Photography Chat

therock

Have camera, will shoot, and eat too 

I believe that each photo we take should have a meaning or story behind it..

Well it was a short holiday and my friends and I decided to take a trip to Sorak San - or Mt Sorak in S Korea.

It wasn't a hard climb - I was young back then, and I went ahead of the group.. so I reached the top and rested at a waterfall. I passed three lovely ladies and a young man struggling with a rather large backpack as I went up and they were the next people to reach the resting point.

As I sat there, cooling my feet off in the cold waters, a one of the Korean ladies came up and offered me some of her food, which the young man had taken out of his backpack. It was a nice box of onigiri, and I thanked her, and proceeded to fish out my camera.

She looked at it, and seemed to understand my gesticulations about taking her photo and ran off, back to the backpack and began rummaging over the contents. I was a little puzzled and wondered if it was rude to offer to take her photo.

After a few minutes, she found a box, and began doing her face, and when she was done, she ran back and smiled at me... ah... it dawned on me that no self-respecting Korean lady would be caught on film without her make up and she wanted to look her best for the shot..

So I took this shot:

Seoul2008116.jpg

She also beckoned her friends over and they also rummaged frenetically through the man's backpack and each fished out a make up kit. So I took a bunch of photos of some lovely Korean gals with the background of a waterfall. I don't think I have had such luck with our local gals, so that was indeed a 300% improvement indeed.

Now somehow as I clicked on my camera, I noticed that there was a rather sinister evil stare, and it came from the young Korean man, who had probably planned this excursion, carried up all that food, makeup kit and all, only for a foreign chap to come and steal his beauties away with his Nikon..

Well, I am grateful for all that time I spent in the photo studio, learning my craft back in school, but I never imagined that photography would one day help me get the girl  [laugh]

Actually hardly what ppl would call it make up coz no lipstick, blushes or eyeliner/shadow....just foundation cream/powder to cover the flaws on her skin....you know....freckles and acne scars. My wife told me wan.

There are quite a few sites on photography but unfortunately they become less active over time. One of key issue with such forums is because of inexperienced overly controlled moderators.

One of the most popular but again is getting less active is

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/index.php

I have gotten a lot of tips from this site.

Shouldnt this topic in hobby section?

Anyway, I use Microsoft Office and Windows Paint to resize or crop photos. [grin] Now learning to use PhotoScape, free software. I dont do any touch up to my photos. I prefer the photo in its original form.

Currently my most used camera is my Samsung S6 handphone. [laugh] However if I am travelling, will bring my Sony NEX5n.

Shouldnt this topic in hobby section?

Anyway, I use Microsoft Office and Windows Paint to resize or crop photos. [grin] Now learning to use PhotoScape, free software. I dont do any touch up to my photos. I prefer the photo in its original form.

Currently my most used camera is my Samsung S6 handphone. [laugh] However if I am travelling, will bring my Sony NEX5n.

i use my hp most of the time. traveling, also use S6 for selfie or family photos.

I've been a photog enthusiast on and off over the years. Big reason for trying again and again is probably my older bro who takes photos for a living in Sydney. 

Over the years, I've gone through phases of owning and later selling the camera with all of it's lenses... had a nice Nikon F501 in late 90s. Later when digital came, it was the Canon 300D first and a 450D later. Last DSLR was a Nikon D7000 with a bunch of nice lenses... not kit lenses mind you. Sold after a couple of years... and money lost again

post-46412-0-33827000-1490750719_thumb.jpg

post-46412-0-57840100-1490750729_thumb.jpg

post-46412-0-60943700-1490750737_thumb.jpg

Edited by ins1dious
  • Praise 3

I've been a photog enthusiast on and off over the years. Big reason for trying again and again is probably my older bro who takes photos for a living in Sydney. 

