2017 Skoda Karoq

Carbon82

Hi Ano727,

I cannot really compare the Karoq with the Peugeot 508SW because they are 2 very different cars, one is a compact SUV and one is a station wagon. So, i do not think it is appropriate to do this comparison.

One thing that I have learnt from these years of car ownership.. take care of your car well, send them for the scheduled servicing and maintenance needed and the car should serve you well.

I will PM you the sales person from Skoda.

Regards,

Angelo

Before getting yr new car, did u compare with any of it’s conti counterpart? How about GLA, other than price any other thing You feel better? Ty Edited by Lotr8445r
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I have test driven VW Tiguan, Seat Ateca, Mazda CX5, Peugeot 3008,& 5008. Looked at GLA but didn't go to test drive the GLA. Also, understanding GLA is based on a Mercedes A class, space will be an issue because my 2 sons & me are quite big. I actually liked the GLC but the price of GLC is way beyond my budget.

Seat Ateca - the interior plastics is not as good as Skoda. And the inner console is still the old design. My personal take is Skoda has put together a better package in Karoq.

Peugeot 3008 n 5008 interior is very nicely done and I am familiar with the Prince engine and Aisin Gearbox as I have owned the 508SW for 5 years. Decided that I like to have a change.

Test driven Mazda CX5 but find that the 2.0L engine is just so-so. Maybe I am so used to the turbo charge engine of the Peugeot 508SW ( it's a 1.6L Turbo)

Was about to sign n buy the Tiguan but Skoda gave me a very good offer which I cannot refuse. Tiguan is also a bit more expensive than Karoq and so at the end of the day, I buy what I can afford and not too taxing on my monthly installment.

Regards, Angelo.

• Praise 5

I have test driven VW Tiguan, Seat Ateca, Mazda CX5, Peugeot 3008,& 5008. Looked at GLA but didn't go to test drive the GLA. Also, understanding GLA is based on a Mercedes A class, space will be an issue because my 2 sons & me are quite big. I actually liked the GLC but the price of GLC is way beyond my budget.

Seat Ateca - the interior plastics is not as good as Skoda. And the inner console is still the old design. My personal take is Skoda has put together a better package in Karoq.

Peugeot 3008 n 5008 interior is very nicely done and I am familiar with the Prince engine and Aisin Gearbox as I have owned the 508SW for 5 years. Decided that I like to have a change.

Test driven Mazda CX5 but find that the 2.0L engine is just so-so. Maybe I am so used to the turbo charge engine of the Peugeot 508SW ( it's a 1.6L Turbo)

Was about to sign n buy the Tiguan but Skoda gave me a very good offer which I cannot refuse. Tiguan is also a bit more expensive than Karoq and so at the end of the day, I buy what I can afford and not too taxing on my monthly installment.

Regards, Angelo.

Thanks. I saw quite a number of buyer typically comment Skoda give good offer. Some even say trade in their car at depreciation rate. Too bad i dont have such luck.

By the way, u don’t feel that koraq is a size smaller than Tiguan & GLC? That is why i compare it with GLA instead

Edited by Lotr8445r

I did testdrive today the Karoq. Thanks to friendly staff who's not trying to oversell his product.

My impressions...

It appears to be a midsize SUV due to its muscular looking front grille, but in reality, a couple of inches shorter than VW Tiguan and Subaru Forester. Inside, it is very spacious, much more interior space and legroom than Honda Vezel/HRV and Toyota CHR. Compared to Mercedez GLA, either same or slightly more spacious than GLA.

Exterior look appears bigger than it really is, perhaps the way the body lines and contour give it a bigger silhoutte. Interior finish is quite good compared to Seat Ateca (which is its twin), specially with soft rubber and good mix of black piano finish and chrome sidings to the console and aircon vents. I felt the Ateca is more plasticky.

I tried the Ambition variant which is the lower variant than Style, but the features for the lower variant are already impressive. A lot of Auto features that I haven't tested each one of them during the test drive. For example, putting the lights on AUTO means it uses LED daytime running light by default, but automatically turns on the parking light and low-beam headlight when inside the tunnel, or it gets dark due to nightime or even when it was about to rain earlier. I thought it's quite smart.The start-stop system and start-stop engine works quite well and in harmony with the rest of other parts like the radio, the aircon, the locks, etc. Even locking and unlocking does not require taking out the remote key, and actually is quite smart how it's done. The provision of smart accessories like hooks where you need them, seats that can be reconfigured, nets to keep items in check, velcro floor holders preventing rollover of groceries, and even a penholder in the passenger compartment ensures there are no rolling noises. And under the passenger seat, there is a small umbrella. I think Skoda is quite good in these small "creature comforts". The boot is extremely spacious, probably among best in its class, especially when rear seats are reconfigured.

