Your car buying decision process

Tianmo

i was just thinking, instead of  every now and then we see ppl asking this car or that car, why not we have a place to share all our buying decision process. Everyone has a different buying process, depending on priority. So share share here what is yours.

in fact its quite funny to see ppl copy and paste technical information, when sgcarmart has a function where we can compare 3-4 cars side by side. It even has a green tick to indicate which car has the best feature in that comparison.

I think a compile thread of a buying process may help some who have no idea what they want. But they want to buy.

What i use:

want/need recognition

I want to change car/I need to change car.

deadline.

My budget (fix range), any price below or above is out.

type of car

New or used

Information collection

searching the internal for information related to the range identified from step 1

short list 

Evaluation

test drive

feel the car

features and requirements.

final short list

Finally, negotiate and BUY the one you like most!

from 1000cc to 3500cc, from new cars to 9 yr old cars, there are at least a few hundred models to choose from. $90000 cash can buy you a brand new PRC made car in full cash, it can also buy you a used big conti car with a loan. Not to mention the inbetweens.

So have a buying process, it can help you save alot of time and headache. [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

**edited for length*

Evaluation

test drive

feel the car

final short list

My process, well no need to bother you guys with it since it is unique to me but just want to rant:

TEST DRIVE.

Due to buyers not demanding a proper test drive and sellers getting away with it as a 'industry norm'. SG buyers really have slim chance of a proper test drive. For such a big purchase, dealers are expecting a simple near straight line drive from leng kee to commonwealth MRT, U turn and back to leng kee as a test drive??!?

Yes I know, price of car/taxes makes it not feasible for longer test drives esp at mass market showrooms etc etc. Just want to rant.

• Praise 2

For me, I asked my colleague to recommend. He said Car A good and reliable, so I went to car dealer and test drove Car A . . . wah no bad . . okay buy Car A. 

So simple!  [laugh]  . . . unker Simon say one.

• Praise 2

1. Find out what cars are available in the budget I am comfortable with.

2. Read up on reviews on those cars online to understand more.

3. Drop by the showrooms for those I haven't eliminated in #2.

4. Find out about the whole package, test drive, see if have the emotional urge to buy the car. Some car(s) will "speak" to you, some doesn't move you at all.

5. Buy the car.

Personally, I only buy new car so far. I like the new car smell and the fact that the car I'm driving is the latest out there for that particular model. It's not meant to haolian or satisfy others, it's more of a personal preference. Buying car for me is a emotional purchase. Hardly a practical one.

I also think car interior is very important. The design, built quality, material finish as well as creature comforts / tech features. Because that's when we spend most of our time, which is in the car.

Usually when I pop by showrooms, within 1-2 days will confirm buy. Such things cannot wait one, very ganjiong  :grin:

• Praise 5

For me, I asked my colleague to recommend. He said Car A good and reliable, so I went to car dealer and test drove Car A . . . wah no bad . . okay buy Car A. 

So simple!  [laugh]  . . . unker Simon say one.

for me.. bring mechanic is AML... tell him budget.. go choose one where i dont need to visit u often.. 

nego down.. done deal.. 

so simple.. i say one..  [laugh]

• Praise 2

Sometimes, when buying a car, must also use some gut feel and see if you can connect to your "wife" for this short 10 years or less marriage. 

When I bought my first used car, went down to several used car dealers to see the shortlisted ones, all Cannot Make It.

On the 2nd day of car viewing, happened to chance upon a car that was not on my list,  (but within my budget) and also a Manual instead of Auto, test drove, did some background checks on the servicing history, car history through another car forum (owner posted photo of car when he bought it brand new & added so many accessories), and low mileage, negotiated the price and the rest is history.  [:p]

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 5

Based on recent my recent purchase process :

1) My need for large boot, looking at stationwagons only.

2) Interior space needs to fit me comfortably.

3) More than 150hp car.

4) Features which I want, cruise control, HID lights, electric seats for both driver and passenger, electronic parking brake preferred, electric tailgate, drop down rear seats and good sound insulation(heavy door).

5) Warranty, servicing and stockist availability.

6) Price, within my wallet ability for downpayment.

So basically narrow down to a few contenders................Mz6 Wagon, Levorg, i40 and A6 Avant(second hand). Although CLS Shooting Brake was dream car after watching Vicky introduce it in 5th Gear, no money for it.

• Praise 5

This topic can be discussed 1,000 more times and you can be assured there would still be no answersto it. Buying car is a easy decision process if we follow our head, what car we need, purpose of the car, number of seats, budget , power, consumption etc. But the problem is a lot of time, we involve our heart, that is when all the complication will come in. Eg. I like this brand, i like that config, i like more power which i may not need etc. Next is if you involve your wife and girlfriend, then you and another dimension of complexity to your decision making. So it depends on whether you have a strong head or stronger heart. When your heart over rule your head , it spells trouble in decision making..

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 3

1. budget

2. annual depre

3. read up on brand specific forums on maintenance and reliability matters

to me, engine and gearbox is about 70% of my decision, with cabin comfort and functionality adding another 10%. 

remaining 20% are factors and features which I can live with, or I can live without.

• Praise 4

walk into showroom

ask what's nett nett nett price until cows come home

sign deposit with credit card

2 weeks later got the car

quite straight forward leh

you mean got other process?

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

Shortlist the cars that meet budget, go to showroom test drive and then pay deposit on the car decided to buy. Buy car should be as simple as this right?! Lol.

• Praise 1

For me, quite long-drawn process (cos boh-lui)

Once have some idea, will go and find out how many 'qualified' cars are there to choose from. After that will arrange to find time to go and check them out personally after reading about their reviews.

Shortlisted ones, will test drive. 

I will compare the specs/performance/features and of course price, reliability, etc.

Then if decided on one, will want to monitor the price trend (which is usually tied o COE trend), and then decide when is best time to buy, with an eye on the deadline too.

Had done this for MPVs over maybe 1 yr+ period, but now wife suddenly moved goalposts, said want SUV instead, so start fro scratch again... 

i was just thinking, instead of  every now and then we see ppl asking this car or that car, why not we have a place to share all our buying decision process. Everyone has a different buying process, depending on priority. So share share here what is yours.

in fact its quite funny to see ppl copy and paste technical information, when sgcarmart has a function where we can compare 3-4 cars side by side. It even has a green tick to indicate which car has the best feature in that comparison.

I think a compile thread of a buying process may help some who have no idea what they want. But they want to buy.

What i use:

want/need recognition

deadline.

type of car

New or used

Information collection

searching the internal for information related to the range identified from step 1

short list 

Evaluation

test drive

feel the car

final short list

from 1000cc to 3500cc, from new cars to 9 yr old cars, there are at least a few hundred models to choose from. $90000 cash can buy you a brand new PRC made car in full cash, it can also buy you a used big conti car with a loan. Not to mention the inbetweens.

So have a buying process, it can help you save alot of time and headache. [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]  

• Praise 3

What i use:

want/need recognition

deadline.

type of car

New or used

Information collection

short list 

Evaluation

test drive

feel the car

final short list

my process simple:

1. I want to change car

2. my wife disagreed

3. end of process,

after some time, repeat the same cycle

:TT_TT:  :pissed-off:

• Praise 6