 2L.

And whether it will still come with bonnet vents, quad exhaust and brembo brakes.

I'm actually interested to know about the performance figures of the 2L.

And whether it will still come with bonnet vents, quad exhaust and brembo brakes.

Key performance figures 245hp/353Nm, with 6.0s for the century sprint.

In Australia, only the V6 gets there brembo brakes. Suspect the aesthetics (bonnet vents, quad exhaust) are the same but not sure.

Australia specs below.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/585254/2018-kia-stinger-pricing-and-specs/?source=carousel&slot=0

• Praise 2

Key performance figures 245hp/353Nm, with 6.0s for the century sprint.

In Australia, only the V6 gets there brembo brakes. Suspect the aesthetics (bonnet vents, quad exhaust) are the same but not sure.

Australia specs below.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/585254/2018-kia-stinger-pricing-and-specs/?source=carousel&slot=0

Specs do not seem to be inpressive..but i like the look
  • Praise 1

Yes and no.

Yes in the sense that power/torque figures are Forester XT-ish and there are hot hatches with better performance than the 2.0 - that's why I would prefer the 3.3 to the 2.0.

No in that there is no real comp ie you need to step up to A4 2.0 ($220-230k) for similar performance in a smaller sedan. WRX, Focus RS, Civic Type R are small hatches, so different kettle of fish.

Not impressive? Pretty hot already for a 2.0 turbo... there's nothing close to this for a sports sedan... you're probably going to pay $50,000 more for any other sports sedan with figures somewhat like these... this is a real dedicated GT, not some sticker or badge stuck behind a mainstream hatch or sedan with uprated specs... Edited by teomingern
  • Praise 2

Not impressive? Pretty hot already for a 2.0 turbo... there's nothing close to this for a sports sedan... you're probably going to pay $50,000 more for any other sports sedan with figures somewhat like these... this is a real dedicated GT, not some sticker or badge stuck behind a mainstream hatch or sedan with uprated specs...

ok.. i go with your arugment that price wise, it has to be hard to beat with a IS200 or a Infinty with its drive by wire steering.

What is the Stinger key functionality that will beat these two variant ?

Any when come to selling on the resale market, what will the owners be looking at ?

If you were to look at cars like Opel and Skoda before that, you will know that these cars will be like selling a 3 legged horse.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1