Home LED downlights - Reliability?

Yoongf

i moved in 5 yr 1 mth ago. Only have 3x LED downlights in the living room, and the rest of the house all just use energy-saving downlights and PLCs. Kids' rooms have 4 downlights with that dunno what driver, i think, which is supposed to flicker less and therefore better for the eyes if they are studying in the room. Master room has 2 of the philips energy-saving bulbs that can dim one...

Of the 3 LEDs, 1 of them conked off about 3 yr on, almost 2 yr ago. Damned pissed, but had to get it replaced at the shop i bought from when doing the reno. Must be all China-made ones.

Then of the other downlights, the 4 in the kids' rooms all conked off within 2 yr. Changed the bulbs also no use... So must get the whole lights replaced, i think. 

But partly in order to discourage the kids from being in the room excessively using tablets/phones, i've not gotten them replaced yet. Just let them use the cool white PLC in the meantime.

Anyone knows any technician good with such electricity/wiring/lighting works to recommend? I might finally get them replaced.

tks...

↡ Advertisement

I bought 10 pcs of Philips LED bulb that looks like this

Bulb.jpeg

for RMB 30 each from taobao.

I also bought Philips LED Downlight bulb from Taobao for RMB 60. No heat le.

I am also using this in my bedroom

Very good light

normal led bulb the downwards light is very strong

The side of the bulb like no light

This type style led bulb is good because even the side there the light also come out

Can light up my crystal

Nice

My experience:

1) reasonable quality LED can last some years, got one always on for about 5 years before replacement

2) some died in a month or 2, may be on/off often

3) heat up like confined housing could shorten life span

4) LED driver affect frequency, experienced disruption to radio

5) LED very little heat and energy saving, but cost still not so economical though has come down quite a bit these 2 years

This one retro style mimicking Edison tungsten wire bulb.

Very good light
This type style led bulb is good because even the side there the light also come out
Can light up my crystal
Nice

My experience:

1) reasonable quality LED can last some years, got one always on for about 5 years before replacement

2) some died in a month or 2, may be on/off often

3) heat up like confined housing could shorten life span

4) LED driver affect frequency, experienced disruption to radio

5) LED very little heat and energy saving, but cost still not so economical though has come down quite a bit these 2 years

Like I said lor. Pay a little more and buy philip brand from JB. Reliability is there.

Only reason one should buy those random unheard of brands is if you die die want the remote control and multi-color lights function.

Buy Ikea one lor, branded yet relatively cheap especially those bundled warm light ones.

One thing for LED bulb is higher wattage does not mean brighter. Need to look at the lumens output which Ikea bulbs have been labelled.

Edited by Kangadrool

Where in JB do you buy the lights from?

I have some LED downlights that I need to replace. Bought from Az*ra. Within 1 year 2-3 popped liao wah lao

Edited by Genes
  • Praise 1

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/60673-our-%E6%B8%A9%E9%A6%A8-5-room-%E5%B0%8F%E7%8B%97%E7%AA%9D/?do=findComment&comment=826021

If you buy from taobao, get 一级喜光 downlights.

I bought 22, installed 19, had 1 failed just shortly after installation. Since then no issues at all.

My BIL bought the same one as me. Also one failure on installation, but since then also no issues

I'm only using a false ceiling with 10cm depth.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

This one retro style mimicking Edison tungsten wire bulb.

Yes

The old tungsten bulb or fluorescent bulb were 360 degree illumination

New led bulbs were about 180 degree

In fact the search for these kind of bulb in taobao is:

复古led灯泡

Like I said lor. Pay a little more and buy philip brand from JB. Reliability is there.

Only reason one should buy those random unheard of brands is if you die die want the remote control and multi-color lights function.

I buy from TB, my philips florescent tubes as well. Cos they are using the newer technology. Hard to find in SG.

I also bought spare ballast.

LED bulb lifespan depends on the current driving it.

If you want full brightness, then it's life going to be short.

If you reduce the current, thus the brightness just a little, it's life can double.

Most LED bulbs sold are usually overdriven, more or less, since consumers always want the brightest. They get sold and are unlikely to get complains after 5 yrs of usage.

Yes

The old tungsten bulb or fluorescent bulb were 360 degree illumination

New led bulbs were about 180 degree

In fact the search for these kind of bulb in taobao is:

复古led灯泡

actually edison (in chinese) also can find. These are commonly known as edison bulbs also in TB.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/60673-our-%E6%B8%A9%E9%A6%A8-5-room-%E5%B0%8F%E7%8B%97%E7%AA%9D/?do=findComment&comment=826019

The downlights i was referring to.

I rate it an excellent buy. Worth every penny!

actually edison (in chinese) also can find. These are commonly known as edison bulbs also in TB.

But these kind of old style led bulbs don't have very high watts one

Usually 6w 9w the most

Those normal led bulb can go 15w 17w no problem

i really dislike PLC lights cos my clinics have them.

The magnetic ballast sound. And when they start flickering.

Zuck zuck zuck ....  [thumbsdown]

I bought that pc which lasted 5 years at Sim Lim Tower. OEM no brand but at $25 then.
  • Praise 1

Isn't led also supposed to be brighter for the same wattage?

Yes. But their E27 version max 18W only. Their slim panel max 18W but requires a bigger hole opening.

Even the T8 LED is ard 19W compared to 36-40W existing fluorescent tubes.

So far.. My opinion.. New installation use LED makes perfect sense, but to retrofit existing.. Still undecided.

Yes. But their E27 version max 18W only. Their slim panel max 18W but requires a bigger hole opening.

Even the T8 LED is ard 19W compared to 36-40W existing fluorescent tubes.

So far.. My opinion.. New installation use LED makes perfect sense, but to retrofit existing.. Still undecided.

my 12W led at home is as bright as my clinics PLC 2 bulbs downlight.

Very good light

Can light up my crystal

Nice

That's also the reason i bought these bulbs.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1