Should Retreaded Tires Be Banned ?

Imac

618b842a8b26d643b298d279476890fa.jpg

This near-miss accident prompted me to post this topic.

I was driving along KJE towards Tuas around noon today, weather was hot....I was in middle lane, on the left lane were mostly trucks and heavy vehicles.

The truck in-front of me had a bursted tyre and pieces of rubber debris were flying out from the truck.

Instinctively, I braked and swerved right onto the next lane, just as a huge chunk of tire goes under my left wheel.

In my rear view mirror I saw other tire parts behind me. It was a narrow miss. If I was riding a motorcycle/scooter, I might not be at home written this now.

Most of these debris come from retreaded tires. Retreading is a process that saves money by shaving down old tires to their casing and attaching and bonding a new exterior. Retreads tire will save the owner $$$.

Those of you frequent KJE/BKE will agreed that the rubber debris is getting more and more these days.

I think it is time that authority do something against this hazard,  reducing these debris on our road should be a top safety priority.

The problem is serious and it is costing lives. Be careful out there and stay alert.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

don't drive behind dump trucks if possible. they block your front view and most times 'spray' small stones result in cracked windscreen. came across few dump trucks stopping at traffic junction. noticed mostly all tyres going 'botak' liao...worse than a slick tyre.... [shocked]  

• Praise 2

I think it's practiced all over the world. If you ask for ban, the cost of new tire changes will no doubt be passed to the customers. Logistics wise delivery cost for almost everything will go up hence raising prices for everything.

I think a lot of things are done at the cost of human lives that's why we got insurance coverage. When it comes to road safety there's no guarantee. Banning the issue doesn't stop ppl.

when I see huge vehicles, my rule is overtake asap, and get it out of my equation. Every second it stays beside or ahead of me means one second of uncertainty.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

NSH even more busted tyres around than here.

Personally in Singapore because of speed limit re treads not so dangerous as elsewhere but I'd like to see them banned.

But how to ensure no Malaysian lorries with re treads on Singapore roads.

618b842a8b26d643b298d279476890fa.jpg

This near-miss accident prompted me to post this topic.

I was driving along KJE towards Tuas around noon today, weather was hot....I was in middle lane, on the left lane were mostly trucks and heavy vehicles.

The truck in-front of me had a bursted tyre and pieces of rubber debris were flying out from the truck.

Instinctively, I braked and swerved right onto the next lane, just as a huge chunk of tire goes under my left wheel.

In my rear view mirror I saw other tire parts behind me. It was a narrow miss. If I was riding a motorcycle/scooter, I might not be at home written this now.

Most of these debris come from retreaded tires. Retreading is a process that saves money by shaving down old tires to their casing and attaching and bonding a new exterior. Retreads tire will save the owner $$$.

Those of you frequent KJE/BKE will agreed that the rubber debris is getting more and more these days.

I think it is time that authority do something against this hazard,  reducing these debris on our road should be a top safety priority.

The problem is serious and it is costing lives. Be careful out there and stay alert.

i thought rethreading tyres is already banned in singapore??

I'm not sure if retreading a tyre can cause this problem.

The only time I've blown tyre, twice, is due to a flat tyre, and it's due to heat.

When a tyre goes flat and if you're unaware and continue driving, heat builds up quickly and eventually the tyre exploded.

Supercharged

The only time I've blown tyre, twice, is due to a flat tyre, and it's due to heat.

When a tyre goes flat and if you're unaware and continue driving, heat builds up quickly and eventually the tyre exploded.

what happened to your moving vehicle when the tyre exploded? can still move to stop safely?

How can one not know their tyre is flat?

what happened to your moving vehicle when the tyre exploded? can still move to stop safely?

Need to slow down and move to the side of the road.

Depending on your wheel, my lightweight alloy cracked and need to be replaced.

The other car, steel wheel, bo tai chi.

How can one not know their tyre is flat?

Well, you should go around the car and look at the tyres before moving off.

A flat tyre in front will give you warning, steering will be funny, bumpy or shifting left and right.

A flat tyre on the rear, you may not notice, that's the danger part. You can drive until it explode.

The best is to get tpms if the car is not equipped with one.

• Praise 1

It's a cultural/mindset things, do you ever see such rubber debris in Germany or some other Nordic countries ? 

See a lot of burst rubber debris on the motorways in UK.

rethread tyre is only good if the truck don't go into muddy area. Bus use rethread tyre is okay since it is on the road. I don't know why but this is what a construction company boss told me. If your truck is meant for going into muddy constructions site, don't use stick back tyre. It will burst in no time.