Rims with thin (more) vs thick (lesser) spoke

Stone-Cold

Newbie just started to read about wheels. Is there any functionality difference between wheels with thin (more number, about 10) and thicker/wider (5 or 6) spokes.
Tried to search but haven't found any. Is it just cosmetic?

Any difference in toughness? Eg if go over pothole which type has higher fail risk or same?

TIA

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Personally, more spoke means tougher to wash and tougher to reach the inner side of the rim. Less spoke easier to reach in and easier to wash. The looks of each rim is subjective to individual preference so I won't comment on that.

• Praise 4

Newbie just started to read about wheels. Is there any functionality difference between wheels with thin (more number, about 10) and thicker/wider (5 or 6) spokes.

Any difference in toughness? Eg if go over pothole which type has higher fail risk or same?

TIA

if you assuming going over the same pot hole at the same impact / same car / same tire.

I will say more spoke is less prompt to dent (apply only the outer face only) ,the inner part will have equally same risk ,unless a stronger wheel.

TIA

The main strength of the rim comes from the main cylindrical wheel body (also as mentioned above, the spokes wont help the inside face).

Just get whatever wheel design you visually like.

Twincharged

I think get a rim from a reputable brand and you don't really have much to worry about. I'm sure those rims would have passed all the safety tests and regulations.

• Praise 1

I think get a rim from a reputable brand and you don't really have much to worry about. I'm sure those rims would have passed all the safety tests and regulations.

you are absolutely correct that easier way is to buy the reputable brand that Quality(safety) is Assured.

but that doesn't meant others are all poor quality.

↡ Advertisement