New 2018 VW AhTiong (Arteon)

Mockngbrd

As the saying tasty food not healthy and healthy food are not tasty.

VW is very much a nice and comfortable to drive and be in in terms of power, handling, NVH and gadgets (when they are working fine) if you had driven and had sat in one before. To me they are the "finer things" at a fraction of the cost compared to Merc, BMW and Audi. It that their reliability needs to be proven.

Having owned 2 Citroens - C4GP and C5 Exclusive, I can also say their design are the "finer things" in life such as the double layer window for noise reduction, sound of the signal lights (low bass tik tok tik tok), closing of the car doors, soft damping of the glove compartment that comes with cooler box, etc. Toyotas and the Nissans are the "smoother things" in life as they seldom break down as in the general opinion.

My current ride is a Passat which has been problem free for the past 1.25 years. I once had a Corolla G9 which I changed in a year because it was involved in an accident which the more than half of bonnet was crumpled and yet the air bag was not even deployed. Some of the luxury brands for e.g. Range Rover and BMW do break down very often (sorry, this is hear say as I do not own them before) but they are also very desirable.

Apologises if my own perception of "finer things" sounds very weird to you.

First few years is always a joy to drive.

The problem and repair come in waves after the 8th year.

I was driving a Caddy for personal use and my friend driving a Passat too.

Both of us gave up our rides before the 10th year. My friend spent more than $10K on repairs, the final straw is engine problem.

Replacing parts which we have never heard before...haha.

Do enjoy your ride and hope you change car before the 8th year...haha.

Edited by Fcw75
↡ Advertisement

As the saying tasty food not healthy and healthy food are not tasty.

VW is very much a nice and comfortable to drive and be in in terms of  power, handling, NVH and gadgets (when they are working fine) if you had driven and had sat in one before.  To me they are the "finer things" at a fraction of the cost compared to Merc, BMW and Audi.  It that their reliability needs to be proven.

Having owned 2 Citroens - C4GP and C5 Exclusive, I can also say their design are the "finer things" in life such as the double layer window for noise reduction, sound of the signal lights (low bass tik tok tik tok), closing of the car doors, soft damping of the glove compartment that comes with cooler box, etc.  Toyotas and the Nissans are the "smoother things" in life as they seldom break down as in the general opinion. 

My current ride is a Passat which has been problem free for the past 1.25 years.  I once had a Corolla G9 which I changed in a year because it was involved in an accident which the more than half of bonnet was crumpled and yet the air bag was not even deployed.  Some of the luxury brands for e.g. Range Rover and BMW do break down very often (sorry, this is hear say as I do not own them before) but they are also very desirable.

Don't need to apologise. Everyone defines 'finer things' differently. Car ownership does involve some luck. if you are unlucky with one brand, you may condemn the brand for life. Others may not experience the same as you. 

Judging by the number of Golf i see on the road, i'm sure there is a good amount of VW fanbase in singapore. Golf could well be their ''finer things'' in life.

Don't need to apologise. Everyone defines 'finer things' differently. Car ownership does involve some luck. if you are unlucky with one brand, you may condemn the brand for life. Others may not experience the same as you.

Judging by the number of Golf i see on the road, i'm sure there is a good amount of VW fanbase in singapore. Golf could well be their ''finer things'' in life.

To the mostly lower-middle class (<$500K pa income, per MCF standards
  • Dislike 1

First few years is always a joy to drive.

The problem and repair come in waves after the 8th year.

I was driving a Caddy for personal use and my friend driving a Passat too.

Both of us gave up our rides before the 10th year. My friend spent more than $10K on repairs, the final straw is engine problem.

Replacing parts which we have never heard before...haha.

Do enjoy your ride and hope you change car before the 8th year...haha.

Well, there are people who care only about the destination rather than the journey while the other group will value the journey more than the destination. I belong to the later.  If the car break down, I will send to the workshop knowing it covered by warranty although some inconveniences are caused.  In any case, I am enjoying the ride every other (working) day.

Btw, I have never heard of any car which can last entire 10 years without breaking down before or no need to replace any parts. 

Thanks for the well wishes.  I have yet to own a car for more than 3.5 years and 8 years seems like very long indeed.  if situation permits, maybe I will change before the warranty is up. 

Haha ok la, I'm been driving VW for 10 years liao still haven't encounter major on the road issues. But the usual water pump, fuel pump, and relays just change when needed loh. Also overhauled GB once. All in all still happy with it, that's why i'm onto my 2nd VW now [:p]

It depends on which model you got.

Those mexico build are plagued with quality issues.

As the saying tasty food not healthy and healthy food are not tasty.

