Garmen tackling fake news trolls beware

Staff69

Too late liao.

Why too late? Come next GE tell them your view. I will do so. I hate redifusion. Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 1

Why too late? Come next GE tell them your view. I will do so. I hate redifusion.

Going back to redifusion means everyone have to surrender smart phone.

Maybe MIW built an internet island

PTC Chairman: Commuters spoken to were âquite happy to bear higher faresâ

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/public-transport-fare-formula-revised-amid-rising-costs-ptc-090126530.html

Isn't the statement above fake news!!!!!?????

It's not necessarily fake.

They could have interviewed commuters who were ownself interview ownself (smrt staff going home on mrt fill out survey form)

They could have asked misleading questions (would you be willing to pay more if you can get better service? Most will put yes because it's reasonable and the news will put people are willing to pay more. BTW trains breaking down twice a week now breaking down once a week IS better service ).

That's y in court you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Cos it is possible to tell truth without telling the whole truth or truth with some lies (but it's still the truth, just not the whole truth or nothing but the truth)

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Fake news is what the people in power decides it's fake.

Yes, just like how Trump starts it.

Some people just like to follow Trump. 

They could have interviewed commuters who were ownself interview ownself (smrt staff going home on mrt fill out survey form)

They could have asked misleading questions (would you be willing to pay more if you can get better service? Most will put yes because it's reasonable and the news will put people are willing to pay more. BTW trains breaking down twice a week now breaking down once a week IS better service ).

That's y in court you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Cos it is possible to tell truth without telling the whole truth or truth with some lies (but it's still the truth, just not the whole truth or nothing but the truth)

"Would you pay more for better service or pay more for worse service?"

A silly question gets a silly answer.  [grin]

From Alfian Sa’at FB:

I don't understand why the Select Committee hearings on Deliberate Online Falsehoods have to be so ugly.

What I see are some activists and academics trying to give their views in good faith. But rather than being listened to like citizens representing the spectrum of political views in Singapore society, they are instead treated with sneering hostility, as if they were not witnesses giving evidence but the accused.

It seems as if the effect is to intimidate those with contrary views from making submissions to the government in the future. How can this ever be good for Singapore? How can you encourage Singaporeans to engage in civil public discourse when you turn consultation sessions into cross examinations?

But I have to say that if anything, the way some of the respondents--like Pingtjin Thum and Kirsten Han--have carried themselves have been exemplary. They were patient, dignified, composed, in spite of the disgraceful baiting they were subjected to, the shameful ad hominem attacks, finding themselves in an absurd, unanticipated position: that in taking a stand on an issue they were instead forced to take the stand. These people exemplified grace under pressure. They represent what I love best about Singapore.

I wouldn't know how I would have reacted myself if the session turned into a grilling session on something I had written some time ago, or was based on articles which I had not even read myself. While my inquisitors read robotically from their prepared notes, quite possibly put together by the many staff at their disposal (imagine how sinister it would be if the real reason they kept postponing PJ's appearance was because they needed more time for their minions to comb through his research papers), under the delusion that they are making their harshest critics squirm, and probably oblivious to how it's the public that's squirming at their showboating.

I think I would have walked out with a 'bitch, I did not sign up for this, mmmkay?' But the fact that those others persisted and stayed on showed not just their courage and tenacity but also reflected how difficult it is to get the ears of the government if you're not singing their tune. The Parliament Chamber is the biggest echo chamber in Singapore, and if any member gives you space for a hearing, you seize it for all it's worth.

But what do we gain from this vengeful, gladiatorial attempt to even political scores? Have we become any wiser on the nature of 'falsehoods'--how they can be weaponised by foreign agents, for example, to polarise views and destabilise society (on for example, Singapore-China relations)? Or even how 'fake news legislation' can itself be weaponised to stifle real debate on 'sensitive' issues like PAP's political succession? Imagine how convenient it would be for the government to cry 'fake news' every time Lee Wei Ling says something that could embarrass her 'dishonorable son' of a brother.

