• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
90 replies to this topic | 340 praises

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:33 AM

Yoongf
  • Premium member
    Yoongf
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Home LED downlights became popular few yrs ago and is now the norm for new home installations.

Would like to chk.. Anyone encounter breakdowns within short period? Can share your experience?

My home currently using PLC. Does retrofitting to LED improve the mean time between failure (MTBF)?

I heard a few cases of LED driver failure but hw widespread is it? Replacing LED costs a lot more than a PLC tube.
1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:10 AM

Hummer
  • Premium member
    Hummer
    3rd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

As long as you don't on/off in quick succession, they are generally fine with reliability. (driver)

I been using about 20 downlights LED bought from Taobao for 2yrs plus. None has broken down nor have reduced brightness.

Just buy about 5 to 10 spares as replacement. Easy to change anyway.

Taobao 1 piece only few dollars niah. Where got expensive to replace?

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

Tianmo
  • Premium member
    Tianmo
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Home LED downlights became popular few yrs ago and is now the norm for new home installations.

Would like to chk.. Anyone encounter breakdowns within short period? Can share your experience?

My home currently using PLC. Does retrofitting to LED improve the mean time between failure (MTBF)?

I heard a few cases of LED driver failure but hw widespread is it? Replacing LED costs a lot more than a PLC tube.

mine lasted 3 yrs, then slowly one by one up lorry. One thing I can cfm is electrical consumption is alot lower, which means bill also lower.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Jamesc praised this
芸芸人海,罪孽深重,神佛不渡,唯我魔渡

with the spirit of the MCF tiko club..............We are................ TIKO RANGERS!!!

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Moved in at late 2013. None failed so far. My clinic has normal downlights.they suck.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

Kklim
  • Premium member
    Kklim
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I put in a LED downlight in my false ceiling 3 weeks ago. 15W, Malaysia brand, about RM25. The body is plastic so don't have to worry about rust stains. Makes economic sense even if mati in 3 years.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

Kusje
  • Kusje
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Don't need to buy from Taobao if worried about reliability. 30+ RM (or less) can get philip branded ones in JB already.

That is all.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

Unfair
  • Premium member
    Unfair
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Just went in to JB to buy lightings recently. 

30+-45 RM for Philips LED.

China made 15-30+ China LED

if your PLC ones are still working, i recommend to just stick with it. Only when they spoil then change.

Pepi18022009 (For Fifa14/GTA V)

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:38 AM

Kangadrool
  • Premium member
    Kangadrool
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Heat is a killer for LED. The bulb will not feel hot, but the heat sink/head is hot, thereby causing slow damage to the electronic circuit board inside.

My entrance pendant light is Philips LED, with good circulation flow = no suffocation and heat build up. Life span 24/7/365 is about 2-3 years.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:44 AM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I think the general complain is about LED drivers going dead, those small pcb types.

If you have a lot of LEDs, consider using a brick type power supply to power them all.

They look like those for powering PC. I think they should be quite long lasting.

y1x8O0p.jpg

Mustank, Still2016 and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:55 PM

A_korusawa
  • A_korusawa
    6th Gear
    Author Image

as many here had said; its worth replacing normal downlights with LED for its brighter and energy saver..... especially if its very frequently lighted up and for long hours like overnight

I started off by not bothering to save $ and bought from local big name like LightCraft....

I was utterly dissappointed; paid a premium price to get unrelaible products! uphill within a year one after another...... damn fustrating!

it then led me to drive up in JB.... Not only its cheaper, reliable and utmost satisfaction till date

just take note on your lighted surfaces.... its good if reflected surfaces are matted like ceiling cornices, wall fences etc.

but for marble floor etc. where surface is glossy - then you might wanna replace LED lamps instead of those tiny bulbs types!

Cheers

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I bought 10 pcs of Philips LED bulb that looks like this

Bulb.jpeg

for RMB 30 each from taobao.

I also bought Philips LED Downlight bulb from Taobao for RMB 60.  No heat le.

Mustank praised this

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

Enye
  • Enye
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

replace my entire home with led lights 2 months ago

those in the living/dining rooms and bedrooms adjustable brightness and colour tones

so far so good...but got 2 year factory warranty

😌

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:37 PM

Kusje
  • Kusje
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

replace my entire home with led lights 2 months ago

those in the living/dining rooms and bedrooms adjustable brightness and colour tones

so far so good...but got 2 year factory warranty

ð

So where are you staying now? 😎
That is all.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:44 PM

Ender
  • Premium member
    Ender
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Don't need to buy from Taobao if worried about reliability. 30+ RM (or less) can get philip branded ones in JB already.

Yes, tao bao there risk. MY first purchase, chose the cheapest, to replace the florescent. In one or two months, burnt out..

2nd purchase chose a more expensive with Opple brand, Still burning for 6 months. Keeping finger cross.

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:32 AM

Enye
  • Enye
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

So where are you staying now? ð

same old hdb leh...why?

😌

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:35 AM

Kusje
  • Kusje
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

same old hdb leh...why?

ð

Dunno. You said you replaced your home with led lights so I thought you must be staying in an led light now.
That is all.

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:36 AM

Yoongf
  • Premium member
    Yoongf
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Bulb.jpeg

I also bought Philips LED Downlight bulb from Taobao for RMB 60. No heat le.

My current E27 lamp fittings all CFL 23-24W. PLC all 18W x 2.

If want to maintain current level of lux, need to upsize all the false ceiling holes to bigger diameter since LED wattage is tied to lamp diameter. So if want quick direct lamp replacement, hv to accept lower lux levels.

Anyone encountered a drop in light levels over time? Heard that cheaper LED or the drivers efficiency drops over time.

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:41 AM

Kusje
  • Kusje
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

My current E27 lamp fittings all CFL 23-24W. PLC all 18W x 2.

If want to maintain current level of lux, need to upsize all the false ceiling holes to bigger diameter since LED wattage is tied to lamp diameter. So if want quick direct lamp replacement, hv to accept lower lux levels.

Anyone encountered a drop in light levels over time? Heard that cheaper LED or the drivers efficiency drops over time.

Isn't led also supposed to be brighter for the same wattage?
That is all.

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:23 AM

Atrecord
  • Premium member
    Atrecord
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

i moved in 5 yr 1 mth ago. Only have 3x LED downlights in the living room, and the rest of the house all just use energy-saving downlights and PLCs. Kids' rooms have 4 downlights with that dunno what driver, i think, which is supposed to flicker less and therefore better for the eyes if they are studying in the room. Master room has 2 of the philips energy-saving bulbs that can dim one...

Of the 3 LEDs, 1 of them conked off about 3 yr on, almost 2 yr ago. Damned pissed, but had to get it replaced at the shop i bought from when doing the reno. Must be all China-made ones.

Then of the other downlights, the 4 in the kids' rooms all conked off within 2 yr. Changed the bulbs also no use... So must get the whole lights replaced, i think. 

But partly in order to discourage the kids from being in the room excessively using tablets/phones, i've not gotten them replaced yet. Just let them use the cool white PLC in the meantime.

Anyone knows any technician good with such electricity/wiring/lighting works to recommend? I might finally get them replaced.

tks...

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:41 AM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Bulb.jpeg

I also bought Philips LED Downlight bulb from Taobao for RMB 60. No heat le.

I am also using this in my bedroom
Very good light
normal led bulb the downwards light is very strong
The side of the bulb like no light
This type style led bulb is good because even the side there the light also come out
Can light up my crystal
Nice

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users