Over the years, I've gone through phases of owning and later selling the camera with all of it's lenses... had a nice Nikon F501 in late 90s. Later when digital came, it was the Canon 300D first and a 450D later. Last DSLR was a Nikon D7000 with a bunch of nice lenses... not kit lenses mind you. Sold after a couple of years... and money lost again

An example of what Albert taught me

01cf2903c3d90ff40989a1bd607d0995.jpg

Lighting: no sunlight. Just at night turn on the ceiling light. Max out the ceiling light because need the light to guide the auto focus

Flash (3 units): off camera, manual, 1/16, 35mm (or whichever widest, 1unit point at ceiling, two units point direct at children

Camera: ai servo, manual, 1/160, f4, iso400

Ask the kids the jump

Edited by Mustank

Do u use umbrellas?

An example of what Albert taught me
01cf2903c3d90ff40989a1bd607d0995.jpg

Lighting: no sunlight. Just at night turn on the ceiling light. Max out the ceiling light because need the light to guide the auto focus
Flash (3 units): off camera, manual, 1/16, 35mm (or whichever widest, 1unit point at ceiling, two units point direct at children
Camera: ai servo, manual, 1/160, f4, iso400
Ask the kids the jump

Do u use umbrellas?

No umbrella

For these type you need direct flash

Because on the camera side, the tap is tightened until very tight: 1/160, iso400, f4. Of course then tighten somemore if flash is too strong

I found out that my flash can do consecutive 7 shots if set at 1/16 power. This is just nice for my body because it can only do about 7-10shots continuous

If flash can do 15 continuous at full power, body can tighten until iso50, f8, 1/160

But I do use a light stand/clip because if want the flash to come down on the kids from my top left and top right

Edited by Mustank

why olympus?

my friends are on Sony or Fujifilm.

It was a toss-up between the Oly and the Fuji X-T10. Price very similar. And I really really loved the jpeg and the 18-55 f2.8-4 lens on the Fuji.

In the end, the Oly won cos it was smaller/cheaper, preferred how the dials felt around the hand... and most importantly, had godly in-body stabilisation. 

The Fuji lenses are lauded... but I can get a wider variety with Oly and Panasonic M4/3 lenses which were just as sharp and lot smaller.

This has been a cheap setup... $1,500 for the Oly body with its kit pancake 14-44 and the 17/f1.8 lenses. Both damn tiny... 

Here with it's pancake lens... oh yea... mustn't forget 70 bucks for the peak design strap

post-46412-0-84701500-1490753440_thumb.jpg

Edited by ins1dious
  • Praise 3

It was a toss-up between the Oly and the Fuji X-T10. Price very similar. And I really really loved the jpeg and the 18-55 f2.8-4 lens on the Fuji.

In the end, the Oly won cos it was smaller/cheaper, preferred how the dials felt around the hand... and most importantly, had godly in-body stabilisation. 

The Fuji lenses are lauded... but I can get a wider variety with Oly and Panasonic M4/3 lenses which were just as sharp and lot smaller.

This has been a cheap setup... $1,500 for the Oly body with its kit pancake 14-44 and the 17/f1.8 lenses. Both damn tiny... 

Thanks for explaining.

I was considering a mirrorless to play around, but then my D600 would be neglected. And also cos i like bounce flash effect indoors

I don't sell my equipment usually. My 24-120 is already neglected. 

So now, travel or special occasions, just bring D600 + 50mm. And HP for the rest!

• Praise 1

Thanks for explaining.

I was considering a mirrorless to play around, but then my D600 would be neglected. And also cos i like bounce flash effect indoors

I don't sell my equipment usually. My 24-120 is already neglected. 

So now, travel or special occasions, just bring D600 + 50mm. And HP for the rest!

I get what you mean by neglected... I was tired of coming back home from work to look at the dry cabinet with the camera and lenses... felt guilty not shooting but with it just sitting there... so when selling... have to suck thumb and let go at a less than ideal price... sad for me.

Earlier, when my two older girls were still young and the twins were babies... it was a hassle even thinking about taking a DSLR out... there's just way too many stuff for me to carry

• Praise 1

I get what you mean by neglected... I was tired of coming back home from work to look at the dry cabinet with the camera and lenses... felt guilty not shooting but with it just sitting there... so when selling... have to suck thumb and let go at a less than ideal price... sad for me.

Earlier, when my two older girls were still young and the twins were babies... it was a hassle even thinking about taking a DSLR out... there's just way too many stuff for me to carry

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement