Why everyone mean and stupid and getting worse...

Jungus

Supercharged

writing A level GP papers?

mai arh nee kwan lah.

the writer is one of FT chief leader writers leh.

I guess to really appreciate the article, reading the various book and academic papers of the different people he did his research on will make the article a better read.

but gleaming from his summary, he is not wrong in the sense that in today's world, we are building a wall around ourselves to collate information that we selectively want to accept and then perpetuate it further with our own strong opinions about. Something like a ripple effect.

Interesting read. much food for thought.

• Praise 3

Meanness I can understand cos it's probably always been there... [:)]

But stupid is surprising...

Maybe they don't know and think they are very smart.

:D

5ea7bdca0e380defbb39fcebc5ebaf042c2bc987

The points I took from that article:

- Internet gives us more info than ever before

- A lot of this info not necessarily true

- Humans being humans, they will believe what they want to believe, based on conditions (upbringing, surroundings etc)

- People will feel very strongly about things they 'think' will affect them (healthcare, environment, water, taxes etc)

- So when people feel very strongly about things, they tend to have strong opinions (and now actions)

- Then they go read up more on these things, and find the info they want to support their stand, not necessarily the truth

- It becomes a vicious cycle, as people buy into conspiracy theories to support their thinking. These builds walls and lead to closed thinking, and people who disagree are seen as 'stupid' or 'disbelievers', and it eventually becomes 'us vs them'.

Edited by Benarsenal
  • Praise 4

ð +1

I'm also super stressed. Want to get in shape... but told by friends cannot eat this, cannot eat that, must go slog in gym for hours than can get six pack.

ð°

Vegetarian is the way to go
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1