Home LED downlights - Reliability?

Yoongf

Home LED downlights became popular few yrs ago and is now the norm for new home installations.

Would like to chk.. Anyone encounter breakdowns within short period? Can share your experience?

My home currently using PLC. Does retrofitting to LED improve the mean time between failure (MTBF)?

I heard a few cases of LED driver failure but hw widespread is it? Replacing LED costs a lot more than a PLC tube.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

As long as you don't on/off in quick succession, they are generally fine with reliability. (driver)

I been using about 20 downlights LED bought from Taobao for 2yrs plus. None has broken down nor have reduced brightness.

Just buy about 5 to 10 spares as replacement. Easy to change anyway.

Taobao 1 piece only few dollars niah. Where got expensive to replace?

• Praise 1

Home LED downlights became popular few yrs ago and is now the norm for new home installations.

Would like to chk.. Anyone encounter breakdowns within short period? Can share your experience?

My home currently using PLC. Does retrofitting to LED improve the mean time between failure (MTBF)?

I heard a few cases of LED driver failure but hw widespread is it? Replacing LED costs a lot more than a PLC tube.

mine lasted 3 yrs, then slowly one by one up lorry. One thing I can cfm is electrical consumption is alot lower, which means bill also lower.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Supercharged

I put in a LED downlight in my false ceiling 3 weeks ago. 15W, Malaysia brand, about RM25. The body is plastic so don't have to worry about rust stains. Makes economic sense even if mati in 3 years.

Don't need to buy from Taobao if worried about reliability. 30+ RM (or less) can get philip branded ones in JB already.

Just went in to JB to buy lightings recently. 

30+-45 RM for Philips LED.

China made 15-30+ China LED

if your PLC ones are still working, i recommend to just stick with it. Only when they spoil then change.

• Praise 1

Heat is a killer for LED. The bulb will not feel hot, but the heat sink/head is hot, thereby causing slow damage to the electronic circuit board inside.

My entrance pendant light is Philips LED, with good circulation flow = no suffocation and heat build up. Life span 24/7/365 is about 2-3 years.

• Praise 1

I think the general complain is about LED drivers going dead, those small pcb types.

If you have a lot of LEDs, consider using a brick type power supply to power them all.

They look like those for powering PC. I think they should be quite long lasting.

y1x8O0p.jpg

• Praise 3

as many here had said; its worth replacing normal downlights with LED for its brighter and energy saver..... especially if its very frequently lighted up and for long hours like overnight

I started off by not bothering to save $ and bought from local big name like LightCraft....

I was utterly dissappointed; paid a premium price to get unrelaible products! uphill within a year one after another...... damn fustrating!

it then led me to drive up in JB.... Not only its cheaper, reliable and utmost satisfaction till date

just take note on your lighted surfaces.... its good if reflected surfaces are matted like ceiling cornices, wall fences etc.

but for marble floor etc. where surface is glossy - then you might wanna replace LED lamps instead of those tiny bulbs types!

Cheers

• Praise 1

I bought 10 pcs of Philips LED bulb that looks like this

post-16870-0-00726700-1484666096.jpeg

for RMB 30 each from taobao.

I also bought Philips LED Downlight bulb from Taobao for RMB 60.  No heat le.

• Praise 1

replace my entire home with led lights 2 months ago

those in the living/dining rooms and bedrooms adjustable brightness and colour tones

so far so good...but got 2 year factory warranty

replace my entire home with led lights 2 months ago

those in the living/dining rooms and bedrooms adjustable brightness and colour tones

so far so good...but got 2 year factory warranty

ð

So where are you staying now?

Don't need to buy from Taobao if worried about reliability. 30+ RM (or less) can get philip branded ones in JB already.

Yes, tao bao there risk. MY first purchase, chose the cheapest, to replace the florescent. In one or two months, burnt out..

2nd purchase chose a more expensive with Opple brand, Still burning for 6 months. Keeping finger cross.

same old hdb leh...why?

ð

Dunno. You said you replaced your home with led lights so I thought you must be staying in an led light now.

I bought 10 pcs of Philips LED bulb that looks like this

Bulb.jpeg

for RMB 30 each from taobao.

I also bought Philips LED Downlight bulb from Taobao for RMB 60. No heat le.

My current E27 lamp fittings all CFL 23-24W. PLC all 18W x 2.

If want to maintain current level of lux, need to upsize all the false ceiling holes to bigger diameter since LED wattage is tied to lamp diameter. So if want quick direct lamp replacement, hv to accept lower lux levels.

Anyone encountered a drop in light levels over time? Heard that cheaper LED or the drivers efficiency drops over time.

My current E27 lamp fittings all CFL 23-24W. PLC all 18W x 2.

If want to maintain current level of lux, need to upsize all the false ceiling holes to bigger diameter since LED wattage is tied to lamp diameter. So if want quick direct lamp replacement, hv to accept lower lux levels.

Anyone encountered a drop in light levels over time? Heard that cheaper LED or the drivers efficiency drops over time.

Isn't led also supposed to be brighter for the same wattage?
↡ Advertisement