Your car buying decision process

Tianmo

My own take

Phase I

Aim - who drives the car, what's the purpose (eg, fetch kids, mum or personal vehicle) &

Budget - most important, how much do I want to spend, now not some nominal sum, but what I feel I can afford, and if I want something nice, will it fit, and does it make sense

Phase II

Research - what's out there, what is nearing the end of it's lifespan, what are the got to have features etc

Reliability issues, safety, maintainence

Phase III

Walk the ground - showroom time!

To avoid too much confusion, avoid considering more than 5, max 10 cars. And choose the type first, i.e. MPV, SUV, sedan etc

Test drive:

Understand that most of time, we aren't going to be like Top Gear, so things like ergonomics, comfort, economy etc matter more than handling under severe conditions 

Test the handles, switches etc and of course easy egress - my mum is the gold standard. If she can climb in, and she feels comfortable, that's the car.

Phase IV

Showtime with the sales rep!

My rule of thumb:

Never buy from a chio lady... I might go nuts and buy something I shouldn't - ha ha 

Understand the black and white - what are the features, maintenance costs, pricing, COE amount, bidding process

Phase V

Financing, speaking to the banker etc

Phase VI

Do the deed

Then wait for the car, and enjoy  [drivingcar]

Edited by therock
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

First set budget, then check sgcarmart see what's available. Do a lot of internet research, read reviews, watch youtube. By the time reach the showroom, 99% intend to buy it liao.

Next time I will try to go down more showrooms so that can have some activity to do on weekends and give SE things to do  [laugh]

• Praise 2

walk into showroom

ask what's nett nett nett price until cows come home

sign deposit with credit card

2 weeks later got the car

quite straight forward leh

you mean got other process?

Got.

Buy oredi den cum into MCF ask for opinion.

Dun like what they hear, get angry.

[laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 2

Hey

Buying a car isn't like buay chai... there's a lot more emotion and passion.

You buy the veggie, cook and eat it

Most people will enjoy the buying process and want validation of their decision.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Set budget, decide whether I want second hand or new, look for cars within budget that can fit my whole family in. Shortlist those that meet my criteria and see which one gives the best value. 

limpeh have $$ limpeh buy!

next

No wonder ppl say u change car like change underwear.

The process u mentioned is exactly how I buy underwear.....LOL

• Praise 5

Hey

Buying a car isn't like buay chai... there's a lot more emotion and passion.

You buy the veggie, cook and eat it

Most people will enjoy the buying process and want validation of their decision.

Only reason I can think of if ppl need to seek validation from strangers in a forum is becoz of buyers remorse
  • Praise 1

Pwah! GTI! Middlescence hit huh? When are you going for a topless? And I mean convertible...

Pwah! GTI! Middlescence hit huh? When are you going for a topless? And I mean convertible...

Second car lah dey. Still got my trusty SUV for family duties

lim-ma, budget very tight, have to monitor COE trend every 2 weeks, pray for it to drop to <$10

waited many many years, until now still cannot afford to buy my dream car  :grin:

• Praise 1

nb u no money u no buy undies ah...lol

Only reason I can think of if ppl need to seek validation from strangers in a forum is becoz of buyers remorse

exactly!!!! cannot agree more. It's your damn $$$ for goodness sake.  You took the plunge, you decide, you buy!  wtf u come to a forum asking if good lah, mother can sit lah, dog can sit lah....for crying out loud, you are the one buying it.  Seek solace for wat f?

We see less of these, but still have those insecure pricks who venture here off and on and EXPECT others to sing to their tune.  Tell them bad thing, they emo.....

• Praise 1

exactly!!!! cannot agree more. It's your damn $$$ for goodness sake. You took the plunge, you decide, you buy! wtf u come to a forum asking if good lah, mother can sit lah, dog can sit lah....for crying out loud, you are the one buying it. Seek solace for wat f?

We see less of these, but still have those insecure pricks who venture here off and on and EXPECT others to sing to their tune. Tell them bad thing, they emo.....

Uncle 2day grouchy ah :XD:

Doggie very guai leh :grin:

exactly!!!! cannot agree more. It's your damn $$$ for goodness sake. You took the plunge, you decide, you buy! wtf u come to a forum asking if good lah, mother can sit lah, dog can sit lah....for crying out loud, you are the one buying it. Seek solace for wat f?

We see less of these, but still have those insecure pricks who venture here off and on and EXPECT others to sing to their tune. Tell them bad thing, they emo.....

Err... this a a car forum, dun talk about car talk what??

Come to think of it, 99% of my posts here are non car related.... only when my car give problems or buying car then I read the car posts....

but seriously, it does help reading this forum before buying. I found out two pretty useful facts which I did not know one week ago. Cevs affect your parf and government might tweak diesel tax soon.

• Praise 1

so complicated de...no wonder i have been taking public transport for the last 11+ years

↡ Advertisement