COE bidding - 2nd round of Feb 2017 delayed with change

wdldalian

I think for any changes to CEVS will definitely follow the timeline of July. So maybe any COE changes might follow as well. May not be immediate.

↡ Advertisement

yes they can, but CEVS already has a scheduled timeline for update in a few more months

why the need to bring the timeline forward, and show they are not committed to their own prescribed timeline? 

the loan period and downpayment had no scheduled timeline, therefore it can be sudden

If not CEVS, then what could be the change le? Wonder from now until next coe bidding, how would ADs offered car package to buyers?

Edited by 13177

Frankly.... when the MIW wants to get something done.....the reasons they come up with is just a formality. They don't need to justify why shorten the scheduled timeline.

yes they can, but CEVS already has a scheduled timeline for update in a few more months

why the need to bring the timeline forward, and show they are not committed to their own prescribed timeline? 

the loan period and downpayment had no scheduled timeline, therefore it can be sudden

• Praise 1

I dun remember the last time I hear a good news from the govt... 

Don;t be so negative

I hear say that every family with at last 3 children, between 1 day old to 12 years old as at 20 Feb 2017 will be given a FREE COE.

This serves to enourage couples to engage in extra cirriculum activities at night with their lawful spouse.   [laugh]

Edited by Vinceng

i think changes could be made to limit Uber and Grab's ability to influence the COE market

it seems more cars will be changed to Private Hire, if nothing is done, a huge % of our cars will be leased or hired.

and this deviates from the government long standing policy on having citizens being tied down with obligations in Singapore, ie your hdb, condo, car assets, so you will not want to migrate overseas or seek greener pastures elsewhere. The more successful you are, the more assets you have here, the less likely you will move away and cause a brain drain here.

government wants everyone to own a car if possible, but use it sparingly, carlite means less usage, not less ownership! 

also Uber and grab are playing in the CAT A, making CAT A on par or even more exp than CAT B, reducing Citizens chance of ownership.

so my guess is that changes will be made to Private hire ability to bid COE. possibly a new CAT F for Private Hirers

Edited by TangoElite
  • Praise 1

Don;t be so negative

I hear say that every family with at last 3 children, between 1 day old to 12 years old as at 20 Feb 2017 will be given a FREE COE.

This serves to enourage couples to engage in extra cirriculum activities at night with their lawful spouse.   [laugh]

Since we are making a wish list, maybe also add : 

-- will be given petrol voucher, discount in HDB season parking rate, maybe also car park coupon

to help them enjoy having their own private transport with no worry of running cost. 

• Praise 8

Sgt!!! How? How? How?

Should I hoot now?!  :a-panic:

Jokes aside, I think you should bite the bullet this weekend!  [nod]

No wonder some of my friends secured their COEs at the 1st and 2nd bids for non guaranteed 6 & 8 bid COEs over the last 2 bids.

There must be  a reason why the car distributors are so eager to secure the COEs, although the new cars have not arrived in Singapore, for both Japanese and Korean makes.

Edited by Vinceng

Don;t be so negative

This serves to enourage couples to engage in extra cirriculum activities at night with their lawful spouse. [laugh]

good. they better rebate the entire coe sum of my car to me in cash

CEVS is already scheduled for an update on 1st July 2017

The previous CEVS update made the current CEVS policy valid from 1 july 2015 to 30 June 2017.

Therefore unlilkely they will change it so abruptly now. too much instability just to implement it a few months earlier

If they stick to the timeline, yes CEVs might not be the major factor. I suppose it has to be something dealers and buyers must adjust to comply with the COE bidding. I don't think road tax, fuel tax change will have that impact because in the sales agreement, don't think you can cancel the purchase order it if there is a change in road tax or fuel tax. So buyer either forfeit their deposit or carry on with the purchase.

Frankly.... when the MIW wants to get something done.....the reasons they come up with is just a formality. They don't need to justify why shorten the scheduled timeline.

