Is Amplifier Necessary

Surf2004

Hi, I plan to install Pioneer 8850 HU with front pair of components and rear coaxial speakers. Plus an active sub. All Pioneer brand.

Is it necessary to add an amplifier ? TIA !

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

Imho, if all pioneer brands no need since u have 13-band eq & time alignment to play with. The spkrs r not as premium to need amp. Install n demod cost oso lesser. Dual layer sound proof for doors will have some diff. Also add spkr front sponge ring to help direct all sound towards door spkr grille.

That being said, I'm not audiophile type. Just can hear all vocal & musical instruments is gd enuf for me..

pioneer 8850 comes with its own amplifier but its only enough to power the stock speakers...for your case a amplifier is a must (at least is for me as everyone requirements for sound is different)

as for the active sub most comes with build in amplifier too esp those underseat woofer...

further if u r really into audio...it will b more cost efficient to upgrade amplifier first then follow by speakers...cheers n 2 cents

Depends a lot on how far u wanna go..

Work out your budget first then decide on what to do first. Doing everything 1 shot with cheaper equipments will make u upgrade very fast and that is going to cost u lots more $ in the long run.

Sometimes upgrading step by step is a nice process. Slow, but u learn and experience more and also saves you $$.

Hi, I plan to install Pioneer 8850 HU with front pair of components and rear coaxial speakers. Plus an active sub. All Pioneer brand.

Is it necessary to add an amplifier ? TIA !

Ur speakers are easy to drive type , dont need amp..
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

Not necessary

but if you have money to burn why not?

It will make your hifi sound nicer.

:D

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Your question is whether it is NECESSARY - so answer is simple: No.

But if you do install a good one then you will reap some benefits. My suggestion is don't install first and try it out. If you happy already then don't need. If after trying without amp you don't like, then you can add the amp later. 

Not that i am bashing pioneer, but i am not sure how good your pioneer speakers are. Even if you add an amp, you still may not hear much difference if you speakers not up to it. You might have considered getting better speakers in the first place.

An external amplifier is not required but it will improve the quality of the sound.

You can get entry level amps for less than SG$400 and it is worth the investment to optimise the aftermarket speakers performance. 

The idea is not to play louder but cleaner. More power helps to drive the cone of the speaker accurately. Aftermarket speakers have much larger coils and magnets than stock junk that comes with most cars as standard OEM equipment. Have a look at the difference between your new speakers and the old ones, you will be surprised by the huge gap. They are designed to response more precisely to the electrical signals there are sent to them. A weak amplifier will struggle to power the larger speaker's coil for the cone to follow that signal resulting in distorted sound. At high power this can turn into clipping, sending DC current to the coil with potential damage to the amplifier or the speaker.

For adding amp, which part of the car needs to be dismantled? The HU area only or the doors also?

Thanks.

The amp can be installed under the car seats or in the car boot (if you have space.

For adding amp, which part of the car needs to be dismantled? The HU area only or the doors also?

Thanks.

All needs to be dismantled.

Dismantle headunit area to connect RCA to amp.

Dismantle door panels so that output from amp goes straight to speakers.

Bear in mind that lots of crappy installer will not dismantle your door panel, they will just connect the wire from amp to speaker wiring at your kick panel. Meaning the connections from the speaker to amps is 2 parts, the part from the speaker side being the lousy one will greatly limit what u can achieve.

All needs to be dismantled.

Dismantle headunit area to connect RCA to amp.

Dismantle door panels so that output from amp goes straight to speakers.

Bear in mind that lots of crappy installer will not dismantle your door panel, they will just connect the wire from amp to speaker wiring at your kick panel. Meaning the connections from the speaker to amps is 2 parts, the part from the speaker side being the lousy one will greatly limit what u can achieve.

Wah, like that ah, i dont do already cos fixing the component, coaxial and tweeter speakers already heart pain....