Singapore RECKLESS drivers thread Part IV

RadX

Spoiler will be more effective, if he drives faster...

So it only proves he didn't enter the tunnel fast enough... hope he press the accelerator all the way next time...

I reckon that up to 90kph spoilers are just for looking cool.

At that speed they have no effect whatsoever.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I reckon that up to 90kph spoilers are just for looking cool.

At that speed they have no effect whatsoever.

its good to have......at least the bumper will take the initial brunt of the collision at low speed... Edited by Eviilusion

This is a famous corner.....go in too fast, you will feel floaty especially Jap car. Jam brakes, makes it worse and difficult to control. experience this before, lucky managed to control...

but tried a conti car - no problem....that is the difference between conti and jap... 

You talk until like conti cars got sorcery lidat...

More likely the Civic's suspension was lowered and tuned by some backstreet mechanic that changed the handling characteristics, plus some kayu driving, of course.

A PHV driver is subjected to a lot of stress.

He made mistakes and things he shouldn't do, but he did it.

Typically for me as a PHV driver:

1. If I don't have a passenger, I keep to the slow lane, just following cars or even buses slowly (as an excuse) and wait for a ping (the call to pickup a rider). No point rushing when you have nowhere to go.

2. When the ping comes, I have to quickly push the button to accept and wait for a couple of seconds, which feels like eternity, to know where to go.

3. Very often, at this point, I'm coming to a traffic junction or esp the app like to have fun with me; at the split between TPE, PIE or Upp Changi Rd. It's a split second decision to go straight, turn or keep left or right. When navigation says turn left, but I'm already going straight, I just keep going straight. I'd rather make a loop than caused an accident. This is where kanchiong spider, may suddenly make a turn.

If I have riders in the car, I typically keep to lane 2 on expressways.

1. I have a responsibility to the riders; to bring them safely to a destination at a reasonable speed.

2. Rushing is usually not an option. If they demand or threaten, I can always kick them out and cancel the ride.

3. If I have kids or babies in the car, then I drive even more carefully.

For navigation, Waze is all important to me. It loaded quickly from Uber app. However, sometimes it hang looking for a server. At this point, I'm "free" driving, heading for where I think is the best direction. It's hard to have a quick "mental" map of where you are and where you're going. It's all different each time. It's also at this point, I'm honked and flashed, bcuz I'm slow, but I ignore them.

Unlike, an office worker who knows exactly where to turn coming out of the office for home or vice versa, bcuz he does this countless time.

When Waze is working, which is most of the time, I'd occasionally push it forward to know where is the next turn and how far away, usually when stopped at a traffic light. Some riders might see me fiddling with the phone and might even report me for dangerous driving.

Now, not PHV drivers will behave like me. Some have a target. They rush, they speed, bcuz time is money.

I'd rather make less, and have a less stressful drive, but that's me.

My licence is 30 yrs old. I have no desire to have it revoked or suspended. I have a zero accident rate.

So I'd rather keep it that way.

As everyone knows, defensive driving is the way. You maintain a reasonable speed. You keep your distance. You let idiots cut into your lane, you don't retaliate, bcuz you're carrying passengers.

Although I'm not a PHV driver, I'm a regular user of Waze and can attest that it can be slow or unstable at times. Seems like the app needs to acquire GPS signal (not only 4G/wifi) before it can plot the route. Sometimes when it is unable to acquire GPS (while under shelter or bad location/weather), the app will hang and needs to be closed and reloaded.  

So I understand that in those situation, it'll be even more stressful for a PHV driver.  Thanks for your explanation.

FWD car understeer around a bend. I think the driver tried to counter by dunno doing what. Either dunno or too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwmDdMzzDjY

Towards the end of the video you will see that to reduce understeer best is to soften the front sway bars and front spring rates but do chao ah bengz and ricer boys do that? They do the opposite. So now you know.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

ha ha... you might really hate hoggers.

but i think the important consideration is that TP and the law hates those speedsters who chiong 30-40 km/h above their speed limits even more that you hate hoggers hor...

There are 3 lanes on that road. Cam car was overtaking the large vehicles in lane 3, and going at around 80. The speeding lorry was likely going at 100 km/h to be able to overtake cam car that quickly.

There might have been some history leading up to the cam car taking video, but from the clip, it doesn't dilute the fact that the lorry was grossly speeding.

