Sludge in brake reservoir

Alphas

I noticed some greenish sludge from inside the brake reservoir. Did not noticed any difference in braking power, brake perform very good. What is this green sludge inside the reservoir, never seen it before.

File%2016-4-17%201%2014%2036%20PM.jpeg

File%2016-4-17%201%2014%2052%20PM.jpeg

↡ Advertisement

I did add anti leak brake fluid, maybe it has solidifies to this greenish sludge. Definitely not algae, algae cannot survive on oil. Should I just leave it like this?

Moisture does get into the brake system. Whether it's rain or car wash or whatever...if much of it gets accumulated I guess algae will start to grow. That's why it's good to schedule a brake fluid flush every 1-2 years. Some dealer workshops they don't care. Their SOP is to top up the fluid when the level is low. They don't waste time and do a flush for you coz they can't make much money out of the work.

So when you start to see your brake fluid turning black (oxidation and contamination) pls do a flush. Healthy colour should be clear or a bit yellowish. And no algae of course.

I did add anti leak brake fluid, maybe it has solidifies to this greenish sludge. Definitely not algae, algae cannot survive on oil. Should I just leave it like this?

brake fluid is not oil.

anti-leak brake fluid? never heard of it. more info pls.

yeah, I have never come across anti-leak brake fluid too. Are you sure you didn't add power steering stop leak or coolant stop leak by mistake to your brake fluid?

Maybe I recalled wrongly, but I didn't add other fluids into it. The only possibility is the brake calipers was greased a yr ago and it could be the grease getting inside. Anyway I am going to get the brake fluid flushed over the weekend so this greenish stuff shouldn't be a problem.

↡ Advertisement