There's something really tragic in the sight of Shanmugam behaving in such a pugnacious, patronising manner, looking like he's trying to do an LKY, and probably thinking he is the real heir to a certain aspect of the latter's legacy because of their shared background in litigation. A legacy of leadership not by moral example but by trying to make an example of others. The more I keep watching Shanmugam in action, the more I ask, 'what is wrong with this man?' He represents what I detest most about Singapore, or specifically its political 'leadership'.

• Praise 6

Why the survey done by ntuc on gst jncrease wasn't reveal much earlier after the "sorry" demand episode. Very stupid. Really disgraceful.

This smrt positive survey so diligently reveal to general public?

Something cooking?

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/shanmugam-historian-thum-ping-tjin-spar-communist-activities-1950s-1960s-123507433.html

Shanmugam, historian Thum Ping Tjin spar over communist activities in 1950s-1960 for 6 hrs.

Thum should have told that sham.

" My work withstand peer review by historians, your are not a neutral party at all and you're not qualified to make such allegations, you are trying to propagate fake news for political payback, please do not derail the purpose of this event."

Why the survey done by ntuc on gst jncrease wasn't reveal much earlier after the "sorry" demand episode. Very stupid. Really disgraceful.

This smrt positive survey so diligently reveal to general public?

Something cooking?

The wp has pretam in the select committee, he really should have made this a point.

The sorry demand and allegations were fake news propagation.

WP also need to stand up and not just take hits quietly.

Thum should have told that sham.

" My work withstand peer review by historians, your are not a neutral party at all and you're not qualified to make such allegations, you are trying to propagate fake news for political payback, please do not derail the purpose of this event."

The wp has pretam in the select committee, he really should have made this a point.

The sorry demand and allegations were fake news propagation.

WP also need to stand up and not just take hits quietly.

Yes too soft approach by WP. They should retaliate by making disgraceful even more disgrace. I like this approach. Edited by Kopites

is really a bit koo koo.  see him whack AMDK still sibeh keh yan.  but see him whack historian until boh por, really start to get a bit embarrassing for the SG institution.

and charles chong clearly cannot control him.  The Chair is really as about as useful as a chair lor.   

Supercharged

Rename out media to gold 90.5fm. Hear only the good things.

And the reasom why i never listen to gold 90.5...

Coz i was lied to... i dun get to hear many good things

Edited by Spurman

A lot of times, ppl might conduct survey with certain outcomes in mind.

Leading questions will be set to ensure that outcomes is achieved.

This is another form of fake news.

Rename out media to gold 90.5fm. Hear only the good things.

And the reasom why i never listen to gold 90.5...

Coz i was lied to... i dun get to hear many good things

I had stopped watching MediaCorp & listening to Mediacorp/SPH.

ST/zaobao/wanbao are just of 1 of my news feed.

• Praise 2

Yes too soft approach by WP. They should retaliate by making disgraceful even more disgrace. I like this approach.

As Pritam is not Chairman of the committee, I don't think he could manage behaviour of fellow member.

Otherwise, it will become a sideshow of Shan vs Pritam.

(edited)

See page B6. Han fook kwang

About the infamous 6 hour sham personal concert.

Wow.. he actually quote thum telling sham his work is peer reviewed and no historian contradicted him.

Seems clear to me what han really thinks, but he is trying very hard not to say it.

If he had guts to actually say it, ST would not be a failing fake news distributor

Noted that he didn't dare point out the gst survey that was exposed though.

He still knows where his bread is buttered

post-7190-0-87390300-1523153335_thumb.jpg

post-7190-0-94006900-1523153353_thumb.jpg

Edited by Playtime

Turbocharged

Lol

Also heard abt the dunno what 22million loss quipped by Mr Charles Chong some time ago on some town council thingy...fake news? [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3