And for a lorry with a big compartment like that (which could be fully loaded) to be speeding like that, it is really quite dangerous. Just imagine if it's fully loaded, and the lorry were to swirl a little bit to either side and it overcompensates.... there could be another case of another bike/car/human becoming sardine like what was seen in the now infamous typhoon clip where the guy try to support his lorry before it toppled on him...

Aiyo 30-40kmh above vehicle speed limit (for lorries vans etc) is crazy.

To overtake, sometimes one has to exceed the speed limit.

We don't know for sure, maybe the lorry after that chionging moment went back to cruise at 80kmh after that?

That being said, Hogging is hogging regardless of speed. One can be going at 110kmh at lane 1, but he is technically still hogging if he does not give way to a faster vehicle behind him.

• Praise 3

FWD car understeer around a bend. I think the driver tried to counter by dunno doing what. Either dunno or too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwmDdMzzDjY

Towards the end of the video you will see that to reduce understeer best is to soften the front sway bars and front spring rates but do chao ah bengz and ricer boys do that? They do the opposite. So now you know.

no, he undered, so panic = he turned more + lifted throttle and brake, weight transition up front gave the front wheels grip = lift-off oversteer. Tried to counter but spun into wall instead.

maybe he would have made it if he just committed and reduced steering angle to get back front grip. might have had the space to get away with it. 

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 2

Although I'm not a PHV driver, I'm a regular user of Waze and can attest that it can be slow or unstable at times. Seems like the app needs to acquire GPS signal (not only 4G/wifi) before it can plot the route. Sometimes when it is unable to acquire GPS (while under shelter or bad location/weather), the app will hang and needs to be closed and reloaded.  

So I understand that in those situation, it'll be even more stressful for a PHV driver.  Thanks for your explanation.

Waze needs to acquire gps signal, so it knows where you are exactly. It also needs to contact a routing server of some sort using mobile phone network. If either is not available, then it doesn't work.

Uber app has a navigation button, which you press to launch these apps, select either Waze, Google Maps or Uber Map.

I believe it works by passing on gps coords.

In my experience, I think Uber app is also part of the problem when it passed certain coords that is not exactly where the access point of the location is, then you're left hanging outside the area and needs to find your own way in. Example is Tanglin Trust School somewhere in Portsdown Rd. I was left hanging outside Portsdown Rd with a fence between the Rd and the School and dunno how to access.

But if you were to search for the School by name, Waze is able to route you correctly into that School.

Google Map is much worse. It left me stranded by the side of JTC Summit Bldg at Jurong East and dunno how to get in to the correct pickup location or road.

It usually happens with large buildings or a cluster of buildings facing multiple road fronts and you dunno where is the exact access point. Going to the wrong road and you'll never be able to enter.

Edited by Kb27

no, he undered, so panic = he turned more + lifted throttle and brake, weight transition up front gave the front wheels grip = lift-off oversteer. Tried to counter but spun into wall instead.

maybe he would have made it if he just committed and reduced steering angle to get back front grip. might have had the space to get away with it. 

You are probably right. The reflection on the windscreen made it difficult to see.

Waze needs to acquire gps signal, so it knows where you are exactly. It also needs to contact a routing server of some sort using mobile phone network. If either is not available, then it doesn't work.

Uber app has a navigation button, which you press to launch these apps, select either Waze, Google Maps or Uber Map.

I believe it works by passing on gps coords.

In my experience, I think Uber app is also part of the problem when it passed certain coords that is not exactly where the access point of the location is, then you're left hanging outside the area and needs to find your own way in. Example is Tanglin Trust School somewhere in Portsdown Rd. I was left hanging outside Portsdown Rd with a fence between the Rd and the School and dunno how to access.

But if you were to search for the School by name, Waze is able to route you correctly into that School.

Google Map is much worse. It left me stranded by the side of JTC Summit Bldg at Jurong East and dunno how to get in to the correct pickup location or road.

It usually happens with large buildings or a cluster of buildings facing multiple road fronts and you dunno where is the exact access point. Going to the wrong road and you'll never be able to enter.

I now learnt one condo that the waze GPS give lead to Hdb blk area, and when reach Hdb block area and need to turn out to condo, it will take a good 5 to 8 minutes to go to that condo. The location is..

post-14834-0-94092700-1505124898_thumb.png

The waze GPS lead me to circuit road blk 17 multi story carpark. When I reached than realized that the condo is on my left, to go to that condo, I need to exit circuit road and enter by paya Lebar road and it took me additional 8minutes to go to that condo.

