Expired COE

alikato

Why will dealers bid for COEs and then let them expire huh? They will lose the $10k deposit with LTA? Woww...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Why will dealers bid for COEs and then let them expire huh? They will lose the $10k deposit with LTA? Woww...

Who on earth will let them expire... r u crazy?

• Praise 1

Could be buyer ran into financial problem or bankrupt..

Since COE bidded under the buyer name no way to transfer.. Unless die die register the car and sell off after 3 months.. But since buyer bo $$$ this is not possible.

• Praise 3

Could be buyer ran into financial problem or bankrupt..

Since COE bidded under the buyer name no way to transfer.. Unless die die register the car and sell off after 3 months.. But since buyer bo $$$ this is not possible.

Yup, if COE is bid under individual name but they cannot afford the car, then no choice but to let it expire and lose the 10k deposit. Only Cat E is transferable if bid under individual name.

• Praise 2

One burning question regarding coe and this seems to be the most relevant thread instead of starting a new one.

What happened to the cars in the 1980s and so on when coe first started? When coe started I believe all buyers of new cars had to pay for them but what about existing cars? Were they driving until scrapped without coe or existing drivers made to pay something also?

Tried googling but no answers. Just when it started but no details on what happened to existing vehicles then.

Edited by Philipkee

One burning question regarding coe and this seems to be the most relevant thread instead of starting a new one.

What happened to the cars in the 1980s and so on when coe first started? When coe started I believe all buyers of new cars had to pay for them but what about existing cars? Were they driving until scrapped without coe or existing drivers made to pay something also?

Tried googling but no answers. Just when it started but no details on what happened to existing vehicles then.

Those without coe during that era were allowed to continue driving till scrap and at that time the scrap value was fixed.think under 1600cc was $11200 and above 1600cc was $29k. You still could pay for the prevailing coe premium and use it for another 5 or 10 years if you decided not to scrap.

Those without coe during that era were allowed to continue driving till scrap and at that time the scrap value was fixed.think under 1600cc was $11200 and above 1600cc was $29k. You still could pay for the prevailing coe premium and use it for another 5 or 10 years if you decided not to scrap.

Thanks. But just wondering cos before the coe there was no need to scrap within 10 yrs? So what if I chose to drive it for next twenty years (just repair engine). Or did the authorities mandate scrapping after 10 yrs for existing cars (based on road tax can easily see which car is reaching 10 yrs old )unless they paid coe?

Thanks. But just wondering cos before the coe there was no need to scrap within 10 yrs? So what if I chose to drive it for next twenty years (just repair engine). Or did the authorities mandate scrapping after 10 yrs for existing cars (based on road tax can easily see which car is reaching 10 yrs old )unless they paid coe?

You still need to scrap your car in order to take back your scrap value as stated in my previous reply. In early days before coe implementation, you don't have to pay the prevailing coe premium to keep your car beyond 10 years, the trade off is after ten years no more scrap value.
  • Praise 2

You still need to scrap your car in order to take back your scrap value as stated in my previous reply. In early days before coe implementation, you don't have to pay the prevailing coe premium to keep your car beyond 10 years, the trade off is after ten years no more scrap value.

I see. Thanks. Cos there seem to be little info on this online. Only how and when started but nothing on existing cars then.

Was curious.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

B4 COE still hv to scrap at 10th year. Otherwise lose PARF. But then cars were not so expensive then so many chose to scrap, take PARF n buy new
  • Praise 2

Wondering how much car price was back then...

Brand new Honda Civic from KAH was $28K in late 80's.

Nearly bought it, but opted for a 2-yr used Civic at <$19K, instead.

Only lose 10k deposit?

If say successfully bidded a 50k coe... Shouldn't it mean that LTA already pocketed the 50k? 

Even if AD bid for the person, the AD will still chase after the person to get the balance of the Cost it incurred for getting the COE on his behalf? 

Yup, if COE is bid under individual name but they cannot afford the car, then no choice but to let it expire and lose the 10k deposit. Only Cat E is transferable if bid under individual name.

↡ Advertisement