VW Golf 2017

therock

Both oso Cat A (<130bhp)... Separate note, A3 1.0L engine is really not bad... Tried 210km/h on NSHW...

210 on a 1.0? Tink your engine will kaput b4 ur DSG.....LOL
  • Praise 1

Looking at golf GTI or Mini cooper S for the next replacement in 1.5yrs time.....so far seem like the gear box will be the main consideration when it comes to the final decision.

Looking at golf GTI or Mini cooper S for the next replacement in 1.5yrs time.....so far seem like the gear box will be the main consideration when it comes to the final decision.

Bro wetz DSG ok lah. Was pretty happy w the smoothness and responsiveness my GTI's 6-spd wet that I accidentally became a VAG convert haha

Don't understand why they cannot use one proper reliable gear box for all the golf models.....how much savings can they achieve considering the amount of warranty claims they need to handle.

Anyway, will get myself updated on the latest development when the time nears. Must at least own ( arguably) the most iconic golf model at least once..... :D

Bro wetz DSG ok lah. Was pretty happy w the smoothness and responsiveness my GTI's 6-spd wet that I accidentally became a VAG convert haha

I actually like the A3, and the Golf has solid build, so it's no wonder that they sold so many in SG and elsewhere.

If they get the gearbox sorted, it will be another big seller. Not too much other issues with either car.

There are plenty of external workshops that can service VW / Audi cars, so both B&B as well as premium car buyers can get this..

Well - it could be a parody of life, you know. Goes to show that you can't have everything in life that's perfect. There has to be just that one little niggle that makes it "human".

If we had the perfect car, then they wouldn't be able to sell anything else.

Have had at least 3 friends on dry clutch down with faulty mecha due to dry clutch issue... It's a known issue wit dry clutch... Clutch wear is another issue separately.

Then its the mecha tats faulty, not the clutch. The clutch cannot damage the mecha.

Yeah. Key word is "very much less" for wet clutch. Btw, those friends having dry clutch mecha failure, A3s 1.4L around 2-3 years of usage. Really too soon and too often...

It’s the clutch tat wears out. Like brake pads wear out. U simply replace it. Cost about 2k as there r two clutches. The dry clutch itself doesn’t present any issue any different from brake pads. Perhaps u like to elaborate wat issue exactly the dry clutch gives tat isn’t wear n tear

Then its the mecha tats faulty, not the clutch. The clutch cannot damage the mecha.

It’s the clutch tat wears out. Like brake pads wear out. U simply replace it. Cost about 2k as there r two clutches. The dry clutch itself doesn’t present any issue any different from brake pads. Perhaps u like to elaborate wat issue exactly the dry clutch gives tat isn’t wear n tear

Premium Auto replies it's a common dry clutch issue that created the heat that failed the mechatronic... Whatever that means...

Premium Auto replies it's a common dry clutch issue that created the heat that failed the mechatronic... Whatever that means...

It's nice they have given a reason, but making sure there's a solution or making a product that doesn't have such an issue is more important..

It's nice they have given a reason, but making sure there's a solution or making a product that doesn't have such an issue is more important..

PA will just tell u it's inherent manufacturer's issue... Nothing they can do except just change mecha n clutch, if under warranty its free but they will not provide further warranty on the new mecha/clutch which sux... 

the mecha unit consist of cpu, sensors, actuators and some other parts. Actually, the dry dual clutch is more like a manual transmission than the wet clutch. 

it doesn't sound logical that heat from the clutch causes the mecha unit to fail. The mecha itself is a self contained unit. if anything, it's more likely the heat within the mecha itself is causing the breakdown for whatever reason. 

it could help if gearbox fluids are replaced regularly, ard 40k. not sure if vw recommends such things. 

lastly, vw isn't the only car that uses dual clutch currently. Alfa uses it too. haven't really heard of any mecha unit issues. i know the gearbox manufacturers are different. but then, Getrag makes for lambo as well so it can't be tat bad. 

• Praise 1

Dry clutch is fine, only when the total surface area are properly rated to take the wear and tear. For example having a 12 inch clutch plate in comparison to 8.5 inch. I suppose 12 inch can last longer due to larger area.

Both oso Cat A (<130bhp)... Separate note, A3 1.0L engine is really not bad... Tried 210km/h on NSHW... 

thats quite outstanding

Any impression overtaking from 120 to 160km.h

I always worry about those tour coach hugging my rear

Dry clutch is fine, only when the total surface area are properly rated to take the wear and tear. For example having a 12 inch clutch plate in comparison to 8.5 inch. I suppose 12 inch can last longer due to larger area.

the concern here is not the wear rate of dry clutch, but the mecha unit failing. 

• Praise 1

Why not get the golf R? Lol how come settle for 2nd best.

the mecha unit consist of cpu, sensors, actuators and some other parts. Actually, the dry dual clutch is more like a manual transmission than the wet clutch.

it doesn't sound logical that heat from the clutch causes the mecha unit to fail. The mecha itself is a self contained unit. if anything, it's more likely the heat within the mecha itself is causing the breakdown for whatever reason.

it could help if gearbox fluids are replaced regularly, ard 40k. not sure if vw recommends such things.

lastly, vw isn't the only car that uses dual clutch currently. Alfa uses it too. haven't really heard of any mecha unit issues. i know the gearbox manufacturers are different. but then, Getrag makes for lambo as well so it can't be tat bad.

the story as i know is the whole mecha unit is immersed together in a circulating oil bath for proper cooling for the wet clutch but not for the dry clutch

without the oil bath, the repeated stress from multiple heating and cooling cycles will cause the mecha unit in the dry clutch to break down much quicker.

replacing the fluid in the dry clutch more regularly may not help as it is an inherent design flaw

for wet clutch, gearbox fluid is recommended to change every 60k km while no such recommendation for oil change in the dry clutch

Edited by Enye

the story as i know is the whole mecha unit is immersed together in a circulating oil bath for proper cooling for the wet clutch but not for the dry clutch

without the oil bath, the repeated stress from multiple heating and cooling cycles will cause the mecha unit in the dry clutch to break down much quicker.

replacing the fluid in the dry clutch more regularly may not help as it is an inherent design flaw

for wet clutch, gearbox fluid is recommended to change every 60k km while no such recommendation for oil change in the dry clutch

Edited by Felipe
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1