Of course, like i already said, my point is not on their ability to do it.

i know they can most certainly do that, I'm not questioning their ability to do it, not asking them to justify it neither

my point is that they have no incentive or need or urgency to do it so abruptly, cause it will just look bad on them.

Government stability is one of the pillars of a stable economy. Since they committed to this themselves, I believe they will see through it

All the current cars and current inventory imported by dealership and PIs till today under the current CEVS assumption will be challenged overnight. for what? to save the environment? 

Edited by TangoElite
  • Praise 2

My guess is one of the changes will be on private hire, maybe limiting the way they bid for coe which in turn affect the growth rate of their fleets. This could be a move to protect taxi drivers. But changes should not be drastic because heard from news the govt welcome private hirers too and instead they will encourage taxi drivers to retrain and pick up new skills to earn a living.

Having said these.. should i hoot now? Dilema!

My guess is one of the changes will be on private hire, maybe limiting the way they bid for coe which in turn affect the growth rate of their fleets. This could be a move to protect taxi drivers. But changes should not be drastic because heard from news the govt welcome private hirers too and instead they will encourage taxi drivers to retrain and pick up new skills to earn a living.

Having said these.. should i hoot now? Dilema!

Are you on the sidelines waiting to enter? have you decided which car?

I think you should hold out till monday before deciding, especially if you going for CAT A car

best is to get into very advance negotiation with your SE this weekend, just short of signing and placing your deposit.

and once announce on Monday, be ready to decide or action on Tuesday

So much speculation on this thread and the Budget thread.. 

Maybe some fella forget to set the website for bidding on Wednesday, and there's really nothing negative in the budget on cars...

Or I am merely dreaming  [laugh]

Just be glad that I have a ride.. 

Once announce the deal will be very different already.

Anything discussed prior will be off the table pending "management decision".

I think you should hold out till monday before deciding, especially if you going for CAT A car

best is to get into very advance negotiation with your SE this weekend, just short of signing and placing your deposit.

I m waiting to see the altis facelift and might go for that instead of the current model. Also shortlisted the k3 and mazda3.

Quite undecided yet...

But they did remove taxis from COE bidding in the past, so this time could be Uber/Grab and other PH players.  Fingers crossed for all new bidders!

28 Jul 2012 | Local News : Singapore

LTA has announced today the removal of Taxis during the bidding process of COE's from next month to compliment Singapore's move towards a lower vehicle growth.

Taxis will be removed from the Certificates of Entitlement (COE) bidding process from next month, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) announced today.

As LTA is encouraging Singapore towards a lower vehicle growth, LTA has noticed the taxi operators influence on COE prices, as they have been taking up a larger proportion, up to 25 percent of Cat A COE’s in recent times. Currently, taxi operators bid for a new COE or pay Prevailing Quota Premiums (PQP) though the latter is only allowed when a new taxi replaces a deregistered one within six months.

6475_p1_s_2.jpgUnder the new move, taxi operators will pay for COEs based on the Prevailing Quota Premiums (PQP) of CAT A, under the Vehicle Quota System. The PQP is a three month average average of COE prices. This is regardless whether the new taxi is a replacement for a deregistered one or for fleet expansion.

Additionally COEs used for fleet expansion will be taken from the CAT E, Open Category. 

"This is more reflective of the role of taxis in our public transport system and it is more equitable to use CAT E quotas that are contributed by all vehicle types, rather than drawing solely from CAT A quotas," says LTA in a statement.

LTA is in discussion with taxi operators regarding the proposed changes while it requires operators to meet new taxi availability standards from January next year.  More details regarding the change will be provided early next month. This ensures enough cab's are available to meet customer demand. According to transport minister Lui Tuck Yew, there are 5 taxis per 1,000 people here, a ratio three times higher than the city of New York, double of Hong Kong and fifty percent more than London.    

"Eventually we intend also to link taxi operators getting COEs to expand their fleet, to their meeting taxi availability standards. This will be implemented from January 2014," commented the LTA.

This new change in COE practise does not affect the revised COE quotas for the next six months that were announced earlier.

↡ Advertisement