VW is very much a nice and comfortable to drive and be in in terms of  power, handling, NVH and gadgets (when they are working fine) if you had driven and had sat in one before.  To me they are the "finer things" at a fraction of the cost compared to Merc, BMW and Audi.  It that their reliability needs to be proven.

Having owned 2 Citroens - C4GP and C5 Exclusive, I can also say their design are the "finer things" in life such as the double layer window for noise reduction, sound of the signal lights (low bass tik tok tik tok), closing of the car doors, soft damping of the glove compartment that comes with cooler box, etc.  Toyotas and the Nissans are the "smoother things" in life as they seldom break down as in the general opinion. 

My current ride is a Passat which has been problem free for the past 1.25 years.  I once had a Corolla G9 which I changed in a year because it was involved in an accident which the more than half of bonnet was crumpled and yet the air bag was not even deployed.  Some of the luxury brands for e.g. Range Rover and BMW do break down very often (sorry, this is hear say as I do not own them before) but they are also very desirable.

so here lies the definition.

If you meant material grade, then VW used better material for creature comfort.

If you meant in terms of reliability, depends on the model you bought.

In a nutshell, whats there not to like about VW.

But in terms of price for a VW Arteon at 220 K, you have a wider range of cars .

If its product is really good, the sales volume will speaks for itself.

• Praise 2

so here lies the definition.

If you meant material grade, then VW used better material for creature comfort.

If you meant in terms of reliability, depends on the model you bought.

In a nutshell, whats there not to like about VW.

But in terms of price for a VW Arteon at 220 K, you have a wider range of cars .

If its product is really good, the sales volume will speaks for itself.

$220k? 9/10 will go for 3-series or C-class la

unless die die want bigger cabin size

in spore who need such a big cabin size

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

$220k? 9/10 will go for 3-series or C-class la

unless die die want bigger cabin size

in spore who need such a big cabin size

There are people who were CON vince that you already pay for the COE. Must buy the biggest car to make up for the space. So like buffet .. pay one price, eat all the lobsters and oyster and prawns only.

Lugging empty space and paying more for petrol is something no one ever consider, and thats quite a pity.

There are people who were CON vince that you already pay for the COE. Must buy the biggest car to make up for the space. So like buffet .. pay one price, eat all the lobsters and oyster and prawns only.

Lugging empty space and paying more for petrol is something no one ever consider, and thats quite a pity.

but there is also 9/10 want blue/white and 3-point star logo on the front and rear leh ... lol
  • Praise 1

It depends on which model you got.

Those mexico build are plagued with quality issues.

Yeah I've avoided the 7spd DQ200 so my experience will not be as "traumatic". My passat was 1.8T 6 spd Aisin GB so it was relatively fuss free until 150k when I had it overhauled. Driving CC now GTI engine and 6spd dsg works like a charm. So yah, I'm a happy VW driver [:p]

Maybe few years later will be driving the AhTiong since it's successor to the CC. Hope the price will come down to a more sane level then.

• Praise 2

but there is also 9/10 want blue/white and 3-point star logo on the front and rear leh ... lol

not forgetting the occasional 4 rings that has the smallest engine.

Something like the 70s Datsun 100A. Comes in 1.5 in japan and 1,000 cc in SG. But in terms of size and price. the other options were the Daihatsu Charades

Yeah I've avoided the 7spd DQ200 so my experience will not be as "traumatic". My passat was 1.8T 6 spd Aisin GB so it was relatively fuss free until 150k when I had it overhauled. Driving CC now GTI engine and 6spd dsg works like a charm. So yah, I'm a happy VW driver [:p]

Maybe few years later will be driving the AhTiong since it's successor to the CC. Hope the price will come down to a more sane level then.

that model weak link is the steering rack mount and the occasional boost leak.

Best of all is if any jap can rear ended you, good luck to them.

I encountered one where the tell tale sign of a rear ended accident requires me to "proof" and show to the insurer where the scratch marks were as compared to the civic which was badly damage. Lucky I had taken pics.

Just to be safe, I am not a hater nor supporter. Just sharing what is either good or bad about the car with no vested interest other then community bonding.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 3

Vw always got transmission issues. Even back dan with the 01M (4speed auto) it will often be stuck in a gear and neither shift up nor down. You can still drive it. Now....

To those who call us critics or haters, what do you call yourself? Faulty gearbox lovers? FYI we are not haters. We are just pointing out the obvious. We don't love or hate vw. We just wonder why ppl still buy them after so many years.

Actually, I am also what many in MCF would deem a VW hater! :D

My early-90's VW was a 2L Manual tranny

Edited by merc280v6
  • Dislike 1

But for $200k....??

the spec level and car size are equivalent to a bmw 530 or  merc e300 which cost about 70-80k more

though not as atas, some will say why not?????

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1