Connecting to Carplay is such a breeze, very similar to VW and Audi cars I have used in the past. I can't say the same for Android Auto as I only brought iPhone today. Waze over Carplay worked well. The stock car radio is decent, just need to fiddle a bit with bass/treble settings. I know that higher variant Style comes with Canton speakers which is quite good brand for car speakers.

Now to the drive itself, the staff can notice that I'm overly careful stepping on it as I know from previous cars that VW turbos are quite powerful in launching from zero. Once I hit the open road, it feels effortless to go past 100kph. Braking was confident and felt sure. After a few minutes of test drive around Leng Kee area, it shows around 8 l/km which I think is quite good with me stepping on the accelerator quite a lot.

Now the good stuff comes with some questions as well. This car uses 7-speed DSG dry clutch gearbox which historically had some issues, especially at around 75,00km mileage. VW claims it has already been addressed, and that Skodas from Czech has very limited reported issues on this. So only time will tell.

Overall, I think with the performance, looks, packaging and price, and even with a bit of question on long term reliability which only time will give a definitive answer, I would lean more on going ahead with this one over other choices in its class. This is because I had the same dry clutch gearbox earlier but experienced no issue at all until I sold that other german car. I think it's worth the money and you get more value from this one.

You might ask why not the higher variant of Karoq or why not the Kodiaq, it's simple. I have a very strict budget and I have no intention to go beyond that. The one I saw and tested is more than enough for my needs already, probably much more.  :)

I will give more detailed feedback perhaps after I sign the order form and collect one. Any question, post here or PM me. Happy to help.

• Praise 6

Thanks. I saw quite a number of buyer typically comment Skoda give good offer. Some even say trade in their car at depreciation rate. Too bad i dont have such luck.

By the way, u don’t feel that koraq is a size smaller than Tiguan & GLC? That is why i compare it with GLA instead

Hi Lotr8445r,

I think Karoq is half a size smaller than Tiguan and GLC but it is slightly more spacious inside than GLA, as far as I know.

Regards

Angelo

Is the latest or current batch of new cars with DQ200 dry clutch gearbox still showing signs of the old issues?

Or have they (VW, SKODA) already done something to improve reliability?

No issue... On Facelift A3 for 2 years using the improved DQ200 7spd dry clutch, clocked 64K km so far...

• Praise 4

Anyone noticed this noise problem during test drive or after collecting the car ? Some reviewers in youtube shared that they can hear loud noise coming from outside during drive.

Anyone has this problem ?

I am new to Conti cars and have been driving korea cars for the past 15 years.

Skoda offers 3 years free servicing, I believe that only some parts are free and some chargeable ?

What are the parts that most likely that we have to pay ?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Edited by lawcs888
  • Praise 1

Anyone noticed this noise problem during test drive or after collecting the car ? Some reviewers in youtube shared that they can hear loud noise coming from outside during drive.

Skoda offers 3 years free servicing, I believe that only some parts are free and some chargeable ?

Not for me during my TD. It's 2 years factory + 3 years extended warranty. So 5 in total. Only wear and tear parts not covered, otherwise all other major parts will be covered. Hence, it will be wear and tear components that needs replacing (brake pads etc.). 

Not for me during my TD. It's 2 years factory + 3 years extended warranty. So 5 in total. Only wear and tear parts not covered, otherwise all other major parts will be covered. Hence, it will be wear and tear components that needs replacing (brake pads etc.). 

thanks for the reply.

look forward to hear from you more after you have collected your ride.

Agreed. I also notice that when my friend hightlight the noise during his test drive. I also feel that during my driving but i am more concerns on the height of the brake. Too high for me when trying to stepping it
  • Praise 1

Just booked the Karoq over last weekend, managed to win $888 discount from the Claw machine. Keeping fingers crossed for upcoming 8 Feb bidding. Is there a Karoq owners group chat? 

Congratulations bro! When do you expect to collect your Karoq? Ambition or Style? Color?

Pls PM your sales agent details and deal you got. Thanks.

This review appeared in TORQUE, February 2019, pp 38-43

"... The Karoq is one of the strongest contender in the segment. With a strong set of features and an engaging drive, it stands out from the rest of the crowd... look no further, this one's a winner."

post-21360-0-82117900-1549383114_thumb.jpg

post-21360-0-23627900-1549383121_thumb.jpg

post-21360-0-75595200-1549383125_thumb.jpg

• Praise 2

for anyone cross shopping with a VW Tiguan, this is practically a no-brainer...

This review appeared in TORQUE, February 2019, pp 38-43

"... The Karoq is one of the strongest contender in the segment. With a strong set of features and an engaging drive, it stands out from the rest of the crowd... look no further, this one's a winner."

• Praise 2

After running more than 350km, computer shows 6.1 liters/100km. This translates to 16.4 km/liter which is very close to the claimed combined 17+ km/liter.

Nice!

The style model is almost the same price as lowest trim for superb. May i know the reason why ppls choose to get the style rather than a superb?

Or VRs
↡ Advertisement