So waze GPS is not that good also, must really know the road well, if not when GPS lead to nearest service road and that service road is not the condo or building location or GPS lead to the back of the building where there are no entrance, sometimes it will take more then 5minutes to u turn to main entrence..

How I wish waze to have a reporting function in the app itself. In the event that the GPS lead to back road where there is no entrence or lead to the nearby service road which is not the condo or the building, report through that app and let the waze staff rectify the wrong location.

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

Last sat morning, this red taxi almost case a chain collision due to he want to filter to left most lane last minure and exit expressway. There are many heavy vehicles travelling quite slowly and close to each other on last lane. So what happened is red taxi is on the 2md lane and need to filter to last lane before he could exit expressway. 

I was following behind taxi about 6 to 8 car length, suddenly I saw taxi hit brake I also brake, but never did I realized that he continued brake from 80plus km/h to almost crawling speed around 20km/h. I quickly brake hard to almost crawling speed and the rear van not attentive enough and almost bang onto me, but luckily 1st lane got no car and the van quickly filter to 1st lane, and because another car behind could not see what's happening in front of the van due to the vision is blocked by the van, when the van filtered out to 1st lane, can see the car behind also surprised that I am at almost crawling speed and quickly jam brake. Luckily all managed to slow down in time.

This one really.. If want to filter out of expressway last minute, be considerate and not suddenly brake from 80 or 90km per hour to almost crawling speed. This action could cause a chain collision.. 

I saw that happening rite in front of my eyes before on the expressway  .......

Van love to speed and when front jam brake , they will skid . 

You lucky lor ...... i also ever saw 6 cars piling up .  :XD:  .... 

• Praise 3

A PHV driver is subjected to a lot of stress.

He made mistakes and things he shouldn't do, but he did it.

IMHO,  stress should not be part of the equation - it is a choice. 

Please see attached map where the accident happened.  

From the map you can see why there are 3 lanes turning here.  It's because heading straight is almost going to end of road and few cars will take that route...  That's why LTA reserves only 1 lane for going straight... And turning lanes can lead to expressway ahead... so designed to have more turning lanes....

The attached map is not updated.  Google Map is also not updated.

Perhaps the likely reason why there are 3 lanes turning is because during morning peak,

there will be heavy traffic build up along Punggol Field Road and Punggol East because of 

the junction.  A lot of vehicle will try to squeeze into the left lane (after the junction) towards

the only lane to the temporary road leading to KPE. 

Maybe the PHV is trying to do just that instead of going straight ? 

Edited by Kklee

hahhaaa.....u are right.,

Becos there are too many illegal turn-right drivers (on the left most lane which is ONLY going straight towards Tebing lane)

i wrote in to LTA to change all three lane to turn right to ease the traffic heading towards Sengkang.

I think it was the most logical thing to do.

Good to have someone like you wrote in to LTA.

Not for me. [;)]

I usually drive between 8~10 hrs only. Rest is important.

After paying off rental and petrol, maybe about $3k

Does it mean that if you in your 50 Plus, house fully paid up, children all working, just got retrenched... this is a good job.

Some side income, work when you like, some time to kill, reason not to stay at home and face Wife...

I say this is a nice job...

• Praise 1

Pink car was going faster than what his hands could cope with.. 

No sound track to accompany this, but I can almost hear the "eee... pang!".. seen such an incident personally before..

As for that Jag driver.. sigh, I feel quite indignant, that someone had to die, but that biker was really going very quickly, and if he didn't hit that Jag, he would have hit someone or something else..

He didn't treasure his life.

• Praise 5

Today when I was at tyre shop, got a PHV Honda stream came to shop with a flat rear tyre. He got a second hand used tyres for $35.

I looked at his tyres and notice the other tyres also wearing off.. so now he has 3 quite worn off Michelin tyres and another Nakang used tyres at the rear left now.

I chat with the driver and ask him his other tyres all wearing off, why not change the rear tyres as a pair? At least use same tyres on the rear since it's only $35 per tyres.. safer.

He keep saying car left 3 months...

Not as if he tyre cost $350... it's $35.. I advised him that different tread design on the rear very dangerous. But he keep saying it's ok he will drive slowly

• Praise 1